Hard to read high multi chaptered stories

storm_usmc

Experienced
I expect to take a lot of criticism for this comment, but I really don't dig stories that have more than a few chapters. My longest is going to be four. I don't even read them if they go in teens. I find the writing and plot don't capture my interest as much. There are very few exceptions to this rule. Bosom buddies and Saturday Night School being the minor exceptions. Does anybody else feel that way? I see so many stories now that are so many chaptered and it drives me nuts.

I prefer short stories. If I want something longer, I'll read a book. Much easier on my eyes.

I've got an easy solution for you - don't read them, if you don't like them.

For every reader like you, there's a person who loves long stories. There are writers for you, writers for them, and there are writers for everyone in between.

People get triggered by the weirdest things lately. Seriously. Are you being forced at gunpoint to read those multi-chapter epics? Otherwise there's no reason to read them if you don't want to.

I'm a long-form writer myself, but apart from my first major piece, I've moved away from dozens of chapters to long, self-contained entities. And I'm sure there's someone out there fuming why I'm not splitting these long-ass stories into smaller, more easily digestible bits. No matter what I do, there's just no winning this.

I'm also put off instinctively by many-multi-chapter stories, mainly I suppose because I fear they will never really end, or they'll go off the rails into some weird direction.

That said, I have been tempted into writing a few multi-chapter tales, so I can see how it happens - and about half the stories I've written could all be said technically to form a single long sequence, even though most of the chapters were written to be standalone, i.e., same characters and timeline, but distinct stories.

I expect to take a lot of criticism for this comment, but I really don't dig stories that have more than a few chapters. My longest is going to be four. I don't even read them if they go in teens. I find the writing and plot don't capture my interest as much. There are very few exceptions to this rule. Bosom buddies and Saturday Night School being the minor exceptions. Does anybody else feel that way? I see so many stories now that are so many chaptered and it drives me nuts.

Well, it goes against some advice I read somewhere that suggested not to break work in chapters if less than four are planned. Then, it is also believed that views of the third or fourth chapter more closely resemble actual readership than first chapter clicks that usually is much higher number, so some authors may see chaptered works as advantage in both exposure and statistics quality.

However you might be on to something, it is a bit weird. I have no problem with long stories (like that excellent Sci-Fi book that went on for 106 or so LitE pages, somewhere close to 400k words in single piece), but if there's dozens of chapters I may be reluctant to jump in if not already a follower, and more likely to drop out midway. I may also check out some random chapter before going back to beginning. Then I do that in bookstore too (and sometimes pay for already read books), so maybe that is even advantage for chapters not a fault.

Last edited:
My erotic attention span is too short for long series. Also, I fear the author doesn't know where it will end.
As for my writing, my first story series was meant to be short, but I got persuaded into continuing it. But it never finished anywhere interesting. Nowadays I have the story planned to the last chapter before I start writing and don't start publishing until it's all done. I publish as multiple chapters if the story ticks all of:
1) It's long
2) Each part offers something erotic
3) There are natural breaking points

Incidentally, that's also a pretty good description of my penis. Almost.

I must admit I don't have a plan somethings will lend it self to a larger volume of parts. I am still learning what works best for me. There is no right or wrong here it is horses for courses. Hmm how many chapters do I need to reply. Maybe just write a poem instead

All we need is another poem of great love
Crescendo of words released with doves
Aim for overblown epic like Homers Iliad
Result more Bart Homer Simpson's silly lad

Everyone wants to write their masterpiece
My defining moment I want to release
I lift up my armpit and smell the perspiration
All I need now is to find the inspiration

I realise I have it inspiration in hand
A paeon to my penis is what i have planned
After all my penis mightier than the sword
Celebrate its prowess just need the right word

Ladies convince me good idea bad one in disguise
Talk of my unmentionaballs and they roll their eyes
I guess it must be back to the drawing board
For the one great poetic moment and muse restored

Perhaps i should try a noble sonnet
Actually my mind isn't on it
Surely I can manage a three line haiku
Must be allergic sneeze atchoo

I want to write poetry so sublime
Can just flow don't need rhyme
Maybe now isn't the time
So i leave you with this wordcrime

I think that most of us who write long multi-chapter stories are aware that we are sacrificing readership in doing so. For me, the integrity of the story telling is the paramount concern. If it take 10 chapters, 30 chapters, 100 chapters, that's what it takes.

I think that most of us who write long multi-chapter stories are aware that we are sacrificing readership in doing so. For me, the integrity of the story telling is the paramount concern. If it take 10 chapters, 30 chapters, 100 chapters, that's what it takes.

Agreed. I have only written a few stories as of yet. Short. I write for the reader but I also write what my spirit/mind leads me to.

Agreed. I have only written a few stories as of yet. Short. I write for the reader but I also write what my spirit/mind leads me to.

If it doesn't feel right to you, I don't know how you could expect it to feel right to your readers.

I got to a point where I checked the number of pages or possible extra chapters before I even started reading a story. Too long --- I never even started reading. Just moved on to another.

Agree this. Which is why it's important to either commit to regular instalments come hell or high water, as you have done Melissa (the woman only stopped for five minutes, folks, to get married); or commit to getting the whole thing written before it gets published, so you can say, up-front, this thing is long, folks, but it's complete - which is what I did with my novel length Dark Chronicles which took a year to write.

