Calling All Walkers... Dinner Is Served

So who saw the Mythbusters Walking Dead special last night? :D

Not me, unfortunately. I'll have to see if it's online or On Demand. What were they talking about? Whether zombies were possible? Or about the things the survivors do?

Not me, unfortunately. I'll have to see if it's online or On Demand. What were they talking about? Whether zombies were possible? Or about the things the survivors do?

What survivors could do. They admitted at the start of the show that even though zombies were not real, they would test them in a scientific way. They had 100+ volunteer "zombies". They tested ax vs gun for zombie killing, how well you could move and escape in a crowd of walkers, and how easily zombies could break down a door. They even had the guy who played Merl guest hosting.

So who watched last night? The prison now has a lot more room. And who is luring the walkers with the rats?

And did anyone notice that the walkers that attacked Michonne in the beginning seemed a lot more coordinated than usual?

Well then, I hope no one really loved Charlotte's Web before last night's episode. That might have been harder for my wife to watch than the death of actual human beings.

We know it's just a matter of time before things crumble. I like that they are showing the prison settlement slowly eroding rather than one mega incident. It's a bit more torturous to watch them try to piece things back together than one devastating blow like Herschel's farm.

Rick put the gun back on. And gave Carl his. Symbolism of his return to the front? Daryl keeps saying they need him there at the top with the others.

Michonne's hurtful past surfacing? You can bet with characters like her, that there's a lot buried deep down. It was a powerful moment I thought to see her with little asskicker. I mean Lori. ....the baby.

Thoughts on the episode? Go ahead and take a bite.

So who watched last night? The prison now has a lot more room. And who is luring the walkers with the rats?

And did anyone notice that the walkers that attacked Michonne in the beginning seemed a lot more coordinated than usual?

We posted near the same time. Guess that means we're fans.

The rats still has me puzzled. Of course the Governor is still out there, but this was done inside the fence. That's not to say he couldn't have gotten in somehow, but it is kinda doubtful. Then we gotta crazy girl who names zombies. That's a stretch too, but I mean feeding the walkers seems like something she's capable of. But I don't think it's her either. This seems calculated, and I don't see a little girl out with a flashlight lurking in the dark to feed the walkers. We'll just have to see. As always, a human threat is just as dangerous as the infected.

Didn't really catch anything outta place with the attack on Michonne, though I didn't watch closely. I think it just kinda happened though. It is still unsettling though to think that the walkers are being utilized by someone like medieval chemical warfare though.

Uh... burned bodies? I'd almost forgotten. Who would do that? Carol is kind of on a "do what ya gotta" binge right now.

We posted near the same time. Guess that means we're fans.

I would have posted last night, after Talking Dead, but i was too tired. ;)

The rats still has me puzzled. Of course the Governor is still out there, but this was done inside the fence. That's not to say he couldn't have gotten in somehow, but it is kinda doubtful. Then we gotta crazy girl who names zombies. That's a stretch too, but I mean feeding the walkers seems like something she's capable of. But I don't think it's her either. This seems calculated, and I don't see a little girl out with a flashlight lurking in the dark to feed the walkers. We'll just have to see. As always, a human threat is just as dangerous as the infected.

The Governor could have an ally within the prison, but I don't know who is from Woodbury and who isn't at this point, aside from our core group. And I suppose he himself could get in, but that means there's a weakness and if that is there, why haven't any walkers managed to simply push through that spot?

I don't think it's the little girl, Lizzie. As they discussed on Talking Dead, the rat was at face-level to a walker, and that'd be too high for her. (No rats were harmed; it was a puppet head, btw. :) )

I can't think of any outsider people who might want to lure the walkers like that, although obviously someone is working on something. But finding the rats on the inside of the fence, which I hadn't considered before the reveal, puts an interesting spin on that.

Didn't really catch anything outta place with the attack on Michonne, though I didn't watch closely. I think it just kinda happened though. It is still unsettling though to think that the walkers are being utilized by someone like medieval chemical warfare though.

It just seemed to me that the walkers were more coordinated, as I said. Usually they just kind of grab and scrabble at things. But the female walker who took on Michonne -- if I remember correctly -- seemed to reach for her throat in a strangle motion, and also actively pushed the walker behind her away. So I'm wondering if this new virus means new behavior for the walkers. Even Patrick seemed more coordinated when he went after the guy in his cell.

