Your Food Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an allegedly sashimi grade tuna steak. It looks really pretty. How should I cook it, in the oven or cast iron grill pan?

I have an allegedly sashimi grade tuna steak. It looks really pretty. How should I cook it, in the oven or cast iron grill pan?

I'd sear it in the pan stovetop and finish it quickly in the oven.

Brush it with Olive Oil and use your Grill pan to sear it. Make sure the pan has been heating up for a while before you place the tuna on it. It's key. It will be rare. If you like sushi, you'll love it prepared this way.

Then you can drizzle a mixture of Soy & dry mustard over it. It's so good!

I'd sear it in the pan stovetop and finish it quickly in the oven.

I was sort of leaning this way, thanks!

Brush it with Olive Oil and use your Grill pan to sear it. Make sure the pan has been heating up for a while before you place the tuna on it. It's key. It will be rare. If you like sushi, you'll love it prepared this way.

Then you can drizzle a mixture of Soy & dry mustard over it. It's so good!

I prefer it rare, actually! Love sushi. I have ponzu, and also a ginger sesame marinade. And sesame seeds.

Decisions, decisions.

I just had to get some beef in me. The fish talk was giving me a bad taste in my mouth. LOL

I think I've prepared something tasty.

I soaked chicken thighs in thai peanut sauce for about an hour then dredged them through a combination of flour, Old Bay, and chopped pretzels. I've cooked them in the oven on a rack for 30 minutes at 400.

There's still some white flour on them though. :/

I usually leave them in the pan when oven frying and so the juices from the chicken cook and brown the flour. I guess I need to coat them in flour and then add some liquid?

I also fried up some polenta with peas, a 'mexican blend' of shredded cheese, and some Cholula sauce. That at least I know is delicious.

I hope my mother gets home soon, it's been about 12 hours since I've had any food.

THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 19, 2015

Last Friday the 13th was unlucky for more than 90 percent of Americans who favor labeling genetically modified organisms.

Why so grim?

It was the day the U.S. Department of Agriculture announced its decision to allow Arctic ® apples to be sold in the U.S. They are among the first GMO whole foods to reach the American market.

http://www.ewg.org/agmag/2015/02/arctic-apples-leaves-sour-taste-consumers

The so-called Arctic apples — which will be available in the Granny Smith and Golden Delicious varieties — are genetically engineered in a way to suppress the production of an enzyme that causes browning when cells in the apple are injured, from slicing, for example.

The nonbrowning effect is not created by putting genes from another species into the apple’s DNA, which is the case with most genetically altered crops. Instead, the apple’s own genes are manipulated in a way that turns off the browning mechanism.

Okanagan is still engaged in a voluntary consultation with the F.D.A. over the safety of the apple. Consumer groups say shutting off the browning mechanism could have unintended effects. But the Agriculture Department said the Arctic apples seemed to be nutritionally equivalent to other apples.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/02/1...pproved-for-growing-in-us.html?_r=0&referrer=

I made some lemon pepper chicken and a mix of corn, carrots, purple cabbage and green beans in butter.

Fucking yummy.

Very unhappy about that ^^ GSGS.

Frankenapples...just what we all need to be eating. :eek:

One day there needs to be a massive GB potluck. I want to taste all your guys' yummy noms.

I'm making enchiladas with my leftover carnitas meat.

Lots of browny, crusty, cheesy goodness.

Frankenapples...just what we all need to be eating. :eek:

Things that have been nuked (to kill off bacteria and such, and to make the produce last longer than normal) were required to have this little sun symbol, on them.
I keep looking, but I never have spotted it. I have been looking, for years.

We will have to look for the Arctic label. *sigh*

We should all show up to LTR and Sean's wedding with our own food.

Are they getting married in the US? I think the TSA would frown upon me trying to bring a hot crock pot through security.

Are they getting married in the US? I think the TSA would frown upon me trying to bring a hot crock pot through security.

I don't know where the wedding is taking place but if it's here I hope they sit us at the same table.

Be forewarned, KS says I'm handsy.

LTR! Make a note on the seating chart, s'il vous plait.

Forewarned, psh. More like fore-excited.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back