The AH Coffee Shop and Reading Room 02: A Comma (is a Restful Pause)

Status
Not open for further replies.
One way ride to the morgue. :eek:
Don't make me come up there and tie you to the bed.

Give me some warning so I can bring my camera :)

Thanks. :rose:

I'm not good at resting. When I know there are things to be done, I do them. Like grocery shopping. Laundry. Dishes. Vacuuming. :rolleyes:

Best Wishes, Madam.
:kiss:
However, it's time (I suspect) that you get your head around the concept of deferring a job or three.
That said, it took me awhile. . . .

One way ride to the morgue. :eek:

Don't make me come up there and tie you to the bed.

Uh huh. All threats and no follow-through. :kiss::rose:

Give me some warning so I can bring my camera :)

Best Wishes, Madam.
:kiss:
However, it's time (I suspect) that you get your head around the concept of deferring a job or three.
That said, it took me awhile. . . .

I'm struggling with that big time. :kiss::rose:

I had a pleasant evening with family and about 500 guests. My artist daughter had a piece in a fundraising exhibition so we went to see. The place opened at six and people were waiting in line by four. We got into the exhibit space about fifteen minutes after the opening and her piece was already sold. The woman who was working that display said it sold three minutes after they opened the door.

A woman there was interested in the piece after it sold, so the daughter may be able to sell more.

We got our pictures taken for a local magazine, then had dinner out with the artist and her husband.

It would have been more fun if I could shake this damned cold.

I had a pleasant evening with family and about 500 guests. My artist daughter had a piece in a fundraising exhibition so we went to see. The place opened at six and people were waiting in line by four. We got into the exhibit space about fifteen minutes after the opening and her piece was already sold. The woman who was working that display said it sold three minutes after they opened the door.

A woman there was interested in the piece after it sold, so the daughter may be able to sell more.

We got our pictures taken for a local magazine, then had dinner out with the artist and her husband.

How exciting for your daughter. Congratulations.

Ropes or straps? :rose::kiss:
Or, 'ukes or mandos? Same thing but less messy.

I was going to expostulate on 'ukes but I'm tired now. But I'm excited that Ohana is releasing a line of vintage-type instruments, reproductions of those popular almost a century ago. I'm especially hot for their Tiple (TEE-play), the ancestral tenor 'uke with ten steel strings emitting much rich sound. These were very popular with black blues and jazz groups of the 1920s-30s.

Egad, I'm facing another week without coffee. I should write a song about that.

Or, 'ukes or mandos? Same thing but less messy.

I was going to expostulate on 'ukes but I'm tired now. But I'm excited that Ohana is releasing a line of vintage-type instruments, reproductions of those popular almost a century ago. I'm especially hot for their Tiple (TEE-play), the ancestral tenor 'uke with ten steel strings emitting much rich sound. These were very popular with black blues and jazz groups of the 1920s-30s.

Egad, I'm facing another week without coffee. I should write a song about that.

Facinating. You should write a thing about the instruments and the effect on the sound by the shape (10 string ?)

Meanwhile, it's time for breakfast, so Coffee is well up on the list.

PS. Tx: Straps, I suggest; they'll leave a better-quality mark on the skin.

That is a wonderful story. I always love to hear of artists in every realm succeeding, it gives me hope for my own writing. Congratulations to her. :rose:

So, tonight is supposed to be a bit 'special', in that the Moon is at its brighted and biggest (218000 miles as opposed to the maximum of 247000 miles away).
A good night to take a picture or two, right ?
Alas, no (well, not so far); for as that poem put it "The Moon was ghostly galleon, toss'd aabout cloudy seas".
All we got so far is a bright patch of cloud !
And it's cold !

Wasson the box tonite, eh ?
Coffee first !!!

Facinating. You should write a thing about the instruments and the effect on the sound by the shape (10 string ?)
Besides Tahitian, Fijiian, and other nonstandard 'ukes, fairly Hawai'ian-ish 'ukes include 3-, 4-, 5-, 6-, and 8-string versions. The acoustic ones usually look like little guitars, although pineapple, bell, harp, and delta variants exist. Electric 'ukes can go all fantasyland.

'Uke necks are attached to small banjo bodies. My banjo-'uke is about a century old, and its re-entrant tuning gives it that classic ringing-banjo twang. I sorta lust for a dobro 'uke with a booming metal resonator.

