Tigrans' Revenge IC

Getting Organized

Felina smiled “I hope we are winning … but we only have a quarter of the city … the bugs have the rest. They also have most of the weapons. I think we need to make/find some more weapons. That means we need to secure our gains … the longer we control this part of the city … everyone else in Ardalis will realize the demons can be defeated. We have about 5000 tigrans to command.

I think we’ll need intelligence and special operations behind the enemy’s defensive lines. That is where the Special Operations group comes in. I was thinking you and Jola. I would have included Scar as well” Felina said and then turned to Scar looking directly into his eyes. “But I was hoping Scar could take the job of commanding general of the resistance?” She asked him.

Queen Shella and failure

The queen took a deep breath and quietly she talked to the knight

“Deson … I know failure. My city is occupied. My husband is dead. I refuse to allow these failures to stop me. I have also known others that have failed and recovered to greatness. Let me tell you two stories … Many years ago a Tigran named Captain Katua fought in the Orc war. He lost his way on patrol and was captured. He spent 2 years in an Orc prison camp. He finally escaped and later rose to the rank of Talon commander within our army. The last queen Patu Warbeast, before she was married to the King Horu Warbeast, had run a failed business, had a nervous breakdown, and had thoughts about suicide. She became one of our best queens and I tried, still today, to model my actions against hers. So how did these two people achieve such extraordinary success after failing?

They had experience with the all-too-familiar gut-wrenching numbness of failure you feel now. But Talon Commander Katua told me, he said to himself “I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul.” Patu told me to embrace your weaknesses and shortcomings, learn from them … turn them into strengths. The great paradox is that the people who enjoy the most public successes often endure the greatest private failures. However, these people understand how they handle the dark moments gives them the internal strength to shine during the bright ones.

You are not a failure unless you act like one. I will tell you, I would rather be guarded by a knight that failed than one that had never failed.” She looked directly into his eyes “My life is safer in your hands than anyone else I can think of.”

Where there is smoke there is fire?

Deep in the juggle on the path back to Ardalis the dead demon patrol lay all around Jonz. The draconian wiped his blade and placed it back in its holder. Sanura came over and gave him a hug saying back to Baban Tylos “I told you he could handle them … he is amazing!” She glowed smiling up at the big dragonman.

Aziza grunted “I have been putting up with this gushing for days!! But Jonz does know how to fight.” She said.

The mage tipped his hat to Jonz “Well done Master Jonz … but let us keep going” He added. They checked the demon bodies for weapons or supplies, finding nothing useful on them ... they moved on. Coming out of the hills and the thicker jungle there were gaps in the trees where they could see the city. The dark heavy cloud covered the city allowing very little light to reach it. But more surprising smoke was rising from the Merchant quarter ... fighting was going on in teh city.

“What do you think that means?” Baban asked Aziza about the smoke.

“Trouble … let’s hurry!” she said as they started down the hill at double time speed.

Deson yields

Deson looked at the queen's eyes and the empty look his eyes previously held, now seemed to receive a spark. Of course life didn't spring into life as kindling which caught fire, the spark more allowed dormant coals to come to live. Deson felt that he had more to live for than to just kill demons, the king was still alive, these people who had been driven from their homes still had the courage to stand and fight. He gave the queen a lopsided smile,

"Well if you insist on getting your claws dirty, I will cover your tail your majesty."

He motioned to the others,

"Let's go see if they have better drinks than the bitter ale I just had."

With that he rose and offered his arm to the queen, the ichor had dried by now and it just made him happy, cleaning off the dirt would be like cleansing his soul, there was much to learn from the Tigran people.

Jonz

Jonz paused for a few moments, there was something wrong about the city, it wasn't just fighting, there was a portal of some sort, but that was not all, something else curled in his bones, like meeting your doom. He knew that draconians are known to sense demons and this feeling could mean only one thing, that there was a very very dangerous demon inside those walls. He grunted and took off after the group, catching up with them, he shared his thoughts and as they drew closer the feeling grew.

General Scar takes command

Scar turned to Felina and grunted.

“Thaur is gonnae be a coonter attack. mark mah words. I’ll be yer general only if ye listen tae mah words canny … aw ye build defenses … th' bugs are gonnae flin' everythin' they hae at us!” He stated with authority.

Felina gasped at his comment. She had heard him before worry about a counter attack ... but his voice was deadly serious this time. The fear struck her.

Jola joined in “I’m not a military person but I agree with Scar. If I was the invading leader I’d attack while the rebellion is still weak. And the attack can’t fail … they will use everything they have!” Jola added.

