Historical Time Travelers?

One of the characters travels back in time and sleeps with his grandmother, thus becoming his own grandfather. The loop exists and works.

Not that Futurama should be the source of any intelligent conversation or theories!

Then there is Heinlein's classic All You Zombies.

A baby girl is dropped off at an orphanage. Unhappy and lonely as an adult, she meets a young man and becomes pregnant. He vanishes. At the hospital, in labor, the doctors realize that she is a true intersex, one with both sets of organs. They save the baby but are force to make a choice and surgically leave her as a man. Then the baby is kidnapped from the nursery.Spoiler alert. It winds up that they are all the same individual. There's more to it than just that, of course.

One of Heinlein's better ones, I've always thought. Cute story, but hardly possible.

A Futurama fan?

Ever read Heinlein’s “All You Zombies”? Time traveler goes into the past, fucks his mom. Then, time traveler goes to the future, gets a fully functioning sex change. Then travels back into the past, and fucks his past self who thinks he’s fucking his mom.

Time traveler gets pregnant, and gives birth to himself.

Edit: Wait! I swear that first post wasn’t there when I posted! :eek:

TarnishedPenny went back in time to make that post!!! :devil:

Coincidentally, my daughter recently discussed time travel and the "Grandfather Paradox" in one of her classes in middle school and we talked about that. I told her that it really should be the "Grandmother Paradox" -- you could go back in time and kill your grandfather, only to find out that Grandma was a cheater...

Imhotep.

This is the sort of scenario where you can somewhat make sense of things. Drop an architect in the bronze age. Even strong first-aid skills would be medical miracles, so let's say he was an Eagle Scout. Applies his modern knowledge with the available technology and materials. Ends up venerated as a god well into the Roman era.

If I'm remembering correctly, his father was actually an architect of some renown, so that throws a bit of a monkey wrench in it from a practical standpoint, but for fantasy story writing, it works. LOL

There is also a great SF short story I once read - and I regret forgetting title/author - of a fairly ordinary USAF sergeant stationed in Iceland being thrown back in time. Told from the POV of a Viking who befriends him, it notes how the time traveller was essentially useless, how his ‘advanced’ skills [driving, using a telephone, servicing an airplane, etc) were worthless. Forging tools, tanning hides, mending nets were the tasks at hand. Being advanced is not always an advantage.

Then there is Heinlein's classic All You Zombies.

A baby girl is dropped off at an orphanage. Unhappy and lonely as an adult, she meets a young man and becomes pregnant. He vanishes. At the hospital, in labor, the doctors realize that she is a true intersex, one with both sets of organs. They save the baby but are force to make a choice and surgically leave her as a man. Then the baby is kidnapped from the nursery.Spoiler alert. It winds up that they are all the same individual. There's more to it than just that, of course.

One of Heinlein's better ones, I've always thought. Cute story, but hardly possible.
A very good film, too, with Ethan Hawke and Sarah Snook, a young Australian actress:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Predestination_(film)

There is also a great SF short story I once read - and I regret forgetting title/author - of a fairly ordinary USAF sergeant stationed in Iceland being thrown back in time.

Told from the POV of a Viking who befriends him, it notes how the time traveller was essentially useless, how his ‘advanced’ skills [driving, using a telephone, servicing an airplane, etc) were worthless. Forging tools, tanning hides, mending nets were the tasks at hand. Being advanced is not always an advantage.

As anyone with, or building, a Crystal set can attest.

There is also a great SF short story I once read - and I regret forgetting title/author - of a fairly ordinary USAF sergeant stationed in Iceland being thrown back in time. Told from the POV of a Viking who befriends him, it notes how the time traveller was essentially useless, how his ‘advanced’ skills [driving, using a telephone, servicing an airplane, etc) were worthless. Forging tools, tanning hides, mending nets were the tasks at hand. Being advanced is not always an advantage.
I know exactly that story and I can't remember title.author either, only that the modern acquits himself be being killed in battle.

As anyone with, or building, a Crystal set can attest.
I thought I'd posted about using a whisker-thread against Galenite, and you had replied, but they seem to have disappeared. Or was that another thread?

My nerdly nephew could survive transition to the past because he obsessively studied sword-making techniques. But he's afraid of horses. Sorry, kid.

Coincidentally, my daughter recently discussed time travel and the "Grandfather Paradox" in one of her classes in middle school and we talked about that. I told her that it really should be the "Grandmother Paradox" -- you could go back in time and kill your grandfather, only to find out that Grandma was a cheater...

Charles Stross's "Palimpsest" starts out with a time-travelling agent whose official initiation requires him to murder his own grandfather.

A very good film, too, with Ethan Hawke and Sarah Snook, a young Australian actress:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Predestination_(film)

Seconded. Snook in particular was fantastic.

Back