What's for dinner?

I made chicken and cheese pies with leftover roast chicken. Lazy. But tasty.

I think that the Spanish call that sangria, Hypoxia. :)
I usually add 7-Up, OJ, and vodka to dago red for a significant sangria, maybe mash in some mandarins or berries. I like my sangria vicious er I mean viscous. Some juice in a bad red is merely... taming.

My favorite stove top sin - Original Patty Melt on rye w/hand cut potato fries.

It's my favorite food creation and there's many versions of it. Not every patty melt is the same. If you love food lore, pls take time to read the footnotes. Here's my version:

Not as complicated as it seems.
Ingredients:
Hand rolled real hamburger patty. Preferably 1/4 pound. Rye bread. Sautee'd sliced onion. 1 decent sized boiled potato (not boiled in any type wrap or foil). Butter or Margarine type spread, preferably real butter. Salt. Pepper. Paprika. Dill pickle slices. Mayonnaise. Sliced monterey jack cheese (any cheese version will do).

Instructions: Use your best judgement on the order in how you cook it:
Slice raw onion rings and gently boil in butter (stir in or sift the small pot as it melts and add a large pinch of salt). Once onion is soft - place in small container or cup and refrigerate overnight. (Simply grilling in butter will suffice - don't burn it).
Take flattened, hand made patty and pan cook separate by itself on medium high of stove top eye. In another pan, take 2 slices of Rye bread, butter one side of each, place 1 slice each of cheese atop rye bread and place in non-buttered pan w/stove top on high. Allow cheese to melt as bread is grilled, but remove quickly as not to burn the bread or damage the pan. (Grilled portion should be golden brown). Lay grilled rye bread w/melted cheese on plate - open faced. Place patty (drained until dripping stops, but not dry) atop one of the bread slices. Spread generous amount of mayonnaise on patty or the other slice rye. Add sliced dill pickles to either. Take sautee'd onions and grill in one of the pans - quickly until it sizzles while sprinkling small amount of black pepper on it (don't burn and try to keep it soft or limp). If the onions burn a little, don't worry about it. Then place the sautee'd onions atop one of the open faced sandwich sides and push both sides together as if you're going to eat it.

Boiled potato instructions: hand slice boiled potato,sprinkle black pepper lightly over slices (salt is optional) and place in generous amount of hot veg oil in one of the pans. Cook in oil, low-med-hi, however you would normally do it to desired texture so long as it's cooked thoroughly. Remove and lay out on paper towels to absorb excess oil/grease. Then sprinkle paprika over slices to taste.

Walla! You're ready to chow down!

Footnote: I come from a long line of southern cooks and anyone can tell you how old school southern cooks can be. This is my personal favorite in a variety of stove top sandwiches I once specialized in. All are good, even the double decker club sandwiches. Only my omelettes are a close ranking 2nd. And, of course, grits. As real grits are a true southern staple. We luv our grits!
Part of my family history as it pertains to cooking? Well, I grew up in it. The men and women in my family are equally as good in many respects w/our own favorite specialty. Even now, as we've all dropped out of the public eye and did not pursue what could have been a very lucrative empire, we still talk food all the time we're around each other.

As cooks, One of my grandma's, my mother, and 1 of my brothers, as well as myself, stood out quite obviously from the rest of my considerably talented family. As for my past experience, when I wore a younger man's clothes, I worked tirelessly off/on in various restaurants perfecting my already considerable cooking skills. And I can do most anything southern in that endeavor. Including some limited skills in deep southern style cooking (Cajun version) Including boiled cabbage, ham hocks, various versions of pinto beans and even cornbread. I suck at biscuits though. Even my family laughs about that lacking skill that continues to elude me this day.

In a non exaggerated truth - at one time I was best known for my sandwiches and breakfast skills - including any type of baked or grilled omelettes. I even know how to make home made fruit pancakes that most any breakfast place won't even attempt.

As for my sandwiches - For a few years after I stopped cooking for restaurants, I was approached several times to patent and copy right most of them AND show others exactly how I do/did them. But I tended to ignore that hoopla and salesmanship. Though I did train many cooks during my stint as a manager, they did surprisingly well, but not quite like I can.;)

We were out of the house on separate trips today so it was scattered. Breakfast with pills. Brunch at the best taco wagon, supreme al pastor tacos, hot. Popcorn for afternoon snack. Mutant quesadillas (**) and superb wine for dinner. Scallop chowder for midnight snack, and it's not even midnight.