The 10-steel-string tiple looks just like tenor 'ukes because it's their ancestor. My 12-string 'uke-like axe is really a central Mexican quatro, quite different from Puerto Rican and Columbian quatros. It looks like an oval-hole A-type mandolin but plays like an 'uke.
_____

Body shapes of acoustic 'ukes and mandos affect sound less than do their 1) body size, 2) soundhole shapes, 3) wood used, and 4) interior bracing.

1) Smaller bodies -- sopranino, soprano, concert -- are brighter and tinklier. Larger axes -- tenors, baritones, mandolas -- are deeper and usually louder.

2) F-shaped soundholes (in mandos and some dobro 'ukes) project sound more. Round or oval soundholes give a more spread-out sound projection. I love the rich tones of oval-hole mandos.

3-4) Thicker woods make quieter instruments. Thin light solid (not ply) woods resonate best. Bracing and internal architecture are above my pay grade.
_____

Strings, stringings, and tunings also greatly affect sound. String tech gets pretty arcane so I'll skip that. Tunings are fun when they're close to standard. Just drop any 'uke's top string from A to G and it's in open tuning, great for many slidey effects. Tune all strings up a whole tone for a brighter sound. Today's CGEA standard is a whole tone lower than a century ago.

Ah, restringing. Replace the 'uke's standard bottom hi-G string with a lo-G (an octave down) and it's more mellow than ringing. Replace all a 'uke's strings with the right set and it fingers like a mandolin (if soprano) or mandola (if tenor). Or try strings of varied makeup. String that Tahitian 'uke with 20-pound-test fishline.

Some multi-string-course setups invite change. If the course is in unison, swap one for a lower octave for richer sound. Put the desired octave string where it's more likely to be picked on up- or down-strokes. For deeper sounds, lower octaves toward the outside. For more distinct notes, put higher octaves on the outside.

Next: comparing the 8-string taropatch, 10-string tiple, and 6- and 12-string cuatros. (But not the 10-string quatro.)
_____

Fuck, I managed all that without coffee? Am I acclimating to deprivation? "I'm depraved on account-a I'm deprived!"

Last edited:
Besides Tahitian, Fijiian, and other nonstandard 'ukes, fairly Hawai'ian-ish 'ukes include 3-, 4-, 5-, 6-, and 8-string versions. The acoustic ones usually look like little guitars, although pineapple, bell, harp, and delta variants exist. Electric 'ukes can go all fantasyland.

'Uke necks are attached to small banjo bodies. My banjo-'uke is about a century old, and its re-entrant tuning gives it that classic ringing-banjo twang. I sorta lust for a dobro 'uke with a booming metal resonator.

The 10-steel-string tiple looks just like tenor 'ukes because it's their ancestor. My 12-string 'uke-like axe is really a central Mexican quatro, quite different from Puerto Rican and Columbian quatros. It looks like an oval-hole A-type mandolin but plays like an 'uke.
_____

Body shapes of acoustic 'ukes and mandos affect sound less than do their 1) body size, 2) soundhole shapes, 3) wood used, and 4) interior bracing.

1) Smaller bodies -- sopranino, soprano, concert -- are brighter and tinklier. Larger axes -- tenors, baritones, mandolas -- are deeper and usually louder.

2) F-shaped soundholes (in mandos and some dobro 'ukes) project sound more. Round or oval soundholes give a more spread-out sound projection. I love the rich tones of oval-hole mandos.

3-4) Thicker woods make quieter instruments. Thin light solid (not ply) woods resonate best. Bracing and internal architecture are above my pay grade.
_____

Strings, stringings, and tunings also greatly affect sound. String tech gets pretty arcane so I'll skip that. Tunings are fun when they're close to standard. Just drop any 'uke's top string from A to G and it's in open tuning, great for many slidey effects. Tune all strings up a whole tone for a brighter sound. Today's CGEA standard is a whole tone lower than a century ago.

Ah, restringing. Replace the 'uke's standard bottom hi-G string with a lo-G (an octave down) and it's more mellow than ringing. Replace all a 'uke's strings with the right set and it fingers like a mandolin (if soprano) or mandola (if tenor). Or try strings of varied makeup. String that Tahitian 'uke with 20-pound-test fishline.

Some multi-string-course setups invite change. If the course is in unison, swap one for a lower octave for richer sound. Put the desired octave string where it's more likely to be picked on up- or down-strokes. For deeper sounds, lower octaves toward the outside. For more distinct notes, put higher octaves on the outside.

