Purple Haze
Literally Stimulated
- Joined
- Sep 19, 2000
- Posts
- 19,290
The eyeball is an amazing thing, imperfect as it is. (lots of people still need glasses)
A very good friend of mine is an atheist. He posesses a very high IQ, he's extremely self-educated and has what I consider to be very good taste in art and music. He's funny, considerate, caring, generous and is as non-violent as a good christian is supposed to be. There isn't a mean bone in his body. I love him like a brother.
What drives me a little insane about the guy is his quick dismissal of any theory that doesn't have scientific proof. If you've seen a miracle, he'll produce a scientific theory why it happened or didn't happen, but many of his theories will fall short of what I consider to be "proof". If you've seen a ghost, (I have) he'll be so sure it that there must be some chemical reaction of the brain that caused this illusion, but he still hasn't proven it didn't happen anymore than I can prove it did. Ironically, one of his other best friends is a devout catholic (is there really such a thing?) who is just as firm with his belief that all the answers are in one book. How these people with diometrically opposed opinions haven't killed each other, but have stayed the best of friends for decades is a miracle in itself.
Teach the bible in public school? Absolutely not. There are plenty of private schools that do because America is free. The separation of church and state needs to be fought for on all fronts. Religon+Politics=Violence. It's been proven.
A very good friend of mine is an atheist. He posesses a very high IQ, he's extremely self-educated and has what I consider to be very good taste in art and music. He's funny, considerate, caring, generous and is as non-violent as a good christian is supposed to be. There isn't a mean bone in his body. I love him like a brother.
What drives me a little insane about the guy is his quick dismissal of any theory that doesn't have scientific proof. If you've seen a miracle, he'll produce a scientific theory why it happened or didn't happen, but many of his theories will fall short of what I consider to be "proof". If you've seen a ghost, (I have) he'll be so sure it that there must be some chemical reaction of the brain that caused this illusion, but he still hasn't proven it didn't happen anymore than I can prove it did. Ironically, one of his other best friends is a devout catholic (is there really such a thing?) who is just as firm with his belief that all the answers are in one book. How these people with diometrically opposed opinions haven't killed each other, but have stayed the best of friends for decades is a miracle in itself.
Teach the bible in public school? Absolutely not. There are plenty of private schools that do because America is free. The separation of church and state needs to be fought for on all fronts. Religon+Politics=Violence. It's been proven.