Do Other Authors Use Twitter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe that falls-or should-under hate speech which is a violation....issue is the inconsistent designation of hate speech. My personal opinion is that it should still be allowed although it is hurtful to people, and my reasoning is let everyone see that person for who they are, and it reminds us that this crap is out there and those reminders are needed seeing media and politicians have beaten the word racist so badly into the ground they've turned people deaf to it, so real life examples are all that's left to keep people mindful of the reality of it behind the over the top woke BS

But as far as leftist twitter goes let's do this. On Twitter Jordan Peterson had his account banned for hate speech because he said there were only two biological genders.

No, that is not what happened.

Twitter doesn't forbid people from expressing the belief that "there are only two biological genders", and AFAIK it never has. Searching the site will pull up many, many examples of folk saying that without consequences.

Here is a screenshot of the relevant tweet, which JP made in response to a NY Post story about Umbrella Academy actor Elliot Page's gender transition:

1672750655287.png

As you can see, there's nothing whatsoever in that tweet about how many genders there are. Rather, he's talking about a specific transgender person, making a point of using Page's pre-transition name ("deadnaming") and referring to him as "her". That is against Twitter policy, which Peterson would very likely have known when he posted it, seeing as how "Help Help I'm Being Oppressed For Being Politically Incorrect About Transgenders" is basically his personal brand. As Simon commented re. Literotica, it's not unreasonable for a forum operator to decide that they don't want forum users directly targeting other users with personal insults, which is what Peterson was doing here.

(IMHO talking about a stranger's breasts like that is kinda gross, as is calling somebody a "criminal" for performing legal surgery on a consenting adult, but Twitter doesn't ban people just for being creepy and gross.)

Further - and feel free to consider this nitpicking if you like - Peterson wasn't actually "banned" from Twitter.

Twitter has a couple of different levels of action they can take against accounts which they deem to have broken the rules. Banning, aka "permanent suspension", is the big one: your account is permanently locked, nothing you can do to get it back, unless Twitter management have a change of heart. Under the old management, this was fairly uncommon outside of blatant spamming, single-purpose harassment accounts, and people who persistently violated the policy. (These days though, you can get banned for just about anything that hurts Elon's feelings - the guy who claimed to be the champion of free speech had one user banned for posting publicly available flight tracking information about Elon's jet.)

The milder level of action, what Peterson got, what most people get for a one-time breach, is a temporary suspension. You get notified that one of your posts violates their policies, and your account is suspended (can't post, tweets hidden from other users) until you agree to delete the offending tweet. Then the suspension gets lifted and you get your account back. About two months after his suspension, Peterson did exactly that, because he wanted to do some kind of "housekeeping" on his account.

I'll grant that "you can come back but you have to delete that tweet" isn't full free speech, but it's misleading to characterise it as a ban.

I see this because I sit center in my beliefs, some right, some left, and based on where my personal feelings lie, not having to adhere to one mindless group like most everyone here does. Because I look at both sides equally I know they're both trash, they both spread hate and fear and want division which the herd has happily given them

The problem is that you're so addicted to "both sides suck" you'll accept and repeat any story that validates that position without checking whether it's actually true.

No, that is not what happened.

Twitter doesn't forbid people from expressing the belief that "there are only two biological genders", and AFAIK it never has. Searching the site will pull up many, many examples of folk saying that without consequences.

Here is a screenshot of the relevant tweet, which JP made in response to a NY Post story about Umbrella Academy actor Elliot Page's gender transition:

View attachment 2199465

As you can see, there's nothing whatsoever in that tweet about how many genders there are. Rather, he's talking about a specific transgender person, making a point of using Page's pre-transition name ("deadnaming") and referring to him as "her". That is against Twitter policy, which Peterson would very likely have known when he posted it, seeing as how "Help Help I'm Being Oppressed For Being Politically Incorrect About Transgenders" is basically his personal brand. As Simon commented re. Literotica, it's not unreasonable for a forum operator to decide that they don't want forum users directly targeting other users with personal insults, which is what Peterson was doing here.