Next: comparing the 8-string taropatch, 10-string tiple, and 6- and 12-string cuatros. (But not the 10-string quatro.)
_____

Fuck, I managed all that without coffee? Am I acclimating to deprivation? "I'm depraved on account-a I'm deprived!"

I have no idea, but your lesson was well-received.
The reason I sk is because I was never very good at school, and all-too-often had to stay behind to do some work again. Now, my teacher valso taught music, so I got my reas poundeed by a student going up and down the scales on the old piano, or trying may a mandolin sound good.
Double strings (4 twins) and it wasn't too bad, in the end. At the end of one term I was in a position to recogise a mis-fingering or something.
At the end of a year, I understood /recogise major & minor keys (although I could never play one).
So your piece about instruments I've never heard of (Dobro, quatro ?) make a certain sense to me.
My sincere thanks.
Have a cup of tea with me ?

This cold has me wiped out. I've taken three naps today and I'll probably go to bed early. I got a little writing done between naps, but not much. It's hard to think.

This cold has me wiped out. I've taken three naps today and I'll probably go to bed early. I got a little writing done between naps, but not much. It's hard to think.

I know exactly how you feel. Woke up this morning with aches, pains, and a stuffy head. Housemate made waffles. I ate and went back to bed. A cold and a food coma kept me there until after noon.

Now the sinuses are trying to drown me one minute and won't let me breath the next. I've vegetated in front of the idiot box and have not one idea of what I actually watched.

I'm thinking very seriously about going back to bed.

I know exactly how you feel. Woke up this morning with aches, pains, and a stuffy head. Housemate made waffles. I ate and went back to bed. A cold and a food coma kept me there until after noon.

Now the sinuses are trying to drown me one minute and won't let me breath the next. I've vegetated in front of the idiot box and have not one idea of what I actually watched.

I'm thinking very seriously about going back to bed.

Well then let's both get better asap.

I have no idea, but your lesson was well-received.
The reason I sk is because I was never very good at school, and all-too-often had to stay behind to do some work again. Now, my teacher valso taught music, so I got my reas poundeed by a student going up and down the scales on the old piano, or trying may a mandolin sound good.
Double strings (4 twins) and it wasn't too bad, in the end. At the end of one term I was in a position to recogise a mis-fingering or something.
At the end of a year, I understood /recogise major & minor keys (although I could never play one).
So your piece about instruments I've never heard of (Dobro, quatro ?) make a certain sense to me.
My sincere thanks.
Have a cup of tea with me ?
It'll have to be herb tea. I'll gag it down. But no chamomile.

Meanwhile, mandos do take some getting used to. Their tuning in 5ths make it easy to move a few chord or scale patterns around the fretboard, and give a wide melodic range. But the WAYS to play those chords or scales are more limited than guitar-'uke tuning (in 4ths plus a 3rd).

Dobro is a brand name, now almost generic like xerox or spam and indicating something with a steel resonator-plate setup. The ultimate of that type for me is a National all-steel-body, as seen in many Johnny Winter photos.

Quatro... well. like 'guitar', that covers many sins.

A guitar may be acoustic or electric or both, with 1-18 metal or synthetic or gut strings, or none, more like a theremin. The body may be solid or hollow or imaginary, just a wire frame. It may be a (pedal) steel or Hawai'ian 'guitar' which is actually a zither. Big or small, it may have one-to-many necks.

A quatro can also take many forms. The name may mean it has 4 strings or courses, or that it's the '4th' stringed instrument in a band, or that it's tuned all in 4ths. Or a maker may just like the name. Whatever.

The traditional Venezuelan quatro is something like a baritone 'uke. Its tuning, the oldest known for European stringed instruments in the colonial Americas, is tuned opposite to a 'uke. Traditional 'uke tuning puts high notes on top and bottom, as g-C-E-a. The Venezuelan quatro has lowest notes on the outside, as G-c-e-A. (By convention, lowercase notes are higher than uppercase notes.) I own an appropriate set of nylon quatro strings. Now I need the instrument.

I possess about 2.5 quatros.

* My 10-steel-string (five doubled courses) Puerto Rican quatro is more like a 3/4 size 12-string guitar minus the low course. I don't consider it an 'uke-like object.

* My 12-steel-string central Mexican quatro-menor has 3 strings per course, usually with each course in unison, although I add octave-lower strings in the middle courses to give the shimmering sound more depth.

