Soundtracks Of Our Lives

Don't make me throw tantrums!!! Bloody hell people! Write about it! This is a writing thread too!!!

:mad::mad:

She was a cute little redhead it lasted about a year till I moved for work then we slowly drifted apart I always think back on it fondly every time I hear the song.

She was a cute little redhead it lasted about a year till I moved for work then we slowly drifted apart I always think back on it fondly every time I hear the song.

See? Was that so difficult? Ok, maybe it was. But thank you, it's wonderful to see little glimpses of you that make you who you are. :rose: :kiss:

Challenge 1: anything by John Denver. My mother was obsessed with him during my formative years. She loved his voice. So funny story: we moved when I was a child, from my childhood home to someplace that was a couple of hours away, you needed to cross a bridge to get there, and I thought it was the end of the world. So the first Christmas we were in the house, we were still getting settled, but my dad decided that what we needed in the house was a big old console stereo system. You know the kind - big as a coffin, looks like furniture, has the speakers hidden behind cloth in the front - and the whole top hinges up to reveal a turntable, AM/FM stereo, the works. Well, this one had an 8-track player which was a novelty for us. Along with the stereo, he bought us each an 8 track to go with it. (Mine was Sonny & Cher - but that's not part of this story). My mom's, was, of course, a John Denver compilation. So he had this thing delivered on Christmas Eve, with a big red bow, and then on Christmas Day he gave us all our music to listen to. So fast forward to Christmas night, everything's over, my mother is exhausted, and she sits down on the sofa with a glass of wine, and John Denver playing in the background. 3am we all wake up to hear my father BELLY LAUGHING in the living room. He had come downstairs to see why my mother wasn't in bed, and there she was on the sofa, still listening to John Denver. When he asked her what she was doing, she said "I'm waiting for the music to finish." Those of you who don't get that story are clearly too young for it.

Challenge 2: Baby I Love Your Way - Peter Frampton.

I was 15, and he was older by a couple of years. Everybody thought it was just puppy love, but to this day we're still great friends and there's a special place in my heart for him. We share each other's joys (his grandchildren) and sorrows (our dads passed away about a year apart).

He picked me up one day from the beach and we went for a picnic and a ride on his motorcycle (a first for me) and at some point we ended up back at his house. I was only 15, people. Nothing scandalous was going on. But he played this song for me on the piano and gave me the sweetest kiss, that I can still remember. One time on my birthday he called me and played this for me over the phone. I said "I can't believe you remember". And he said "I can't believe you think I'd forget."

Challenge 2: A song that reminds you of your First Love

So this is difficult. There was a girl I had a crush on from about 5th grade through about 7th grade (yeah, I have a hard time letting go of things sometimes....:eek:).
But I really don't have a song that I associate with her. In many ways it was my first love, but completely unrequited.

And then there was my girlfriend my senior year. That really was, in many important ways, "my first love." And there are two songs that always make me think of her. One was a song we danced to at the first dance we went to together. It was a fast song (Feel the Noise ~ Quiet Riot). I just remember that she was laughing and singing and she looked amazing.

But the song I"m going to choose is one we never danced to. We cuddled to it one night, very early in our relationship (actually before our first kiss). She had the most beautiful brown eyes...

Brown Eyed Girl ~ Van Morrison

Challenge 2

A girl I met at work - sadly she was already attached but i fell for her hook line and sinker...and when she left the office to move to another part of the country - I cried myself to sleep with this...

Papua New Guinea by the Future Sound of London.

He was a mixtape kind of guy. This track was a bit different to the usual stuff I listened to, but it caught my attention. Somehow the feel of it suited the moment we found ourselves caught up in, and it remains one of the many that take me back to him....

Are you two deliberately looking for a spanking?! I wanna know WHY! Fine. Ok. So, I'm going to make some assumptions here...

DS: this is your song from your childhood because your big sister once entered a talent competition, and your parents insisted that you be part of it. Not being able to sing, you ended up performing some sort of bizarre interpretive dance to this as Big Sis sang it. You came second place, only beaten by the Von Trapp choir.

Papa: this is your song from your childhood because, like many, you were entralled by the groovy dancing and tunes. You watched this film every weekend for six months solid, and still can do most of the dances from memory. But the real reason you chose this song is because you tried to grow your hair into the mullet, and it didn't quite work, so you bought the wig and made all your family call you Ren until your momma begged you to stop humiliating the family name. Good times.

(ps - papa, that video couldn't run in 'this country' - i hope it wasn't a goof or summit that I've missed out on :( )

Wow. That must be some strong shit you be smokin'. This song came out in the mid 70s, and it always made me sad. I just envisioned someone on their deathbed, saying good bye to their family, and reliving the good times. I'm morbid like that....

Challenge 2: a song that reminds you of your first love

This is a two-fold story. Back in college, there was a girl that I fell for from the minute we met. But she only saw me as a friend. She had a pirated copy of "Heavy Metal: The Movie." During one scene (a sex scene, ironically), this song was playing. So I always associated this song with her...

A few yrs later, she decided to leave school. We had a going away party for her. The one and only song I ever danced with her was "her song". And so it was kinda bittersweet holding her in my arms that last time....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ed9VlzSCBJQ

Challenge 2: A song that reminds you of your First Love
My first true love was my best friend at school and we both realised that there was something happening between us.
The chart song was a couple of years old at the time things had started to get even more serious, and that song stuck more
firmly in my head amongst many others... Here it is...

