YIKES! "Historic" Blizzard to Hit East Coast U.S.

Hello Summer!
From here:
A swath of the U.S. East Coast from Philadelphia to New York City to Maine was bracing for a potentially historic blizzard on Monday that is expected to dump as much as 2 feet (60 cm) of snow and snarl transportation for tens of millions of people.

The National Weather Service on Sunday issued a blizzard warning for the northern section of the East Coast from Monday afternoon until Tuesday and placed states from New Jersey to Indiana under winter storm watches and advisories.

"This literally could be one of the top two or three largest storms in the history of this city and we need to plan accordingly," New York Mayor Bill de Blasio told a news conference.
Bundle up, Fellow Writers! Also batten down the hatches, store-up the pantry, and pile up wood for the fireplace. Brrrrrrr!

And please, please, please check in and let us know how you're doing.

snowdog02101002pop-1.jpg

Rescue might not be possible.

Yup people here in RI are already running around buying bread and milk like they might be snowed in for two weeks:rolleyes:

Ever since the Blizzard of 78 people in this region panic at any mention of a decent size storm.

Yup people here in RI are already running around buying bread and milk like they might be snowed in for two weeks:rolleyes:
Milk I can understand, but shouldn't one just buy plenty of flour and be prepared to bake bread? :confused: If it's two weeks snowed in, one has time for that :D

Milk I can understand, but shouldn't one just buy plenty of flour and be prepared to bake bread? :confused: If it's two weeks snowed in, one has time for that :D

Baking? That's work!:eek:

My thing is about milk is if you lose power its going to go bad anyway....

I think you may need to think about this again.:D

Unless American milk doesn't freeze well?

Freeze yeah, but it tastes like crap defrosted.

IF it looks to be that bad I bag some bags of ice and toss things in a big cooler if the power goes out that way it stays cold, but doesn't freeze.

The thing is where we live we are not in the boondocks, we are past the age where we will be snowed in for ten days even in a bad storm, people just like to panic and the weather men act like terrorists with these things trying to scare the crap out of people.

Then we get three inches and excuses:rolleyes:

Kind of what some women say after a date....heh...heh....

I used to live in NYC. One of my sisters used to live there. So did some in-laws. (All of us except one in-law are Calif. natives.) The in-laws and I are now back in California; the sister is in Arizona. We won't experience this superstorm. Gosh. Maybe, just maybe, if more people left Back East, these blizzards wouldn't matter so much.

IMHO no place east of the Rockies if fit for human habitation. I certainly did not enjoy my stays in NY (city and upstate), Boston, DC, Ohio, Kansas, etc. But I'm a Californian, so maybe I'm rightfully prejudiced.

We could use a blizzard, actually. It would help refill the reservoirs. When it snows here on my 4000ft / 1200m elevation Sierra Mountains hamlet, I dream of Guatemala.

Freeze yeah, but it tastes like crap defrosted.

I get mine raw and most of the time I'll freeze a bottle or two. The consistency sometimes is a bit lumpy as it's full-fat Channel Island and not homogenised, but the taste is the same. Yum.

You Americans do weird things with eggs though, don't you? I wouldn't be surprised if your milk was strange-behaving either.

I see a prediction that the UK is in for some nasty cold stuff next week.

I see a prediction that the UK is in for some nasty cold stuff next week.

Not next week - next weekend. We will be getting the same weather system that the US East Coast is getting now. It won't be as bad unless you are far 'up north'.

Here in my part of the midwest we seem to have missed the superstorm. It isn't super here. We got a dusting of about an eighth of an inch. A few hours south, so friends tell me, there is more.

The snow isn't so bad, up here the plows hit the roads while it's still falling and keep after it. Blowing snow is the killer. Highways get closed and drifts pile up. They call it Blizzard. Ice storms are real bad too, and bring down power lines. In Nebraska I sat through a storm that along one road I traveled there were power lines and poles knocked down for ten miles. It was so bad that year that some areas took a week to get power back. Took four days for our house to get it back.

Would have been much cheaper in the long run to bury rural power lines.

It's a pain to shovel off sidewalks and driveways though. And power outages always make me swear I'll put in a wood stove.

I used to live in NYC. One of my sisters used to live there. So did some in-laws. (All of us except one in-law are Calif. natives.) The in-laws and I are now back in California; the sister is in Arizona. We won't experience this superstorm. Gosh. Maybe, just maybe, if more people left Back East, these blizzards wouldn't matter so much.

IMHO no place east of the Rockies if fit for human habitation. I certainly did not enjoy my stays in NY (city and upstate), Boston, DC, Ohio, Kansas, etc. But I'm a Californian, so maybe I'm rightfully prejudiced.

We could use a blizzard, actually. It would help refill the reservoirs. When it snows here on my 4000ft / 1200m elevation Sierra Mountains hamlet, I dream of Guatemala.

I love northern New Jersey! :D

Except when we get tons of snow and I have to shovel every day for a month. We are supposed to get 1 to 2 feet of snow tomorrow into Tuesday. Yay...

