When it doesn't translate

I know I'm in the minority here, but I don't enjoy British dialects of written English. I can't read Harry Potter or Tolkien.
Those two, all their crude arse jokes! Ron saying, 'Can I see your arse, Lavender?' And the way Gimli keeps calling him Legolarse.

edited: Ron used proper grammar, at least
 
Last edited:
I just finished reading a story in which the characters use a non-gendered "chi" to denote respect, the same way we would say "sir" or "ma'am" or "(rank)".

No italics or anything because to them it's just part of how they talk.

I think I worked it out on the second usage.

If it's a common English word, then maybe italics if you're writing in English. But honestly the sentence structure will make it pretty clear, since honorifics are always separate from the rest of the sentence, kind of like an interjection, and titles go where the subject of the sentence goes.

Trust your readers - we can figure it out. Just write how the dialogue/internal narrative flows naturally.
 
I've had Spanish, French, German, and Norwegian in my stories, all untranslated, all in italics. They weren't a huge part of the narrative, and whoever wanted to could use Google Translate to find the meaning (I consider them side quests for the reader).

In my current story, though, there's a LOT of French, and there will be much more once I'm done with it. I can't translate that, it makes no sense. But that's how the story is shaping up and that's how I want to write it, which is quite important 😄. So the Author Note will explain that Google Translate is essential (it's gotten really good at inferring context in confusing sentences). Those who use it will be rewarded, those who don't will still have a good story, but incomplete. I'm not too worried about it.

If you're just doing "Ate" and a few words here and there, you should be good.

I also saw quick glossaries in author notes to explain a few words (@HelenL did it in Seaspray).
If you take a peek at the intro to Through a Webcam, Darkly, I did exactly what you're suggesting.

Also, you may need to have Google Translate available, though I promise that it will make sense without.

Since Sam speaks no Spanish, Cici translates for her when needed, so it isn't essential that you have Google Translate, but if you don't, you'll miss significant color, like Cici telling Sam she's going to marry her on their first meeting.

I'm not sure how a glossary would work for a language, though. Those were only a few random words with straight English equivalents in Seaspray.

I've never had a problem hunting down non-English phrases in @THBGato's writing, and I think leaving those untranslated makes the story more interesting.
 
Last edited:
As @Kelliezgirl and @StillStunned note, it's fairly common in Sci-fi and Fantasy genres to use foreign words, even entire languages. And it's not like the reader can easily go to Google for help (in most cases). The better authors use any and all of the tricks presented here. The most common is just using a single word, usually italicized, and letting the reader figure it out in context.
"Frack/Frag/Dreck/Drell/Etc."
 
Oh, please. We all know Gimli's the bottom.
Hence the pleading, "Toss me, Legolas!"

Packed UK film audience cracked up - it was Boxing Day, everyone either gone to see the longest film available to escape their families, or hadn't yet sobered up from Christmas, or both.
I know I'm in the minority here, but I don't enjoy British dialects of written English. I can't read Harry Potter or Tolkien.

Obviously I have no problem with British people. Seriously, no shade to the UK writers here, I love you all, this is just a personal writing opinion that I hold. I'm sure my minimalist, US-style writing feels "off" to you guys just as much.
Sounds more like a style issue than the dialect. HP is pedestrian prose for children with some made-up words, which works fairly well until the author tried to target an older audience and the worldbuilding fell down.

Tolkien is deliberately slow and pondering in the style of a saga being told to entertain you throughout the winter. I did manage to read LoTR once by skipping the singing and skimming half the rest, because battles bore me.

Plenty of sparse British authors full of action. And wanky turgid fantasy written by Americans.
 
Plenty of sparse British authors full of action.
Please share! You can DM me if you want. I'm always looking for good writing! I admit that I was soured by early exposure, and also didn't think of Douglas Adams, one of my favorites specifically because his writing is so good.
 
I must be misremembering that. I thought he was talking to Aragorn when he says, 'toss me', followed with 'don't tell the elf'. Gimli getting a little on the side.
Could be. We hadn't sobered up from Christmas Eve yet. Ah for the times before parental responsibility, when you could be pleasantly tipsy for all of Christmas and sober up in the New Year...
 
@IsabellaSantiago @StillStunned

I hope you guys don't mind but I expanded my thoughts from this post into an "on writing" thread. This isn't a super common topic, but it comes up from time to time and I thought it might be useful down the road to have a thread dedicated to it that someone could find if they were searching for "on writing" threads.
Of course not. You've articulated it a lot better than I managed. While it isn't that common, I worry that some readers might be put off by it if it isn't handled in the best way.
 
I know I'm in the minority here, but I don't enjoy British dialects of written English. I can't read Harry Potter or Tolkien.

Obviously I have no problem with British people. Seriously, no shade to the UK writers here, I love you all, this is just a personal writing opinion that I hold. I'm sure my minimalist, US-style writing feels "off" to you guys just as much.
Is there much of a UK/US divide in style? I mean, for a start I wouldn't put Harry Potter in the same style bracket at Tolkien.

But I'd also classify Tolkien as quite minimalist compared with, say, Jack Vance or Robert E. Howard: much lighter on descriptiveness and purpleness of prose.
 
Is there much of a UK/US divide in style? I mean, for a start I wouldn't put Harry Potter in the same style bracket at Tolkien.
It's the little details, not the big stuff. "Mum" versus "mom." Since they're so subtle, I never totally acclimate to them the way I acclimated to the vocabulary of A Clockwork Orange. It's like when I had a car in college and it started making a strange noise and it distracted me but it still ran fine.

I think the same thing would happen if I read fantasy by an author from a different part of the US that brought their local vocabulary with them. "Pop" versus "soda." Standing "on line" versus "in line."

I'm backing off of my earlier stance. There were some personal biases that I have that I think I attributed to UK/US differences, but they're just regional dialect quirks. Fuhgeddaboudit :ROFLMAO:
 
didn't think of Douglas Adams, one of my favorites specifically because his writing is so good.
Indeed, who can resist this gem?

"Oh freddled gruntbuggly,
Thy micturations are to me
As plurdled gabbleblotchits on a lurgid bee.
Groop, I implore thee, my foonting turlingdromes,
And hooptiously drangle me with crinkly bindlewurdles,
Or I will rend thee in the gobberwarts
With my blurglecruncheon, see if I don't!"
 
Back
Top