* My tenor 6-string 'uke is strung pretty much like a Venezuelan quatro with low strings on top and bottom, sort of. The courses are tuned G-cC-e-Aa. In those octave courses, flat- or finger-picking can emphasize the lower or higher octave.

More later. Bedtime now. Zzzz...

Last edited:
I always wonder why they always shot the banjo player. Now I know. There weren't any ukulele players present. :D

I'm feeling a little better but... I think a shot of Jack and another blanket might do the trick.

The morning coffee is prepared, the first one through the door needs to hit the button on the front. After that, business as usual.

I always wonder why they always shot the banjo player. Now I know. There weren't any ukulele players present. :D

I'm feeling a little better but... I think a shot of Jack and another blanket might do the trick.

The morning coffee is prepared, the first one through the door needs to hit the button on the front. After that, business as usual.

Erm . . ."hit the button on the front" ??
What Button ?
Hang on; <finds glasses and puts them on>;
Oh - THAT Button; Right.
Thank You kindly.

Ye gods but it's a grim morning round here. Leaden clouds and very wet roads. No fun at all.

Time I think, to drink that coffee. . . .

Hey, banjos are a whole 'nother thang. I only have 5 banjo-like objects in the house and they never venture outside. Not only because of bears and pumas -- some of the neighbors are armed.

Well, I may disguise the banjo-mandolin in a tennis racquet bag. It almost fits. Not that tennis is socially acceptable up here in cracker country. The tennis courts in the nearby county park are mostly used for keg parties and certain tortures. But I digress.

Q: How can a banjo player drive faster?
A: Take the pizza sign off the roof.

Q: Why is a banjo better than an 'ukulele?
A: Burns longer.

Some folks leaving a guitar in a car return to find it stolen. Some folks leaving a banjo in a car return to find two more banjos, a stringless soprano 'uke, and three rusty jews-harps or maybe a couple of old harmonicas. Life is like that.

https://encrypted-tbn0.***********/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTCcAHfDCaqKomOMTK1Mmqf-U63zUtRmaxbdPh_f6OsYvk5ZVQU

Just past midnight. That wasn't much sleep. It never is now. I sleep like a wolf: get up every couple hours to pee and pace. And like a wolf, no coffee.

Y'all stop by now for a fresh pot. Maybe I'll catch a contact high.

Last edited:
Hey, banjos are a whole 'nother thang. I only have 5 banjo-like objects in the house and they never venture outside. Not only because of bears and pumas -- some of the neighbors are armed.

Well, I may disguise the banjo-mandolin in a tennis racquet bag. It almost fits. Not that tennis is socially acceptable up here in cracker country. The tennis courts in the nearby county park are mostly used for keg parties and certain tortures. But I digress.

Q: How can a banjo player drive faster?
A: Take the pizza sign off the roof.

Q: Why is a banjo better than an 'ukulele?
A: Burns longer.

Some folks leaving a guitar in a car return to find it stolen. Some folks leaving a banjo in a car return to find two more banjos, a stringless soprano 'uke, and three rusty jews-harps or maybe a couple of old harmonicas. Life is like that.

https://encrypted-tbn0.***********/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTCcAHfDCaqKomOMTK1Mmqf-U63zUtRmaxbdPh_f6OsYvk5ZVQU

Just past midnight. That wasn't much sleep. It never is now. I sleep like a wolf: get up every couple hours to pee and pace. And like a wolf, no coffee.

Y'all stop by now for a fresh pot. Maybe I'll catch a contact high.

OK.
I got the coffee, but why, oh why does stuff like "Lester Flatt and Earl Scruggs - Foggy Mountain Breakdown (Original 1949)" have to have a bloody violin included ?

Meanwhile, I'll find the coffee.

OK.
I got the coffee, but why, oh why does stuff like "Lester Flatt and Earl Scruggs - Foggy Mountain Breakdown (Original 1949)" have to have a bloody violin included ?

Meanwhile, I'll find the coffee.

That ain't no fuckin' violin. That there's a fiddle.

On a separate issue, Welcome to Moanday and another week of toil for you work-a-week peoples.

Time to freshen up the coffee for our late bloomers.

That ain't no fuckin' violin. That there's a fiddle.

On a separate issue, Welcome to Moanday and another week of toil for you work-a-week peoples.

Time to freshen up the coffee for our late bloomers.

Sure looks like a violin.
Go on then, wassa diffrence ?
Tea please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back