Phishing Windows phone call warning

NaokoSmith

Honourable Slut
Joined
Jul 10, 2012
Posts
9,973
Dang it! these things really happen. I read about this one on FB, so I was duly warned.

My phone rang this morning and when I answered someone said that he was from Windows and that there were major problems which would cause my computer to crash. Did I have it open in front of me right now?

Well, no, because I was taking laundry out in a brief pause while drafting my story (which I always do by hand using an engraved fountain pen on my antique writing slope).

But I was wise to him anyway. I said: "Look, I am not going to give you remote access to my computer. I have no idea who you are really."

Before I could even finsh the sentence he had hung up!

So be warned! :cool:
 
Dang it! these things really happen. I read about this one on FB, so I was duly warned.

The first time I got one of these calls, I Googled "Windows security scam" while I was on the phone and read the results to them. Ended the call fairly quickly. :D
 
I ask them if they can fix my problem with DOS 3.1 not recognising my 5.25 inch floppy...
 
I just ask to speak to the head geek, Bill Gates, 'cuz I have a bone to pick with him about Windows 8...What was he thinking?
 
Windblows? We don't need no stinking Windblows.

Too damn right!

tatice-linux-tux-10409.png
 
Dang it! these things really happen. I read about this one on FB, so I was duly warned.

I got a call last week on my cell phone from RESTRICTED. He identified himself as Microsoft tech support and said he was detecting errors or something similar. I was out in the garage working no where near a computer. But I needed a break so I decided to have some fun. He had a strong Indian accent, so I asked him where he was located. He said San Diego so I asked him about the weather and other things about SD until he started getting frustrated. The only one he could answer was, "It's sunny."

He told me he could fix my problem if I were at the computer. I lied and told him I was. He told me to hold down the Windows key and press R. I told him I did so. He asked me to do something else and I told him I can't. There's nothing on my screen. It's solid blue.

He told me to do it again. He asked me what I saw. I told him it was now solid red.

He said he didn't think I was doing it right. Do I know what the Windows key is? I told him yes and described it as a little flag. He said try it again. I told him the screen turned blue. You could here frustration in his voice.

He asked me to reboot. I waited about 20 seconds and told him it was ready. He had me do Windows-r again. I told him the screen was blue. Try it again. Now it's red. He said, "What's wrong with your computer?" I told him, "You're the expert. You tell me!"

This went on for a few more minutes and he blurted out, "You're wasting my time!" I didn't tell him, but I was thinking, "That's the point, asshole."

We went a few more blue/red rounds and after 15 minutes on the phone, the rude bastard hung up on me. These guys never give up.
 
So what exactly do they ask you to do?


I just got a message from "BMW" that I "won" 100,000 pounds from a "lucky draw". I was requested to call back immediately.

:rolleyes:
 
So what exactly do they ask you to do?

They try to trick people into downloading "antivirus" software that's really malware that gives the scammers remote access to their machines, presumably including things like online banking passwords.
 
"Remote Desktop Connection" is what it's called (or "Remote Desktop")
Make sure you do not permit it to be on.
It was originally enabled to permit System Admins to fix a computer from the dizzy heights rather than coming down to fix it personally.
 
They try to trick people into downloading "antivirus" software that's really malware that gives the scammers remote access to their machines, presumably including things like online banking passwords.
I've never received such a call.




I feel offended. :mad:
 
Upgrade to Windows 10

I've just had a warning via my community policing website.

Beware the 'Microsoft Phone Scam'

With the release of Windows 10, the scam known as the 'Microsoft phone scam' is likely to rear its ugly head again.

Microsoft operating system chief, Terry Myerson, announced at the launch that current users of Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and Windows Phone 8.1 will be able to upgrade to the new operating system for free as long as they do so within one year of the Windows 10 launch on 29 July 2015. Once you install the upgrade, it's permanent.

So if you, or anyone you know, is contacted by someone claiming to be from Microsoft and asks for payment to upgrade or payment for support for Windows 10, it is a SCAM!
 
I've just had a warning via my community policing website.

Beware the 'Microsoft Phone Scam'

With the release of Windows 10, the scam known as the 'Microsoft phone scam' is likely to rear its ugly head again.

Microsoft operating system chief, Terry Myerson, announced at the launch that current users of Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and Windows Phone 8.1 will be able to upgrade to the new operating system for free as long as they do so within one year of the Windows 10 launch on 29 July 2015. Once you install the upgrade, it's permanent.

So if you, or anyone you know, is contacted by someone claiming to be from Microsoft and asks for payment to upgrade or payment for support for Windows 10, it is a SCAM!


If anyone at any time rings from Microsoft and asks you for credit card details or cash in any form, they aren't from Microsoft. they NEVER do this.
 
That's Malaysia and Thailand mostly. :D


Anyway, I heard they're offering a free windows 10 widget to download the file. It's 3 GB in size. Where can I get that?
 
I heard they're offering a free windows 10 widget to download the file. It's 3 GB in size. Where can I get that?

It just pops up in your window LOL. My computer guy said it was just an effort to find out how many people would be interested in it, so you don't necessarily get it immediately by clicking on that and not to bother.

That's Malaysia and Thailand mostly. :D
There - you can see how little I know about these things. It's obvious from my avatar that I am a real pussy ;)
 
I get the calls 3 or 4 times a week on my landline - my fault for having the same phone number for 25 years. I always tell them I don't have a Windows computer. (I do, but it's a 98SE laptop for music production, not connected to the internet. It has a great B3 organ sim.) If I had more free time, I'd try the stringing-along thing, but I don't.

When you think about it, these poor schmucks in India are just trying to make a living like everyone else. They probably have a wife and kids, and bills to pay, and that's the only job they can find. People on Wall Street are doing the same thing - scamming people for a living - and they get to be millionaires and mentors to all the rich kids coming out of the Ivy League schools to strike it rich in the big apple.
 
Grr! Microsoft Windows 10 has infested Solitaire with adverts. You have to pay an annual fee to get an advert-free Solitaire.
 
Grr! Microsoft Windows 10 has infested Solitaire with adverts. You have to pay an annual fee to get an advert-free Solitaire.

123 Free Solitaire works great for a replacement in Windblows.
 
That's Malaysia and Thailand mostly. :D

Some of them are very, very pretty.

Try the Alcazar show in Thailand for a change of view. ;)


Anyway, I heard they're offering a free windows 10 widget to download the file. It's 3 GB in size. Where can I get that?

It just pops up in your window LOL. My computer guy said it was just an effort to find out how many people would be interested in it, so you don't necessarily get it immediately by clicking on that and not to bother.

I think, you need to have your drivers up to date for the widget to roll in. If any drivers, even one as menial as the bluetooth one, is malfunctioning or not compatible, you won't get an update widget.

Don't worry though, you've got until July 30, 2016. :)
 
Last edited:
Some of them are very, very pretty.

Try the Alcazar show in Bangkok for a change of view. ;)
When I first ventured onto the gay scene, I didn't know any lesbian women so I used to go out with my gay guy pals. There weren't usually women at the clubs they went to. Sometimes I would get very excited at seeing a most beautiful woman, immaculately dressed! but would usually realise before I attempted to chat her up that my dishonourable intentions might not be welcomed :(
 
Back
Top