Serious Question

The genetic material added to the trouple would be for taste of the flesh. It wouldn't affect the rest of the fish at all. Just doesn't work that way.
The other day I at a grapple. It was ok. I didn't turn into a 50 foot mutant alligator with chainsaws for teeth after eating it and I'm reasonably sure a grape and an apple didn't fuck in the orchard. Pretty sure they made it in a lab.

It actually does work that way. Genetic material controls proteins, which in turn forms the basis for a cell's functions. So, while it is true they would add apple DNA to the fish to change the flavour, they cannot do so with absolute surety that that same DNA won't turn on or off other proteins inherent to the fish. Scientists can't know the full ramifications of their modifications for at least 8 generations - for animals, don't know how many cycles for plants - and even then, that's under lab conditions. Add environmental factors and you've just compounded the risk.

More to the point, you've watched enough bad SyFy shows about crossing snails with alligators to know that you don't want to fuck with that shit.

Superheroes and monsters created by some form of radiation: pretty much all of them
Superheroes and monsters created by GMO's: none. Ok, maybe Swamp Thing.

So there ya go.

It actually does work that way. Genetic material controls proteins, which in turn forms the basis for a cell's functions. So, while it is true they would add apple DNA to the fish to change the flavour, they cannot do so with absolute surety that that same DNA won't turn on or off other proteins inherent to the fish. Scientists can't know the full ramifications of their modifications for at least 8 generations - for animals, don't know how many cycles for plants - and even then, that's under lab conditions. Add environmental factors and you've just compounded the risk.

More to the point, you've watched enough bad SyFy shows about crossing snails with alligators to know that you don't want to fuck with that shit.

Assuming there is risk (which I don't believe there is ) why would anyone think they can just rush this stuff to market? They test it for years and years and then go through the FDA with their findings. Not that the FDA is perfect but you'd think we'd notice giant monsters.

Assuming there is risk (which I don't believe there is ) why would anyone think they can just rush this stuff to market? They test it for years and years and then go through the FDA with their findings. Not that the FDA is perfect but you'd think we'd notice giant monsters.

Even if the FDA could guarantee no environmental or human impact, our food supply is sourced globally these days. If China can't keep poison out of baby formula, I don't trust their ability to stop genetically-modified spinach that spontaneously combust after three days.

If somebody's gonna mess with trout, they better combine it with browned butter and lemon DNA.

Fuck apples.

And just to add... If you compare locally naturally grown vegetables and food to the imported mass produced items, you should be able to tell the difference in taste, quality, etc. And I'm not even talking about the GMO products.

"We interrupt this thread to bring you this special bulletin from the Literotica news desk:

Cows shit in the same grass they eat!

We return you now to your neurotic hand wringing currently in progress."

Actually, Liar's got this one. There's a world of difference between genetic manipulation in a lab and genetic manipulation in an orchard. Genetic manipulation in a lab makes it possible to mix genetic material between organisms that could never breed with each other, the effects of which on the environment and the human body are largely unknown. Adding genetic material from an apple to trout might leads to trout that tastes like apple, but the same DNA used in the process could also create a new predator species that kills all other fish in the area.

Creating a hybrid 'big' banana from a small, sweet banana and a larger, tasteless banana doesn't pose such risks.
No, there is no difference. There is only the fear that there is a difference. This was explained to me with patience and bemusement by a Harvard-PhD geneticist who was part of the team that decoded the human genome. I'm inclined to take his word over yours.

If somebody's gonna mess with trout, they better combine it with browned butter and lemon DNA.

Fuck apples.

I just picture some guy sitting in a lab, spazzed on caffeine and lack of sleep after 20 hours of pouring over hundreds of pages of data, thinking, "You know what'd be great with corn? Fish!" And howling with laughter.

No, there is no difference. There is only the fear that there is a difference. This was explained to me with patience and bemusement by a Harvard-PhD geneticist who was part of the team that decoded the human genome. I'm inclined to take his word over yours.

What did he have to say about the Trouple? I'm intrigued.

