What gets you most fired up on your activity feed? Favorites, followers, or comments?

FifthEstate

California Lover
When I first started publishing on Lit five years ago it was definitely favorites and/or comments and it probably still is for a couple of days following the release of a new story. But for all of the rest of the time, I look for those green follower notifications. How about you? Why?

Comments. Those people might have specific opinions or questions about my work and beg responses. Or deletions depending on what they say. They’re also the most infrequent responses I get here, sad to say. :(

As if they're looking at you and saying, "I like what you've written so far, but what else have you got? Well?"

More like, I’ve been writing all over different categories, and if someone follows me for writing gay male they probably won’t be delighted when I write lesbian sex next. I like everything I write but I don’t expect readers to feel that way.

Comments first, then followers. I have a handful of very loyal followers who will drop me a comment on most stories, even if it's in a category they don't usually read.

Faves are so far down in the noise as to be meaningless, so I've never paid much attention to those numbers.

Last edited:
Comments, because they're by far the rarest of the three and - sometimes at least - they show real thought about my work. Of course, I do welcome all three.

Has to be comments for me as well. They're that personal touch of another guy giving you their thoughts. A fav is something to make me feel like it did good, a follow shows someone eager for more, but comments are almost like a detailed review.

When I first started publishing on Lit five years ago it was definitely favorites and/or comments and it probably still is for a couple of days following the release of a new story. But for all of the rest of the time, I look for those green follower notifications. How about you? Why?
It's definitely comments, good or bad. But especially I look forward to getting comments on older stories, because I think those are often more positive or at least more thoughtful. And it's great that someone is reading and enjoying my stories well after the initial visibility after they're posted.

More like, I’ve been writing all over different categories, and if someone follows me for writing gay male they probably won’t be delighted when I write lesbian sex next. I like everything I write but I don’t expect readers to feel that way.
Good point. I don’t write in too many different categories, but I’ve experienced this. That said, I’ve received my fair share of comments saying the same thing.

Comments are the only ting that I really care about.

I do pay attention to votes to hits ratio (a 1 is the same as a 5 to me) but I don't put much stock in it, and I do check total hits comparing across categories to see which categories give more exposure.

But as far as feedback, yea it's just comments, positive critical or troll. It's all the same to me.

Thoughtful, detailed comments. Those have no price for me, although they don't come so often. If you loved the story, tell me why. If you disliked the story, then especially tell me why.
Aside from those, followers are a good measure of feedback, but they need to be weighed properly. The number of followers you have should be weighed against how long you have been writing on Lit, how many stories you have written, in which categories, which kinks/themes/tropes, how popular those themes are, and so on.

The rarest of the rare for me is the email feedback, which I've only received a few times. A couple of those have been very thoughtful and kind, and those win. Then, yeah, like everyone else has said, comments, particularly the ones of substance. I appreciate "more please" for what it is, but that's a small step above a good vote.

The rarest of the rare for me is the email feedback, which I've only received a few times. A couple of those have been very thoughtful and kind, and those win. Then, yeah, like everyone else has said, comments, particularly the ones of substance. I appreciate "more please" for what it is, but that's a small step above a good vote.
I've had four comments via email. Two were just a few nice words, the other two were "I've been bonking my little sister since she was [insert an age that makes me queasy just thinking about it]."

I've had four comments via email. Two were just a few nice words, the other two were "I've been bonking my little sister since she was [insert an age that makes me queasy just thinking about it]."
I would be tempted to give those people the benefit of the doubt, and imagine that that's their own version of writing erotica, living out their taboo fantasy through the anonymity of the internet. But who knows...

I would be tempted to give those people the benefit of the doubt, and imagine that that's their own version of writing erotica, living out their taboo fantasy through the anonymity of the internet. But who knows...
Me too, but it doesn't make it any more pleasant to read. Particularly not when it arrives in your email inbox.

Comments, mostly because I get so few. It’s the categories I write in, I think.

Followers I tend to fear, because there are a couple of bad actors who follow me to 1-bomb anything I post. I suspect it was from the one LW story I posted a couple of years ago, since removed (for other reasons). I don’t have that many followers, so the signal-to-noise ratio there is poor, for me, at least.

Favorites? Statistically meaningless. I tend to side with the folks who have observed that people will “favorite” something as a bookmark for later reading, then not get around to it.

Comments, especially if they're detailed enough to either help me improve or truly understand how a reader is engaging with my story. Emailed comments are also nice, which afford a back and forth to get into the weeds of story elements.

Aside from those, followers are a good measure of feedback, but they need to be weighed properly. The number of followers you have should be weighed against how long you have been writing on Lit, how many stories you have written, in which categories, which kinks/themes/tropes, how popular those themes are, and so on.
100% agree with this. That said, I don’t think most readers follow “bad” authors. Or follow them for nefarious reasons…

100% agree with this. That said, I don’t think most readers follow “bad” authors. Or follow them for nefarious reasons…
Those followers who decide to follow an author just so they can bomb their stories or write negative comments do exist, although they are rare in general.

Comments, though they’re as rare as a virgin in a whorehouse (mostly, anyway). Some PMs have been very encouraging, a few leading to good friendships (25+ back-and-forth emails minimum). I cherish them the most.

Comments, by far. I don’t get very excited over numbers.

Followers make me suspicious, like there’s now people expecting something from me 😁
I don't mind them expecting things, as long as they are prepared to be another in the long line of people I've disappointed.

Back