(IMHO talking about a stranger's breasts like that is kinda gross, as is calling somebody a "criminal" for performing legal surgery on a consenting adult, but Twitter doesn't ban people just for being creepy and gross.)

Further - and feel free to consider this nitpicking if you like - Peterson wasn't actually "banned" from Twitter.

Twitter has a couple of different levels of action they can take against accounts which they deem to have broken the rules. Banning, aka "permanent suspension", is the big one: your account is permanently locked, nothing you can do to get it back, unless Twitter management have a change of heart. Under the old management, this was fairly uncommon outside of blatant spamming, single-purpose harassment accounts, and people who persistently violated the policy. (These days though, you can get banned for just about anything that hurts Elon's feelings - the guy who claimed to be the champion of free speech had one user banned for posting publicly available flight tracking information about Elon's jet.)

The milder level of action, what Peterson got, what most people get for a one-time breach, is a temporary suspension. You get notified that one of your posts violates their policies, and your account is suspended (can't post, tweets hidden from other users) until you agree to delete the offending tweet. Then the suspension gets lifted and you get your account back. About two months after his suspension, Peterson did exactly that, because he wanted to do some kind of "housekeeping" on his account.

I'll grant that "you can come back but you have to delete that tweet" isn't full free speech, but it's misleading to characterise it as a ban.

The problem is that you're so addicted to "both sides suck" you'll accept and repeat any story that validates that position without checking whether it's actually true.
Take a good look at social media and American Society, then get back to me. It takes two sides to completely and irreparably divide an entire nation, and that's where we are.

Only a fool completely trusts one party, one religion, one ideology and one side of a story.

We're living in Jonestown, good news is I'm told the punch is to die for.

I appreciate people speaking up on my behalf, but it is not necessary. I have been called worse things by much better people. I am not going to be bothered by the petulant whining of a cartoonish pseudo intellectual poseur.

I tried to stay out of this discussion, as I don't use Twitter or any other social network. Yet I feel I have to support certain things that have been said here. Woke Left and PC movement have introduced certain dogmas in every type of media in existence. It can easily be seen in all the mainstream media, movies, social networks, even writing. They allow complete freedom of speech WITHIN the said dogma, but you are under no circumstances allowed to question the dogma itself, otherwise, the type of reaction you get resembles a medieval mob that is calling for a burning on a stake.

We're living in Jonestown, good news is I'm told the punch is to die for.

We're not living in Jonestown. Come on. There's an element to your argument that I agree with, but you undermine it with gross hyperbole.

It ought to be pointed out that the information released in the "Twitter files" has been careful curated to create an impression of one sided moderation. In fact, the original report stated that both left wing and right wing content had been treated unfairly, but Musk has released only that information which gives an impression that only the right was victimized.

I appreciate people speaking up on my behalf, but it is not necessary. I have been called worse things by much better people. I am not going to be bothered by the petulant whining of a cartoonish pseudo intellectual poseur.

It wasn't just about sticking up for you, although I felt that was a sufficient reason to speak up. I was pretty sure you were thick-skinned enough to deal with it. But attacks like his bring this place down, and I don't want to see it turned into a sewer that turns people away. Tilan is perfectly free to make his views heard, even if they are controversial, and I have no objection to that, but he's not entitled to attack people personally. I've felt the same way in the past when the occasional AH contributor--usually someone new--has done similar things. I think it's appropriate to take a hard line on personal attacks and report them to the Site.

Exactly what Simon said. I am very much for freedom of speech for any kind of beliefs, left or right, as long as you focus on arguments and keep a basic level of human decency in communication. I called out certain people in a different thread for going ad hominem so easily. Many people in this forum resort to that, although within a certain limit. But even that limit has been crossed in a very insulting and primitive way and I think it is best to ignore it, so thumbs up to Melissa for doing exactly that.

