2003 Survivor Discussion Thread

Let's say that when your number is drawn on Wed, you have until that Friday to claim it. You will say which category you will use it in, and from that point on that particular category will be closed to you. This is to prevent that tactical insurance system.

I understand (and agree) up to the part about saying which category you will use your immunity in and sticking with it. But - does that mean you can't go on to write a story for that category and then just get one point for it instead of three?

Also has it already been decided that we won't have a public scoreboard?
 
Chicklet said:
and the immunities thing? does everyone agree with that?

That works for me...I mean why would I use an immunity in say, celebrities when it's likely I'll end up with like 5 or 6 stories in that category. Much better for me to use it in say, illustrated stories, which I have no desire to write or participate in, and then I don't have to worry about it every again.

And I think if they're posted on wednesday, then having until midnight on friday going into saturday gives you plenty of time.

Beyond that, if you run out of categories you want immunity in (hey, it could happen...maybe) you can just decline to use your immunity.

I also think the guidelines on the non-english stories and audio and all that are fair.

However, I would really still like to see a public scoreboard. Posted throughout the year, and not just in December. Just my 2 cents
 
jon.hayworth said:

Have a nice day now - next step Who wants to be Major-Domo of the Chain Story?

jon

I have an idea for a Chain Story, but damned if I'll be Major-Domo! I wonder if I'll get stuck going first again....
 
Only one last thought.....Novellas. I see by the thread a lot of people are thinking of useing their immunity for it because of the amount of work involved for only three points and that does strike me as fair.

How about rasieing it to ten and capping it at two?

Just a thought.

:p
 
Hey Chicklet

Would be be EVER so kind as to recap in it's entire, what has been desided so far?

Pretty pretty please? I feel I might be missing something somewhere...

And, on a side note, the story I submitted that was too short? I worked for like an hour and a half with Paint to make an illstration for it, then reworked the story to be longer, better, harder...and when Lit went down it ate it just as I completed it.

:(

Never submit a story, I discovered, with the same title as one that's been rejected.
 
Questions Answered

DarlingNikki said:
I understand (and agree) up to the part about saying which category you will use your immunity in and sticking with it. But - does that mean you can't go on to write a story for that category and then just get one point for it instead of three?

That's excatly what it means - 2 pts will be the max amount you get for that category.


DarlingNikki said:
Also has it already been decided that we won't have a public scoreboard?

Okay, it looks like a lot of people *do* want the scoreboard. About as many do as don't. I had planned to have the immunity tracking up by tonight (well, this morning...I work until 11 pm Pacific Time) but if we post the scoreboards we won't need the tracking. I'll wait until tomorrow to decide - everyone can have their say.
 
PoliteSuccubus said:
Only one last thought.....Novellas. I see by the thread a lot of people are thinking of useing their immunity for it because of the amount of work involved for only three points and that does strike me as fair.

How about rasieing it to ten and capping it at two?

Just a thought.

:p

While it is tempting, I think I like it just the way it is. After all, there's no promises that people that submit a story into that category won't write two 750 word chapters...wouldn't be fair for them to get 10 pts each for them.

Maybe bring the idea up again next year, when the mod that takes over from me gets to make some new rules = )

Chicklet
 
Re: Hey Chicklet

PoliteSuccubus said:
Would be be EVER so kind as to recap in it's entire, what has been desided so far?

Basically, all stories submitted to any category can ONLY be submitted to that one category (all originals, whether non-english, audio, or erotic couplings)

All work must be done by author, photography, audio reading, and translations.

PoliteSuccubus said:
Never submit a story, I discovered, with the same title as one that's been rejected.

I'm sorry to hear that that happened to you; however, the moral is: save your story before submission.

Chicklet
 
Just to double check...

Is the scoring going to stay as it was in KillerMuffin's 2002 thread? If not, will you be adding the 2003 scoring in writing somewhere Chicklet?
 
Re: Just to double check...

BlessedBe said:
Is the scoring going to stay as it was in KillerMuffin's 2002 thread? If not, will you be adding the 2003 scoring in writing somewhere Chicklet?

It's going to be much the same. I'm just editing the rules and such and then I'll submit the thread like she did last year. I'm working on it right now = )

Chicklet
 
Chicklet,

That's excatly what it means - 2 pts will be the max amount you get for that category.

If that is the case, then the rules need to be revised on the immunity thread:

8) Immunities are treated like First stories. If you use an Immunity in a category and post a story to that category, the story will only be awarded 1 point.

I might be hesitant to use an immunity in a given category then because if over the course of a year I find my imagination/writing skills/experience level/knowlege base increasing (and I'm entering this contest in the hopes of that happening) then I won't be able to use my new skills to try out a story in that category. I mean, I can still write the story, I just won't get a point for it.

Is the immunity meant to be a mixed blessing like that?
 
yes, a mixed blessing indeed. you must use strategy in placing them, because you won't be able to erase them

the reason that the rule on the immunity thread reads like that is because when i posted it, the rules hadn't been set in stone. I'll go edit it right now = )

Chicklet
 
Chicklet,

Are Illustrated Poems and Poems with Audio not allowed in this contest? :confused: You only listed Erotic and Non-Erotic Poems in the scoring list.
 
I was checking out illistrated and was wondering:

How to get the pics to go where you want? I want to get it right the frist time and not by trial and error. :D
 
BlessedBe said:
You only listed Erotic and Non-Erotic Poems in the scoring list.

That was a boo-boo.

I posted a thread that wasn't updated - I'm sorry.
 
PoliteSuccubus said:
I was checking out illistrated and was wondering:

How to get the pics to go where you want? I want to get it right the frist time and not by trial and error. :D

theoretically you can put a note in "LAUREL! PUT PIC HERE!" but with my story, it didn't work that way...

Chicklet
 
Scoring Sheet Mistake

I'm sorry guys, I messed up and didn't add the new categories to the template. You'll have to go in and add them, or else click Quote under my post like you did before, copy, press back, edit your post, and paste the new template.

I'm really sorry about the problems, and thanks for not being too mean and poking fun at me = ) I will be bending over for my public flogging at noon tomorrow.

Chicklet
 
From Immunity Thread - Questions Answered

Just-Legal said:

Sorry. I'm in one of those daft moods. Just subbed Ch3... do I need to stick *Survivor Contest* on it? I'm still a lil confused.

And call me Helen or I'll get more confused!!

You don't need to write "survivor" in the box - it's not going to be placed in any special category for the contest. Just submit it like usual, and then when it's posted either post it on your score sheet, or keep the info in your head until December.

Chicklet
 
Back
Top