Best Friend Genre needs help

ZAWonderBoy

Virgin
I've been a reader for a long time. Many stories have influenced my own story, but one thing really gets under my skin. The "Best Friends become lovers" story lines really need help. I sometimes wonder if the writers themselves have actually had a relationship like that.
Speaking from my own experience, l seriously doubt it.

I'm not trying to be mean here, but very few of the storie that I have read actually shows the characters go through the inner conflict. The risk involved is huge. Years and years of friendship is at stake. These characters go from being friends to sexcrazed lovers in a paragraph. There is no buildup, no turmoil. It is as if the writer MUST have the sex scene played out in the first 800 words.

REALY?!

I get imagination. I get artistic freedom. I get that. But I'm not going to write something I have not experienced personally or seen happen. I know nothing about Bdsm, or weird fringe fetishes, so I won't be writing about it.

I've always been told to stick to what you know. And for this genre I think it is a good idea. If you became lovers with you childhood buddy, then there is a progression. There is fear. There is doubt etc. These are the things that make this story line so great.

As a reader, these are the things I miss in this Genre.

I've always been told to stick to what you know. And for this genre I think it is a good idea. If you became lovers with you childhood buddy, then there is a progression. There is fear. There is doubt etc. These are the things that make this story line so great.

So write your own stories in the genre.

There's little point coming here to say, "please change your writing to suit me" - if folk are writing "best friends become lovers" stories the way you describe, it's coz that's what they want to write.

Someone wrote a song once, "You can't always get what you want." This applies to writing just as much.

I have read a few stories that might fit into your good "Best Friends become lovers" stories category:

"Only Yours" by DKAspie https://www.literotica.com/s/only-yours-1
"Vibrations" by LukasGrey https://www.literotica.com/s/vibrations-5
"Seven Years Since The Motel" by LettersFromTatyana https://www.literotica.com/s/seven-years-since-the-motel-ch-01

Anyhow, people have different tastes, some just like those two page stroke stories packed with action. If you don't like them, then don't read. Find something you like instead.

Good points all. The thing with Literotica is the vast bilk of the Authors here are total amateurs, and I include myself in that grouping although my ambition is to be less so. If you pick a Literotica story at random you can pick endless holes in it because most people here are writing something tha appeals to their particular interest. They're not skilled writers, on the whole. They may write one or two more stories, find out that writing is a lot harder than they thought or just exhaust their interest and stop.

Very few actually study writing and work to improve themselves. Very few continue beyond a few stories and here we all write on Literotica for free so we pick topics that interest us.

So Best Friends become Lovers is one theme amonst thousands and the odds of finding a really good Best Friends story is low. You need to search hru to find the gems that sparkle and shine. They are there but finding them, that's the challenge....but don't expect literary gems from what are, by and large, amateur writer indulging in their kink.

Writing a good story is a lot harder than it looks, as I found out when I started myself. It's not a skill that flowers overnight, it takes dedication, effort and constant practice as well as a desire to learn and improve and the bulk of Literotica authors don't have that. Many do but there's thousands of authors who write here.....and on this forum you have a tiny subset, most of whom are interested in writing as a craft so you're preaching to the converted.

All of that said, you're right, you made some good points but none of the writers who you're complaining about are here or will read this. But I feel for you... it's so hard to find really outstanding stories on Literotica. They're there but it's a free website where Authors and readers pay nothing - and in essence, you get what you pay for. It's up to you as a reader to find the good stories.

WAR AND PEACE is about friends who become lovers. Takes forever.

And ever. Amen. That book was sooooo hard to read. I read it when I was about 12 after watching the DVD and I kind of forced myself to finish. I've never read it again but I did go on and read a few other Russian classics. Oblomov by Goncharov, Dr Zhivago, A Hero of Our Time by Mikhail Lermontov, some Turgenev (I like his short stories). I failed on Dostoevsky miserably. Solzhenitsyn put me to sleep I'm afraid.

I've been a reader for a long time. Many stories have influenced my own story, but one thing really gets under my skin. The "Best Friends become lovers" story lines really need help. I sometimes wonder if the writers themselves have actually had a relationship like that.
Speaking from my own experience, l seriously doubt it.

I'm not trying to be mean here, but very few of the storie that I have read actually shows the characters go through the inner conflict. The risk involved is huge. Years and years of friendship is at stake. These characters go from being friends to sexcrazed lovers in a paragraph. There is no buildup, no turmoil. It is as if the writer MUST have the sex scene played out in the first 800 words.

I share your tastes on this issue, but I think electricblue66's advice is the best you're going to get - if the sort of story you like is missing, that's an opportunity to write it yourself. That's pretty much how I got started here.

Perhaps you could be more specific in the best friends department of what you mean? Are you directing it at male/female, female/female, male/male or male/transgender type relationships/ friendships?
šŸŒ¹KantšŸ‘ šŸ‘ šŸ‘ 

I'm not trying to be mean here, but very few of the storie that I have read actually shows the characters go through the inner conflict.

So, are there any stories of this type that you think get it right?

Recommend those stories, promote them and popularize them. If you're trying to get more stories of a particular type written, "These stories are great, you should read them and try to emulate them" seems like a better path than "All of your stories suck; stop sucking."

You might also try the Incest genre, since there are a lot of longer stories there that are pretty chock-full of anxiety and inner conflict over changing the nature of the relationship, and you probably get a pretty similar dynamic from, say, "cousin you grew up with" as "girl-next-door best friend".

Upvote and comment nicely on the stories that meet your criteria. Doesn't matter the category, that's the best way to encourage a writer to write more of that kind of story. It also helps others with similar taste find those stories. And, if stories like that start getting more 5-star votes, more authors will start writing them.

With all that said, apparently, the OP has never enjoyed the thrill of a FWB relationship?

Back