Beyond Time (closed)

"I'll never get bored of you, Ash." Dylan said as he gave her that handsome grin. "Never in a million years."
 
"You say that now. But just wait until I drown myself in work. You'll get sick of me then." He stole a kiss before taking her hand to lead her down the loch shoreline.
 
"Well, I'll just have to interest you in other things then." Dylan said as he took her hand and led her down the shoreline, showing her the beautiful views of the loch that Inverness was famous for. "When we start having children, I expect you to cut back on your work. I want you to spend time at home with them."
 
"I wouldn't dream of staying away. Besides, Henry wouldn't let me. He already dismisses me far more often just for you." Ashien looked off toward the southern shore, smiling at the sight of a bunch of children throwing snowballs and building little tunnels. It did his heart some good to see that the common folk were recovering, coming home after fleeing from Wick and Norway.
 
"You love this place, don't you?" Dylan murmured as she watched the smile spread across her husband's lips as he looked out over the loch at the children that were playing. "As long as we're both alive and able, we'll come back once a year. That's my promise to you, Ash."
 
"It took a long time to love it. But between Ma and Brogan... I finally saw it for how beautiful it was when life started to come back and Brogan took over." Ashien looked back to Dylandra. "You can't tell me you haven't at least started to fall in love with this place."
 
"I fell in love with you." Dylan said, chuckling as Ashien looked at her with that honest gaze. "But I will admit that it's pretty magical here. I'm glad that we're doing this wedding. It will give your brothers and sisters and Ma a chance to have a happy event."
 
"I think it's safe to say we all need it. But that's what weddings tend to be in this family... A little bright spot to end hard times." Ashien glanced back out over the loch and smiled to himself. "I think the only thing that could make this place more magical is if that legendary dragon came out. But I'll leave it to Annie to find her."
 
"I'm going to paint your family. I've already spoken to Boar about it and I think he's a little dubious that I can get the twins to settle long enough to do it. Maybe I could use your help to keep them distracted." Dylan murmured.
 
"Keeping rambunctious Ghis children still is like trying to herd cats, love. You might be able to manage one, but never more than that. You might be able to get a sketch down but you'll have to keep calling them back from playing for references."
 
"Which is why I need their Uncle Ashien there to help keep them under control." Dylan said with a grin towards her husband. "I think it will be a fun and interesting challenge. A whole series of paintings for your family."
 
The two wandered and explored for hours after that, discussing potential pieces of art and of course the state of the family and how long they could stay. Henry wouldn't call them back quickly after all that had happened.

When they returned, they found Kayla out and about, keeping close either to her handsome Irish captain or to one of her siblings. Selena and Durban seemed particularly watchful of her.

Ashien met his twin with a tight embrace as the two couples met, Christopher standing respectfully back with a nod to Dylandra.

"Hello, my love," Ashien murmured to Kayla, kissing her forehead.
 
Kayla hugged her brother so tightly as he took her in his arms, her weakness still showing but tempered with a stubborn resolve that the Ghis seemed to have. She had still felt poorly but she demanded a walk with Christopher. It had done her a world of good to be in the chilly Inverness air.

“I wanted to get out of the keep.” Kayla said softly.
 
"Good... I imagine it's nice to get away from the stuffy rooms and nosy family."

Dylandra had met the two once before and encountered them in the keep, but Kayla seemed to be slowly resuming her role as the little sister that kept her brothers in line, albeit far less cheerily than before. Dylan had heard her brothers-in-law mention Kayla would probably never be the same lively little delicate flower she'd once been. And now there was worry about Norway on her mind. She was its widowed queen now and she didn't want to think about it.
 
“I’m not afraid of our family.” Kayla said softly as Ashlie held her even tighter. “I’m afraid of everything else in this world.”
 
"Me too, love," he muttered, holding her for a long moment before holding her at arm's length. "You know where to find me if you need me. And Ballas will be happy to come to you anytime."
 
"He checks on me a few times per day." Kayla said as he mentioned their pet tiger. "I think he's just as worried as everyone else is. But I promise I'll be alright."
 
"Doesn't stop me from worrying." Ashien sighed and looked to Dylandra and then Christopher. "I suppose we've both got people to make sure we'll get better."
 
“I suppose. I’m glad there is someone to keep you in line. I’ve always worried.” Kayla said with a small smile to her twin brother. “You’re always too busy for anything.”
 
"I still am," Ashien kissed her cheek before the couples parted. He offered his arm back to Dylandra once more as they headed for the keep.
 
"You adore your sister, don't you?" Dylan asked as they walked into the keep, heading towards their rooms to relax. "You light up when you are with her in a way that I don't get to see very often."
 
"She and I have been through some of the best and worst parts of our lives side-by-side. As a little boy, I knew I would drop all my painting and reading Vincenzo's journals at a moment's notice if she needed me, and that dedication grew every time things turned for the worst." Ashien glanced over to Dylandra. "My older siblings made a pact that we youngest would never face our father's wrath. But eventually, I joined the side of the protectors when I was old enough, though Tamblin never got too angry at me as to hurt me. I was the one standing between Kayla and Oliver Colton and all his twisted men."
 
"She's a bit like your Ma. Both have a fragile soul." Dylan murmured as Ashien explained why he protected his twin sister so fiercely. "I just hope that she can find her way in all of this."
 
"... I hope so," Ashien murmured, not able to reassure himself. He had a good idea of what had happened to his sister, and he wasn't sure if sweet Kayla could recover.
 
“We’ll all help her if she allows it.” She said as Ashien murmured to himself, unable to reassure himself that his twin would ever be herself again.
 
Back
Top