Uh... burned bodies? I'd almost forgotten. Who would do that? Carol is kind of on a "do what ya gotta" binge right now.

You know, my first thought on the two bodies was that it was suicide, but then I reconsidered. If they had managed to walk out there, there would be a path of footprints, like Patrick had left before. Instead, it looked like were dragged, which would seem to indicate a third person (at least) involved. Perhaps that new doctor?

And here's a question I've wondered about before. Why don't they burn the bodies? It seems to me by now that, as Carol showed, when someone dies, the first step is to destroy the brain. After that, though, why waste the time and energy on a burial? Or use up the land, which they might need for crops?

And here's a question I've wondered about before. Why don't they burn the bodies? It seems to me by now that, as Carol showed, when someone dies, the first step is to destroy the brain. After that, though, why waste the time and energy on a burial? Or use up the land, which they might need for crops?

Humans don't burn easy. They would have to use up a lot of firewood (which they have to collect outside the fence) or fuel. The two bodies were burned with gasoline. It looks like they are carefully conserving the fuel (notable exception being Darryl's bike) so they wouldn't waste it on burning.

It seems like they could still grow crops on the graves? maybe?

Humans don't burn easy. They would have to use up a lot of firewood (which they have to collect outside the fence) or fuel. The two bodies were burned with gasoline. It looks like they are carefully conserving the fuel (notable exception being Darryl's bike) so they wouldn't waste it on burning.

It seems like they could still grow crops on the graves? maybe?

This, and there's a psychological reason there too. Its a bit hard on the nerves to pile up your loved ones and set them aflame, and yes, human bodies don't burn very easily. Though it would get incredibly tiring, I'd kinda wanna have a burial for the deceased, or at least some kind of ceremonial deal that made it worthwhile.

I dunno. That's prolly not it, but I could see it happening.

This, and there's a psychological reason there too. Its a bit hard on the nerves to pile up your loved ones and set them aflame, and yes, human bodies don't burn very easily. Though it would get incredibly tiring, I'd kinda wanna have a burial for the deceased, or at least some kind of ceremonial deal that made it worthwhile.

I dunno. That's prolly not it, but I could see it happening.

Okay, I can buy all that. I was just thinking that especially as things get into a routine, people will -- often, but not always -- go with what's more efficient. Necessity will trump a lot of things. I can definitely see having some kind of memorial, and that might even be more important in a setting like the show's.

I know that everyone is infected, but going back to the psychological angle, I would think people wouldn't want to grow crops over the graves of the infected. Plus the prison presumably has enough land that they can spare it for a cemetery.

I like how Carol has become stronger and more pragmatic, but I think there's the danger she'll become too cold, too hard. Perhaps that's why the girls are there, to keep that maternal side going. Perhaps Carol hopes she can do better by them than she did by Sophia.

I wonder what more they can do about the virus. I wouldn't know if they have the equipment or know-how to do blood tests or anything, although we do have a "Dr. S" now, right? Who seems more of a people doctor.

Is it possible the same person who was using the rats to lure walkers is responsible for burning the two bodies? Would that even make sense? I mean, if you're trying to get the walkers inside, wouldn't it be easier to have them inside already?

Okay, I can buy all that. I was just thinking that especially as things get into a routine, people will -- often, but not always -- go with what's more efficient. Necessity will trump a lot of things. I can definitely see having some kind of memorial, and that might even be more important in a setting like the show's.

I know that everyone is infected, but going back to the psychological angle, I would think people wouldn't want to grow crops over the graves of the infected. Plus the prison presumably has enough land that they can spare it for a cemetery.

I like how Carol has become stronger and more pragmatic, but I think there's the danger she'll become too cold, too hard. Perhaps that's why the girls are there, to keep that maternal side going. Perhaps Carol hopes she can do better by them than she did by Sophia.

I wonder what more they can do about the virus. I wouldn't know if they have the equipment or know-how to do blood tests or anything, although we do have a "Dr. S" now, right? Who seems more of a people doctor.

Is it possible the same person who was using the rats to lure walkers is responsible for burning the two bodies? Would that even make sense? I mean, if you're trying to get the walkers inside, wouldn't it be easier to have them inside already?

One thing is certain. They've done a really good job with the show as far as building this impending sense of dread, and keeping things under wraps. There's definitely a conspiracy going on here.