The Sign - Ace Of Base.

;)

:kiss::rose:

I LOVE this thread idea!!

For challenge 1 there were three songs that immediately came to mind. Two have already been listed by others, so I'll go with the third ... The Devil Went Down to Georgia. My brother had the record (Yes, I'm talking vinyl. You younguns can google it.) and he loved playing it because it scared me a little bit. LOL I learned to love the song, but in the early years it was played to torture me. He took "big brothering" very seriously. :rolleyes:

I don't normally do anything but lurk, but i like this thread so here goes...

Challenge 1. A song from your childhood.
Sixteen Tons - Johnny Cash but I don't think him originally

When I was a kid my mom used to play this on guitar. I sang it all the time with no concept of the lyrics on face value and no idea that there was more than face value to a song, I just thought it sounded pretty. As I got older I rediscovered it and now I go to work and have to fight not to hum it sometimes...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUpTJg2EBpw

Challenge 2: First love

Again a few come to mind, but let's go with the song that always makes me think of the first boy I ever had a crush on. A crush that lasted from elementary through junior high, by the way. We both had working moms and were pretty much on our own during the Summer, so we hung out a lot. This song was very big one Summer in particular and we danced around my living room with no shame like the super dorks that we were. :cool:

Challenge 2: First love
This was when I was in HS and I was such a fucking idiot that I can't believe the song I'm about to choose. I met this girl at a part time movie theater job and we got together then didn't then did and so on... pined for her for a solid 5 years after we really split. She got into drugs later and I think that led to her passing in her mid 20s but looking back there were some great times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wh6mlPbvXs

Challenge 1: A song from your childhood

When my parents divorced, my mom was 27 years old with 3 kids under the age of 10, no work experience and no college education. She got a part-time job, figured out the financial aid system, took out student loans and put herself through college to make a better life for us.

The group that represents the soundtrack of my childhood is Fleetwood Mac's Rumours album. It was my mom's favorite and I'd wake up on Sunday mornings hearing it playing on the hi-fi stereo while my mom made breakfast or studied or did laundry.

Gold Dust Woman by Fleetwood Mac

Challenge 2: A song that reminds you of your first love

My first real love was sweet, tumultuous, playful, painful, lovely and delicious. We were in high school and thought we had it all figured out. I learned a bit, grew up a lot and still have love in my heart for him to this day.

One day when we had a stupid argument and we didn't speak for a day or so. I thought we were both just being stubborn and not wanting to be the one to give in. He spent a great deal of that time teaching himself to play a song on the guitar. When I went over to his house that night, we sat on the patio and he serenaded me with a slowed down version of this song. :heart: And then we made out. A lot.

Think About You by Guns N' Roses

There's a few songs that certainly remind me of my childhood, but I remember this one distinctly as I used to hate having to stay inside because of the weather, but my dad would play this song (on vinyl no less) and we'd find indoor games to play that would make me forget about my favourites like playing hockey in the driveway.

I Love a Rainy Night

There's a few songs that certainly remind me of my childhood, but I remember this one distinctly as I used to hate having to stay inside because of the weather, but my dad would play this song (on vinyl no less) and we'd find indoor games to play that would make me forget about my favourites like playing hockey in the driveway.

I Love a Rainy Night
Awwww, I remember that song! That's a sweet memory. :)

I Love a Rainy Night

Wichita Lineman by Glen Campbell.

My mom loved Glen Campbell and played his records all day long. For some reason, I really loved this song. I didn't really understand what a lineman was until years later, or what the song was about, but its such a pretty song. When I hear it, it takes me back....

Challenge 2 - song that remind you of your first love

I have so many memories tied to songs. My first (unrequited) love is who I think of when I listen to Jane’s Addiction, especially Summertime Rolls. https://youtu.be/ki5KsuP3mzM

I remember hanging out with him during the summer, going to the beach with friends, etc. He was my first real kiss, one that actually meant something. That’s how I felt, at least. I don’t think he felt the same way. But this song reminds me of that summer.

Challenge 2 - song that remind you of your first love

I have so many memories tied to songs. My first (unrequited) love is who I think of when I listen to Jane’s Addiction, especially Summertime Rolls. https://youtu.be/ki5KsuP3mzM

I remember hanging out with him during the summer, going to the beach with friends, etc. He was my first real kiss, one that actually meant something. That’s how I felt, at least. I don’t think he felt the same way. But this song reminds me of that summer.

I have so many Jane's Addition memories as well. While Nothing's Shocking was a great (if not their best) album, their self-titled album was most meaningful. We probably flipped that tape over a thousand times.

Anyway... while that album has so many memories for me, the song that is synonymous with my first "love" is Redemption Song by Bob Marley. Bob Marley's Legend was another album of great significance in my life.

I like this thread. I hope it doesn't slip into the "page 6 and beyond" abyss.

Challenge 3 for the weekend: A song from the very first COMPILATION album you bought.

A quickie today! The Hits Album 5 (aka Hits 5) was my first album I bought. I bought it on tape, as LP’s were more expensive and I was only 13 years old. Looking back at the track list, I still love all of them! But I think that if I could only listen to one track again, it would be Eurythmics ‘Thorn In My Side’.

Back