(**) Mutant quesadillas: Tonight's version went like this: Place two corn tortillas on a flat plate for assembly. On each, stack the following:

slice of super-low-fat cheezy stuff
slice of meat from somewhere; turkey tonight
(without the cheese slice, the tortilla dissolves )
dill pickle sandwich slice
thin line of mustard
3 green olives, held in place by the mustard
slice of Jarlsberg Lite cheese

Roast these assemblies together on the toaster oven grill for six minutes or so. That's a pretty easy formula. Most of my variants put something different between the meat and the top cheese slice. Artichoke hearts, or hot peppers, or sliced tomato. Drain well first.

No more work until Tuesday morning now, so dinner tonight is going to be roasted red peppers skinned, sliced, chilled overnight in olive oil, and dressed with Balsamic vinegar, Fruits de Mer of lobster, crab, Tiger Prawns, scallops, oysters, mussels, Razor clams, langoustines, Red Snapper, squid, and octopus, all bought less than 30 minutes ago, served with fresh sauce mignonette and local zesty lemon juice, pain de mais (French cornbread), cuisses de grenouilles, artichokes for me, battered and fried zucchini for him, and apple tarte tatin for dessert.

I made homemade jerk chicken with scotch bonnet peppers, garlic, onions, jerk seasoning, caribbean chicken seasoning. With potatoes & carrots and a salad on the side.

Last edited:
A simple cheese ravioli in homemade sauce (it's making the house smell so good!) And a salad

We were just ready to reheat leftovers last evening when we lost power. The gas range seared our sauced chops, baby red potatoes, and asparagus with bacon. More of that great plummy wine, Pra Vinera (Napa) 2016 Cabernet Sauvignon, just seven bucks at GrossOut (Grocery Outlet). We stared into each others' eyes past the candlelight but didn't singe any eyebrows. Snow fell outside. A coyote sang in the distance. WiFi gave out. Oh well...

Corned beef, cabbage, potatoes, carrots...Guinness, whiskey, hangover....

Corned beef, cabbage, potatoes, carrots...Guinness, whiskey, hangover....
Carrots and red potatoes, check.
Cabbage (chopped for slaw), check.
Corned beef... turkey breast must suffice.
Green beer... Stone IPA will substitute.
Whiskey... I think I see spiced rum.
Hangover... whatever works.

Why didn't St Paddy grow hemp?

That sounds nice, with the squash could we consider this a healthy meal?

If you cook paleo, it was a very healthy meal. If you worry about fat content in the meal, not so healthy.

Carrots and red potatoes, check.
Cabbage (chopped for slaw), check.
Corned beef... turkey breast must suffice.
Green beer... Stone IPA will substitute.
Whiskey... I think I see spiced rum.
Hangover... whatever works.

Why didn't St Paddy grow hemp?

:D Why didn't St. Paddy grow hemp?

Lunch was bbq turkey meatloaf burgers with cheddar cheese, roasted asparagus and sliced apple.

We're snowed in and the fresh veggies are running out, so I did what I could: julienne a small red potato and two carrots, slice some artichoke hearts, add chopped scallions and a dozen cherry tomatoes, and stir-fry in the morning's leftover bacon fat, with one egg for fun. Push that aside in the wide skillet and add the last D'Artagnan Andouille sausage, and Van de Camp's pork-n-beans. Cover and simmer. I love one-pot cooking.

Wash that down with a bargain bottle of Anthony Koster 2014 (Sonoma) Cabernet Sauvignon, not as plummy as the Pra Vinera we just bought two cases of, but quite nice. We'll grab a case if/when we can.

My partner has perfected wine-buying technique at GrossOut (Grocery Outlet discount market chain). Find the highest-priced wines that are marked down the most. Thirty-buck bottles for five or six, FTW! Much better than Two-Buck Chuck.

I'm thinking ice cream made from snow. And milk. And vanilla flavoring. Gotta have the vanilla flavoring.

On a rainy day like this.

How about a roast, with potatoes, and a salad. I can almost taste the horseradish sauce. Plus all that time in the oven gives us time for other things.

My husband is out running errands, but when he gets back I am going to send him to the grocery store.

Yummy

I've been promised a fat seared salmon, romaine-artichoke-feta-raisin salad, and fresh cornbread. With another jug of Mississippi Mud black-and-tan ale. Oh, how we suffer...

Back