I agree about Carol. I'm on her side when it comes to doing what's necessary, but there is this creeping fear in me that wonders if she will take things too far, or too cold as you've said. It just doesn't sit right with me. We've seen what it did to Shane, (though his feelings were numbed by the hurt of that odd live triangle deal).

The one thing, other than rats and burned walkers, that really stuck out with me is Michonne's reaction to holding the baby. I mean, she is kinda the only character whose background hasn't been fully unearthed. From such a cold calculated woman, it was pretty powerful to see that kind of emotion from her, and reminds us of the immense loss that people still carry around with them during the "survivor" times.

Whoa! Carol's one tough cookie, we're finding out.

But even more than that, did anyone watch Talking Dead? Marilyn Manson was one of the guests. I couldn't tell if Chris Hardwicke, the host, was joking around or barely hiding his contempt re: Mr. Manson.

That bloated buffoon Marilyn Manson totally ruined Talking Dead for me tonight! I ended up having to fast forward whenever he was talking. I think Chris was making the best of the situation but I could sense the contempt. What an idiot.

And Carol is a badass, but what will it cost her?

Christ, Carol is cold. It was interesting last season when Merl pointed out how she had changed since being at the camp. Now she's taken that a hundred steps further.

Did anyone else actually gasp "holy crap" when they drove up to the thousands of walkers!?

Crap I called that Carol thing, I mean to my wife anyway. We can't help making predictions and seeing who is right.

And gigantic ditto about Marilyn Manson and his incessant deep thought but ignorant blabbering. None of what he said really made much sense, and I just know Chris was cussing or laughing his ass off when he got off stage.

Any who, I knew we'd see more from Carol's "do what is necessary" survival attitude. In a way, you can't really disagree with what she tried to do, just how she went about it. It really was heartless and she kinda took a dump on those that cared for the people. But she was taking things into her own hands and trying to save more people, or so she thought. It's just the way she handled it was pretty terrible. I mean... I know she's not a big woman but... just drag them down the hall and burn them right outside? That was the plan? Like no one should find out what had happened and be upset?

Zombie horde? Yeah that kinda took my breath away. Ever since the first zombie crawled up out of the ground there's been the argument of "fast running zombies or shambling slow zombies? Which one's more dangerous and which you think will happen most likely?" Well, I know that after a long time of seeing the group taking on small groups of walkers, it makes it intense when you see a herd like that. To me, that's what makes these things do damn dangerous. They're everywhere, and in numbers they can do anything. Tear down fences, bust open doors, flip cars, overrun farmhouses, that kinda thing. So I kinda shit a lil last night yeah.

Radio transmission? What do you guys think? Is it another band of survivors that are doing well and are extending an offer to more survivors? Or is it a trap by another band of survivors to lure in helpless people?

The horde was huge, but for me the worst moment was when they started getting the radio transmission.

dammit

dammit darryl, look at the road

rrrrooooaaaadddd

Road before radio

LOOK AT THE ROAD YOU STUPID FOOL, DO YOU WANT TO GET INTO A CAR CR--

Okay, look! you crashed! in the middle of a huge horde of Walkers.

I hope someone is there to pick up the phone, because I FUCKING CALLED IT.

The horde was huge, but for me the worst moment was when they started getting the radio transmission.

dammit

rrrrooooaaaadddd

Road before radio

LOOK AT THE ROAD YOU STUPID FOOL, DO YOU WANT TO GET INTO A CAR CR--

Okay, look! you crashed! in the middle of a huge horde of Walkers.

I hope someone is there to pick up the phone, because I FUCKING CALLED IT.

"Onstar has detected that your vehicle crashed, is everyone alright?"

"No! We're surrounded by walkers and are trapped!!!!"

"I see, unfortunately we are not able to send emergency services to your area as they are all dead."

That bloated buffoon Marilyn Manson totally ruined Talking Dead for me tonight! I ended up having to fast forward whenever he was talking. I think Chris was making the best of the situation but I could sense the contempt. What an idiot.

He didn't ruin it for me, he just made the whole thing more amusing on a whole other level. I was watching and thinking, wow, really? I don't think I've ever seen Hardwicke like that, either. He seems to enjoy all the guests, but like I said, that was some barely-hidden contempt going on there.

And will Rick tell Tyreese?

Did anyone else actually gasp "holy crap" when they drove up to the thousands of walkers!?