For personal reasons, I like to keep my virtual life, my other virtual life, my virtual virtual life and my other other virtual virtual life neatly partitioned.

It keeps me virtually sane.

Using the “ignore” function is amusing. It makes me smile every time the “you’re ignoring content by this member” message pops up.

If I used Twitter, Facebook, or some other social media site, it would have to be under my Mary Wollstonecraft pen name and not in any way connected to my real name, real social media accounts, or everyday life. This is my guilty pleasure, both writing and reading.

Does the person you're ignoring know that you're ignoring them when you do that?

And then you click on it. :LOL:
I clicked on your post for the first time since I put you on ignore months ago.

Rather surprised that you're still here, delighted to hear that your empty-headed pomposity is on its way out the door (promises, promises).

More surprised that you've upped your game, if that's the right phrase, from being generally worthless as a poster and a fiction writer to being an absolute piece of shit.

Run along, now.

I clicked on your post for the first time since I put you on ignore months ago.

Rather surprised that you're still here, delighted to hear that your empty-headed pomposity is on its way out the door (promises, promises).

More surprised that you've upped your game, if that's the right phrase, from being generally worthless as a poster and a fiction writer to being an absolute piece of shit.

Run along, now.
That's the guy!

Does the person you're ignoring know that you're ignoring them when you do that?
I don't think so. There's no "so and so is ignoring you" message.
Best test would be to reply to someone a few times if they don't reply back...

https://forum.literotica.com/goto/post?id=96223071I clicked on your post for the first time since I put you on ignore months ago.

Run along, now.
I only knew it was the guy, because it said, "You are ignoring this member." If I wanted to know what it said, I'd have clicked the thing, but it doesn't matter to me what it said. I only read comments by human-beings, not living assholes.

This thread, including the injection of politics and personal attacking, has become what most of us have tried to keep the AH from being. I suggest that those of us who want to keep this crap out of the AH just stop posting to this thread.
Good advice. I'm done.

Honestly in awe how the mere mention of Twitter unleashed most of the worst aspects of Twitter in this thread. There’s a reason the foundational rule of the internet is don’t feed the trolls.

Ironically this thread did make me think making a Twitter account for my literotica stuff would be a good idea. Certainly easier to communicate with readers than the comment system here.
Unlike a few here, especially Keith D who pretends he's not an insulting troll, I own whatever I say and do.

Alina had to make sure they threw a whiny Elon Musk reference in instead of just answering do you use it, from there I decided not to let their snark go unnoticed because hit and run is the motif, and I egged it on from the opposing viewpoint.

Sometimes I can't help ringing the bell and others can't help responding.

But where I may generalize, I don't take direct cheap personal shots at someone, especially something so personal.

I leave that for lowest common denominator.

Topic at hand, it can't hurt to have one and doesn't cost anything except a little time.

I was reading a How To article from Silkstockingslover where they mentioned utilizing Twitter to interact with fans and grow an audience. The social side of things sounds really fun to me, but I have a hard time keeping up with forums like here.

So I wanted to ask:
  • Are there many other Authors who use twitter?
  • How successful or beneficial has it been for you?
  • I have general concerns of anonymity, does Twitter risk that?
  • Lastly, what are some author handles so I can see first hand?

Thanks all :) always enjoy chatting with folks here.
There is a boatload of authors on Twitter, very supportive group. Not just erotica but all genres. I interact with a few of them, but read quite a few of their tweets also. My only negative would be since I had a link back to my stories on Lit.com, the women bots are always showing up in my DM's.

Alina had to make sure they threw a whiny Elon Musk reference in instead of just answering do you use it, from there I decided not to let their snark go unnoticed because hit and run is the motif, and I egged it on from the opposing viewpoint.
You seem very protective of someone who has shown the whole world what an illusion their supposed genius is.

Nobody but you and the site know who you ignore (unless of course you tell them). I suspect some might figure it out by how you respond, and who you respond to, depending how clever they are. Some are smarter than others, but the clever bar is set pretty low.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back