Hammered – an Ode to Mickey Spillane” - the 2023 Story Event Official Support Thread

I followed the previous Hammered events with interest, lots of great hardboiled stories! Thanks for initiating this, ChloeTzang. This year I plan to participate myself. I'm working on a mafia-themed rescue mission turning into a sexual encounter.

Oh, great! I love it when something like this encourages stories..... :)

My story is in the queue. Very short (for me) at only about 3K words. But it's full of violence and betrayal! Yay!

My story is in the queue. Very short (for me) at only about 3K words. But it's full of violence and betrayal! Yay!

I'm looking forward to reading your story and everyone else's. I also need to get started on my own contribution to the literature. I have the plot and the clues to solve it ready to go, and just need to finish my current story and start on the Spillane Challenge story...

When I hear Mickey Spillane, I think Irish Mafia. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

If I decide to do this, can it be mafia themed???

I just finished the first draft of my a story I am planning to submit for this year’s challenge, my first ever challenge or contest entry. I wrote it cold and was pretty happy with how it turned out. Then I went back and read some of the entries from previous years and now I’m feeling intimidated. Eeeek! (Just looking for a little sympathy here). Haha.

I just finished the first draft of my a story I am planning to submit for this year’s challenge, my first ever challenge or contest entry. I wrote it cold and was pretty happy with how it turned out. Then I went back and read some of the entries from previous years and now I’m feeling intimidated. Eeeek! (Just looking for a little sympathy here). Haha.

LOL. We all start somewhere, and that's one of the reasons I like organizing "events" - they're not competitive and it's a good place to start and you end up with a really interesting mix of stories. Best way to get better at it is to write more and often, and you only get better with practice. So dive in, no need to feel intimidated at all - we all had that moment where we hit submit on that first competition entry and gulped nervously. LOL. The "events" only really started off a few years ago I think, and when I organized my first one, the whole intent was to create a venue for everyone, new and old, to cut loose without the constraints and stress and competitiveness of a competition. So hop to it, buddy. Get writing and hit that submit button lol

Looking forward to it. Still writing mine. Up to 190k words and flying..... gulps. It's a novel, dammit!!! I meant to write a short story but it just grew.
Sigh.

5k and just getting started hardly counts. I doubt I'll get it finished in time. When's the drop dead date for submissions?

Sigh.

5k and just getting started hardly counts. I doubt I'll get it finished in time. When's the drop dead date for submissions?

Submission deadline: July 15th-30th (stories submitted & posted)
Event date: final anthology list posted on Monday July 31st 2023

Plenty of time to get it done she says, sweating blood. I really want to get mine in this year. I missed the last 2, and I've postponed some other stuff to get this one completed!!!!

He was a paper tiger, and I wanted to watch him burn.

Love it!

Mine is in progress. I try to come up with some Spillane-ish lines, but I don't know how successful my meager attempt to imitate the great Mickey Spillane will be. I *am* making it into a whodunnit, leaving clues and seeing if the readers can solve it, so we'll see if it sufficiently entertains everyone.

Last edited:
I have 2 stories that I'm working on, that COULD go here, if finsihed in time.

1 is from the POV of a detective....staying with what the author Mickey Spillane was famous for.

1 is from the POV of a mafia member.....since when I hear the name Mickey Spillane, I think of the Irish Mob Boss.

It looks like mine got posted early.

Your story got a ”posted date” of 7/31 so it’s at the top of the LW new story list again today. You’re going to get a ton of extra views because of that.

I need to get busy and submit my story so I can enjoy some of that sweet “top of the list” action too. 😄

Your story got a ”posted date” of 7/31 so it’s at the top of the LW new story list again today. You’re going to get a ton of extra views because of that.

I need to get busy and submit my story so I can enjoy some of that sweet “top of the list” action too. 😄
I still don’t know what happened there. Best I can guess is that in submitted it a few weeks ago, and it got set for future publication on 7/31. Then, a couple days back, I made a few changes and resubmitted it. When it got approved, I think somehow it got pushed out to live, but still with that 7/31 on it. It got pushed out in the middle of the day, too, which is weird; I usually only see that with posts from the Literotica account. I wonder if it’s going to be at the top of LW every day until then, or at least until it gets fixed?

Back