Perhaps not in those words, but yes.

And gigantic ditto about Marilyn Manson and his incessant deep thought but ignorant blabbering. None of what he said really made much sense, and I just know Chris was cussing or laughing his ass off when he got off stage.

Oh I bet he was. And the funny thing was that occasionally he had those "good lucid points," to quote the show, but yeah, they were almost lost in the gibberish.

But she was taking things into her own hands and trying to save more people, or so she thought. It's just the way she handled it was pretty terrible. I mean... I know she's not a big woman but... just drag them down the hall and burn them right outside? That was the plan? Like no one should find out what had happened and be upset?

I'm figuring they had to be almost dead when she dragged them out, although Carol's hard enough now that I figure she could have killed them herself right at the end. I can't think she's quite cold enough to burn them alive. I don't know if she cared if anyone found them, but as you said, she isn't a big person, so she couldn't drag them too far herself. And it's likely she figured no one else would help her.

Zombie horde? Yeah that kinda took my breath away. Ever since the first zombie crawled up out of the ground there's been the argument of "fast running zombies or shambling slow zombies? Which one's more dangerous and which you think will happen most likely?"

What I'm more curious about is why is there such a big horde there. I mean, at this point, the zombie apocalypse is 12-18 months old, right? So why are 7500 zombies (still?) in this one place? There can't be anyone left to eat. Is something keeping them there? Someone?

Radio transmission? What do you guys think? Is it another band of survivors that are doing well and are extending an offer to more survivors? Or is it a trap by another band of survivors to lure in helpless people?

Maybe both?

dammit

LOL I had similar thoughts. Even with the lack of traffic on the road, it would pay to keep watching where you're doing so that you don't go running into a tree or something. I have to admit I thought that was dumb. Michonne could have fooled with the radio while Daryl kept driving and the zombie mega-horde still would have been a pretty striking sight as they came over the rise or whatever.

Whoa! Carol's one tough cookie, we're finding out.

But even more than that, did anyone watch Talking Dead? Marilyn Manson was one of the guests. I couldn't tell if Chris Hardwicke, the host, was joking around or barely hiding his contempt re: Mr. Manson.

I was surprised MM made it to the end of the show. I told my wife they would have him out by 10:30 and replaced by someone else--anyone.

I was really shocked at the end of the show when Chris invited him back for another round later in the season. I expected to never see him again.

Of course, that decision is made by the producers, and not by Chris.

I was surprised MM made it to the end of the show. I told my wife they would have him out by 10:30 and replaced by someone else--anyone.

I was really shocked at the end of the show when Chris invited him back for another round later in the season. I expected to never see him again.

Of course, that decision is made by the producers, and not by Chris.

I also loved how they credited Jack Osborne from "Dancing with the Stars," which I guess is better than "Ozzy's son." :)

I never thought they'd pull MM, but that might have been better. I have a feeling the invitation was more perfunctory than anything else. He didn't have much to contribute, or if he did, it wasn't contributed well. I do think he's the worst guest they've had so far. I don't think any other guest, and I've watched every episode of TTD, has been as... spaced or whatever as he was.

Re: the radio. This where they needed a non-digital radio. They kept going on the same two frequencies. I wonder if an old analog dial would have suited them better. :)

Carol is gone, didn't see that one coming.

Did anyone catch what Darryl said when he picked up the green rock?

Carol is gone, didn't see that one coming.

Did anyone catch what Darryl said when he picked up the green rock?

With her words of wisdom at the beginning of the episode while Rick was prepping with something obviously on his mind, I guessed that something big was coming. I almost thought that he might kill her. At least that opens it up for the possibility of her coming back in some way.

So walkers 50 miles away also have the sickness? So obviously something not just limited to the prison, but could this be part of the overall contagion that everyone has that makes them turn?

That said, Chris Jericho is a much better guest on Talking Dead than Marilyn Manson was. Can't wait to see Adam Savage of Mythbusters guest next week.

Last edited:
Didn't watch yet -- we ended up watching the Lord of the Rings movies the past three nights. Can't wait to see. Now I just have to avoid the thread until I see it...

This weeks Talking Dead was better then last weeks. Chris Jericho was a great guest. He should have taken off those bracelets. Every time he moved, his bracelets made a noise.

So here's a question to tease, what if the group Carol meets up with is the Governor's?

Back