The question is, is there enough evidence that GMO food (whatever that is - genetic manipulation in a lab instead of genetic manipulation in an orchard?) is worse than regular food, either for the eater or for the environment (which is being screwed by most argicultural industry anyway due to biohomonization, so meh).

If that is not verified, then it's mandated FUD meant to stifle competition in the marketplace.
The question is, do you have the right to know what it is you're eating?

The genetic material added to the trouple would be for taste of the flesh. It wouldn't affect the rest of the fish at all. Just doesn't work that way.
The other day I at a grapple. It was ok. I didn't turn into a 50 foot mutant alligator with chainsaws for teeth after eating it and I'm reasonably sure a grape and an apple didn't fuck in the orchard. Pretty sure they made it in a lab.
Would you have eaten it if you didn't know what it was?

But I don't see any reason why they shouldn't label foods as "genetically modified". Why not? I'm not sure why anyone would want to know this as to date there's no evidence that gene-splicing is actually dangerous. There's also no evidence it's not. I guess the warning could read, "This product is genetically modified, which means it may or may not be hazardous to your health. It may even make you healthier. We sure as fuck don't know at this point, so enjoy!"

But then you have to define that term. And that, as the responses in this thread show, is where things get tricky. And because consumers are frightened by terms like "genetic modification", you can bet your button that General Foods is going to use every legal trick they can to avoid labeling as much as possible.

But to be honest, anyone who's eaten Cheetos or Froot Loops really shouldn't waste time worrying about genetically modified produce.

But I don't see any reason why they shouldn't label foods as "genetically modified". Why not? I'm not sure why anyone would want to know this as to date there's no evidence that gene-splicing is actually dangerous. There's also no evidence it's not. I guess the warning could read, "This product is genetically modified, which means it may or may not be hazardous to your health. It may even make you healthier. We sure as fuck don't know at this point, so enjoy!"

But then you have to define that term. And that, as the responses in this thread show, is where things get tricky. And because consumers are frightened by terms like "genetic modification", you can bet your button that General Foods is going to use every legal trick they can to avoid labeling as much as possible.

But to be honest, anyone who's eaten Cheetos or Froot Loops really shouldn't waste time worrying about genetically modified produce.

Those Cheetos Mix Ups are pretty good.

I did some work on recombinant DNA when I was pre-med with a leaning towards fruit flies and genetically modified foods, and while I don't have the expertise of your Harvard-PhD geneticist, I'm inclined to think that you mis-understood him.

I did some work on recombinant DNA when I was pre-med with a leaning towards fruit flies and genetically modified foods, and while I don't have the expertise of your Harvard-PhD geneticist, I'm inclined to think that you mis-understood him.
Alas, I did not misunderstand. Those who believe as you do are a pet peeve of his, about which he expounds at length. I suppose I could greet him with, "Some guy on the internet who took a few pre-med classes undergrad says you're wrong, so there!" next time I see him, but instead I'll continue to defer to his position and knowledge.

KRC: I see him every few days; I'll ask about the trouple. I had never heard of it...

Alas, I did not misunderstand. Those who believe as you do are a pet peeve of his, about which he expounds at length. I suppose I could greet him with, "Some guy on the internet who took a few pre-med classes undergrad says you're wrong, so there!" next time I see him, but instead I'll continue to defer to his position and knowledge.

KRC: I see him every few days; I'll ask about the trouple. I had never heard of it...

Don't give away my idea for the cornuffalo. I'm still working on the patent.

Don't give away my idea for the cornuffalo. I'm still working on the patent.
If I scroll farther or read more closely, will I discover that trouple was made up for this thread?

Btw, Urban Dictionary says trouple is a couple plus another person. I am going to rethink asking him what he thinks about trouples now.

If I scroll farther or read more closely, will I discover that trouple was made up for this thread?

Btw, Urban Dictionary says trouple is a couple plus another person. I am going to rethink asking him what he thinks about trouples now.

Maybe rename it an Aprout.

Back