Some things just have to get written, and longer works can be incredibly satisfying just from the sheer amount of development and characters/character building that can go on - but by the same token, I get that people die a natural death with some of the endless yarns that just go on forever, or those that peter out and die because the author got bored, ran out of ideas, or died themselves. But I think you can spot those pretty easily, and bail out.

But to have a policy, "I don't read long pieces, just because" - well, you can miss out on some pretty good writing.

Every story has a life span. That life span is determined by the authors imagination and their ability to tell a story and the individual preference of the reader. As long as a story is good and in a category the reader enjoys I think that the majority of readers will stick with it.

So the root of the question has more to do with making an informed decision for your own story. You didn't say how long your chapters are going to be, but if they are one or two pages then it may be best to just combine them all into a one piece story.

I'll read a longer story, but usually I have to put in the reading list to get to it when I have the time. I've written a couple of multi-chapter stories, but that was when I was thinking an 8 page piece might be too long. I also had the entire series completed and submitted all at one time so the site could push them out every few days. Obviously, the chapter breaks would need to be in appropriate places that make sense too.

It also depends somewhat on what category you are witting in. Some, like Romance and Sc-Fi are very receptive to long stories...some are more geared for something less complex, etc. But if you don't like reading the long ones, chances are you wouldn't want to write one either...and you're writing for fun, so be sure to have fun ;)

For me I go for the longer stories,one or 2 pages arnt enough,you need to know about the characters,there history or experiences,and what is happening, story lines and surely short stories cant give you that

I've read several stories that were multiple chapters. One of my favorites is 'Justin Thyme' which is around 17-18 chapters. As a volunteer editor I've edited some multiple chapter stories. All of their plots and character development held up to the end.

Agree this. Which is why it's important to either commit to regular instalments come hell or high water, as you have done Melissa (the woman only stopped for five minutes, folks, to get married); or commit to getting the whole thing written before it gets published, so you can say, up-front, this thing is long, folks, but it's complete - which is what I did with my novel length Dark Chronicles which took a year to write.

Some things just have to get written, and longer works can be incredibly satisfying just from the sheer amount of development and characters/character building that can go on - but by the same token, I get that people die a natural death with some of the endless yarns that just go on forever, or those that peter out and die because the author got bored, ran out of ideas, or died themselves. But I think you can spot those pretty easily, and bail out.

But to have a policy, "I don't read long pieces, just because" - well, you can miss out on some pretty good writing.

I am estimating that Mary and Alvin will run somewhere between 32-36 chapters. It is not open ended. I wrote a rough draft of the final chapter right after I wrote the first. I have had a general outline from the beginning. I totally get that people are reticent to dive into a series that may just meander or peter out.

For me I go for the longer stories,one or 2 pages arnt enough,you need to know about the characters,there history or experiences,and what is happening, story lines and surely short stories cant give you that

I could probably chop several thousand words from my series if I just said "They ate dinner" instead of always feeling compelled to tell the readers what they ate.

Learn to Read

I've got an easy solution for you - don't read them, if you don't like them.

For every reader like you, there's a person who loves long stories. There are writers for you, writers for them, and there are writers for everyone in between.

If you'd read my comment I said i don't read them. Was asking if anybody else felt this way.

I could probably chop several thousand words from my series if I just said "They ate dinner" instead of always feeling compelled to tell the readers what they ate.

I was just talking to my daughter about something similar today. In my post apocalyptic story they're having a 'Thanksgiving' and I was asking her how much detail is too much? I could say they made a mock feast with what they had and ate.
But I've talked about killing the chicken, and now they're having dialog while I explain through actions what else they're preparing.

This chapter is at almost 6000 words and will probably be at least doubled if not a bit more when I'm finished with it.
The last chapter was around 9000 words I think.
I'm wordy...

I recently tried to write a 3-part arc but demand stretched it to 18 well-liked chapters. I cut it off when the cast list overloaded; it could still host spin-offs, alas. Another shorter series (only 6 parts) already sports one spin-off and could handle more out of the main sequence. I now try to write short arcs, or standalone episodes in a shared universe.

LIT readers show no homogeneity. Some like-em short or long or midsize or endless or whatever. Some can't wait for Ch.127 and some can't stand Ch.02. I'll read a long series if it 1) grabs me, 2) doesn't go away, and 3) concludes eventually. Moral: Bite off what.you can chew and swallow.

And we could write "They fucked" instead of giving all the juicy details. But what's the fun then?

I was just talking to my daughter about something similar today. In my post apocalyptic story they're having a 'Thanksgiving' and I was asking her how much detail is too much? I could say they made a mock feast with what they had and ate.
But I've talked about killing the chicken, and now they're having dialog while I explain through actions what else they're preparing.

This chapter is at almost 6000 words and will probably be at least doubled if not a bit more when I'm finished with it.
The last chapter was around 9000 words I think.
I'm wordy...

I write stories in which people fuck, because I write stories about people, and people fuck. And they eat and they go to work and they do all the other things people do. I understand that some, maybe most, readers here want to cut to the chase and enjoy a good scene to stroke to. There are plenty of them here if that's their choice. i'll just keep doing what I do.

And we could write "They fucked" instead of giving all the juicy details. But what's the fun then?

In my current series, I plan to follow the character's relationship through their lifetimes. I think that as they age, they will struggle to find ways to keep the sexual part of their lives fresh and interesting. It seems fair, because that's what we creators do all the time.

6-9,000 words about chokin' a chicken?

Ya' gotta be shittin'!!!!

Back