Editing oddity involving italics

H

HandsInTheDark

I submitted "Becoming Marie..." a week or so back, as an .rtf. I've just noticed that almost everywhere italics was used, the italics vanished and the spaces on either side of the italicized section are gone. So if 'told' was in italics, as in "I *told* him to be careful." It became "Itoldhim to be careful."

It's still readable, but it really messes up the sense of a few sentences. How do I fix?

I submitted "Becoming Marie..." a week or so back, as an .rtf. I've just noticed that almost everywhere italics was used, the italics vanished and the spaces on either side of the italicized section are gone. So if 'told' was in italics, as in "I *told* him to be careful." It became "Itoldhim to be careful."

It's still readable, but it really messes up the sense of a few sentences. How do I fix?

I just cut and paste into the submission box with the italics coded (<i> and </i>). Works a charm. Sometimes the simplist approaches are the best.

I follow the same method SR uses without any problems.

You can submit an edit to fix the story. Just add the italics codes and c/p the document into the submissions box. Then add EDIT behind the title. You can check your italics by clicking preview. If everything looks right, send it through. If not, you can make more corrections and check it again.

That's how I post, too, using cut-and-paste and coding for the italics.

This is a good way to discipline yourself to use italics sparingly, btw.

When I submitted Succubus Rising I submitted it as .rtf and had no issues with the italics that I've seen, and I have entire chunks of the story in italics. I put a note in the notes box to keep all formatting. I don't know if that would have made a difference for you.

However, I think if any subsequent submissions have italics in them, I will use the method mentioned above and code them into a copy/pasted document. Getting Succubus Rising into one document and send it as .rtf was a pain... :rolleyes:

The story in question is much too big for the submit text box. (And I certainly don't want to cut it into little pieces). I'm assume that sticking <i> in the .rtf files will work, for my next story.

I'm just startled that it's necessary. I assumed there was an automated .rtf=>HTML tool in use to convert stories over, and that it could get this right. (If I remember, World can do this with a single Save As). Maybe not?

The story in question is much too big for the submit text box. (And I certainly don't want to cut it into little pieces). I'm assume that sticking <i> in the .rtf files will work, for my next story.

I'm just startled that it's necessary. I assumed there was an automated .rtf=>HTML tool in use to convert stories over, and that it could get this right. (If I remember, World can do this with a single Save As). Maybe not?

I don't think there's a limit to what fits in the box. I've pasted 10-20k word stories and I'm sure others have done longer ones.

I don't think there's a limit to what fits in the box. I've pasted 10-20k word stories and I'm sure others have done longer ones.

I'm not aware of a word limit for the submission box either.

There really isn't a word limit. Text files are small anyway.

What I did was do a search of the web for "html codes" and easily got a list of them. The only ones I use are italics, <i> and </i>, and centering <center> and </center>

The other option is to submit as a file to preserve formatting. There's a caution that the approval time will be longer. Never done it myself so I cannot comment on this method.

There really isn't a word limit. Text files are small anyway.

What I did was do a search of the web for "html codes" and easily got a list of them. The only ones I use are italics, <i> and </i>, and centering <center> and </center>

The other option is to submit as a file to preserve formatting. There's a caution that the approval time will be longer. Never done it myself so I cannot comment on this method.

From early experience, I think c/p with html is much more likely to preserve formatting than submitting a Word file.

Back