You think the panic buying before a snowstorm is bad, you should have seen Y2K. I was working grocery store at the time.

We had signs in specific sections that returns on some items over X amount would not be accepted, because people were buying 20 cases of bottled water and 8 cases of Spam.

I'd bet there are still some of those folks eating Spam they bought in December of '99 to this very day.

If you don't have electricity, you can't bake bread. However, if you have a wood stove or fireplace, you might luck out.

I'm in the path of this puppy but where I live we generally don't get the extreme amounts because of a) the river just to our West and b) the remnants of the Appalachians which seem to route the storms around my area to some extent.

That said, this storm should not surprise anyone because I took off this week to use some leave time. When I want to kick back and relax, you can be guaranteed crap weather will follow. If this were the summer, we'd have a hurricane come up the coast. Under no circumstance am I to be allowed to enjoy myself with some time off.

Think of all the babies that will be conceived during the 'down time' of the storm?

Think of all the fantastic sex that will be taking place? I already have reserved some 'storm sex' time with the wife.

Plus, as the snow falls, good time for the authors to write. The world covered in white, all anew, like a blank page......

You think the panic buying before a snowstorm is bad, you should have seen Y2K. I was working grocery store at the time.

We had signs in specific sections that returns on some items over X amount would not be accepted, because people were buying 20 cases of bottled water and 8 cases of Spam.

I'd bet there are still some of those folks eating Spam they bought in December of '99 to this very day.

Y2K! Oh man I remember all that shit...my father was one of those nuts buying up the water and canned goods and stocking up on ammo like a lunatic.

I don't know. That's a lot of purple.

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnnnext/da...-snow-prediction-1125-1900est-exlarge-169.jpg

QUOTE=lovecraft68;64601323]Freeze yeah, but it tastes like crap defrosted.

IF it looks to be that bad I bag some bags of ice and toss things in a big cooler if the power goes out that way it stays cold, but doesn't freeze.

The thing is where we live we are not in the boondocks, we are past the age where we will be snowed in for ten days even in a bad storm, people just like to panic and the weather men act like terrorists with these things trying to scare the crap out of people.

Then we get three inches and excuses:rolleyes:

Kind of what some women say after a date....heh...heh....[/QUOTE]

Temps predicted near normal 63 here. But we did spend over 60 winters living in Chicago which included their 3 worst storms. Hubby and I had our first date shortly after the Blizzard of '67.

Well that was anti-climactic. I got maybe, depending on where you measure, just over an inch of very fluffy snow overnight. They're claiming it should start snowing again (like now, which it isn't) but I'm not holding my breath.

The really annoying part is I took off this week and it's going to be cloudy and highly windy the entire time.

Sorry folks. This always happens when I take off. As I said further up, under no circumstances am I allowed to enjoy my time off. You'll just have to suffer through this with me.

I can't remember the year, late 70's is my guess because we had young kids. A big storm came with ample warnings. We moderately stocked up food. We invited the wife and kids of hubby's brother to stay with us rather than ride it out alone (B-I-L was over-the-road trucker). Hubby's mother lived with us too. We hunkered down for 2-3 days. Never lost power (underground) but travel was impossible.

Hubby noticed huge snow drifts on the roof so decided on his own to go up and push most of it off. His mother remarked about his forethought when the news began reporting a rash of roof collapses.

I have memories of warm drinks, crowded meals, games with the kids, and bundling up the kids to play outside. I can still picture kids making paths thru snow drifts above their heads.

I'm not too far from Philadelphia, which seems to be where a lot of this will hit, but they are having a hard time forecasting it even now. So it looks like we may get anywhere from 6-10" which isn't fun, but can be dealt with.

The kids went to school today but will get out an hour early and I figure there will at least by a delayed opening tomorrow if not a full snow day.

Luckily we are stocked up. For those who suggested actual baking -- good ideas, but not everyone keeps things like yeast on hand. I am considering making some cookies, though.

I'm not too far from Philadelphia, which seems to be where a lot of this will hit, but they are having a hard time forecasting it even now. So it looks like we may get anywhere from 6-10" which isn't fun, but can be dealt with.

The kids went to school today but will get out an hour early and I figure there will at least by a delayed opening tomorrow if not a full snow day.

Luckily we are stocked up. For those who suggested actual baking -- good ideas, but not everyone keeps things like yeast on hand. I am considering making some cookies, though.

As a former Philaburbian, I wish you well. I remember a blizzard in the mid-90s. The weight of the sn*w that drifted on our kitchen door cracked the bottom panel, which completely fascinated my 3-YO son. ("Snow IN, Mommy, Snow IN!")

I know you guys had horrible ice problems last week, too. My brother lives out near Phoenixville and simply refused to go outside for 2 days.

And yet I was sort of disappointed that the sn*w to our north was all melted away up in Sedona this weekend. It's pretty when it's on the peaks.

Back