Felina took a deep breath and got a hold of herself “Ok Scar ... you have my promise, I’m ordering everyone to build defenses. I need a General. What are your orders for me?” She asked Scar

“First ye cannae shaw fear, lassie … be calm an' under control. Rally th' fowk. Gie th fowk to hink they can win thes. ye ur th' public spokespersons for th' rebellion … an' ye ur a great one. We’ll need a backup plan … a place tae retreat if th' bugs overwhelm uir defense. Ah shoods send a call fur help tae th' queen. We need th’ bugs busy with mair problems than jist us. Finally gie th' tigrans out of th' halocus hooses … PARTY IS OWER … THAUR IS A WAR TO FIGHT!”

“Yes General Scar” Felina nodded. "We can win this right? She asked.

"With help ... Yes" Scar said patting her on the shoulder.

“Next” Scar said “We will divide up th' tigran fighters in th' followin' way. Ah want 5 brigades formed”

“Ah, we call them Talons” Fawn corrected Scar and then quickly added “General”

Scar had been giving her a mean look, but smiled at the “general” comment “Ah want 5 talons formed, Ah want Capt’n Bones commain 1000 tigrans, place 500 under yer direct commain an' defend th' Nibila brigge frae th' isle of ventulli. Throgram will be yer assistance an' commain th' other 500 'at will defend along th' river front”

“Ah want Tia an' Fawn each tae commain 1000 tigrans fur th' defense ay th' west gate area. Th' remainin' 2000 would be directly controlled ay myself an' placed in reserve status. Thes units needs tae focus oan buildin' defensive structures deeper in th' quarter, trainin' an' providin' mair weapons. Ah will order them tae product arrows by th' chart full. Ah want a' fowk tae use th' buildin', th' high ground, an' narraw streets tae divide up th' bugs an' pick them aff wi' arrows.”

Everyone said “yes sir” and hurried off to follow his orders, everyone except Fawn, Jola, Gilly.

"General Scar ... Isis will be impressed!!" Fawn said and hurried to join Tia at the western gate defense. Scar thought about Isis. He knew she would have been so impressed ... but he also knew she was dead. His eyes grew harder. He would make the bugs pay ... and oay dearly. He would have his revenge! He turned to Jola and Gilly.

An evill smiled appeared on his lips “Haur is whit Ah want mah special operations unit doing' ….” He explained in great glee and in secret as no one else was around to hear what he ordered.

Breval Nightweeper

The shadow demon commander was again seated in King Goldenmane’s throne. The strange shadows danced around behind it as it thought and pondered its next move. Suddenly the shadowy evil spirits that made up those shadows disappeared. The commander noted their disappearance and stood up. Then slowly its body also disappeared. King Goldenmane’s throne room was empty. The demons in Ardalis had lost their high commander!!

The shadow demon commander reappeared in a large assembly hall. Before it were four demon lords seated in the semi-circle. These were THE demon lords of the Garlik kingdom. Each were fearsome looking creatures, as tall as two humans and equally as wide and hulking. Their skin was totally black in color as if when light fell into them it could not escape. Armored scales cover their humanlike form, but their faces were gruesome, with large curved back horns that grew from their eyebrows.

The shadow demon commander had been here before and knew it was seldom a good place to be. The demon lord named Pevil was seated in the middle seat. This was the leader’s seat. Strangely Nevil was not in the assemble hall.

“Breval Nightweeper, please report the status of the Tigran operation” Pevil ordered.

The shadow demon commander had given up its old name when it had taken commander of the tigran operation. Oddly, the demon lord used it.

“I have ordered an acceleration of the operation. I believe success will be realized within 2 days. There has been very little resistance, although recently a small part of the city has had an uprising. I have it contained and if the rebels do not surrender … I plan to harvest their souls.” Berval reported.

“Excellent, your report is collaborated with my other sources.” Pevil stated looking at the other demon lords at the table for any contrary information. None was reported.

“Berval …. The Kingdom of Palamar operation has failed. Additionally and more importantly there has been a development on the council … Nevil is no longer with us. A creature you are familiar with named the deathknight has removed him from this plane of existence. It was most unfortunate. Nevil is on the plane of death. A Xacavertall, tentacle monster, has swallowed him.” Pevil explained.

“Is there no way to get him back?” Berval asked. But the question was out of courtesy, Berval did not care about Nevil, not one bit. In fact, Berval was happy about Nevil removal. Berval also was beginning to understand why it was at this sudden meeting with the council and their use of its old name.

“There are ways … but not without significant magical resources. Presently with numerous operations ongoing we’ll need to proceed without him” Pevil explained. Berval knew that what Pevil said was true but even without the engagements Pevil would not want rival Nevil back at the head of the council.

Pevil acid dripping mouth opened a small amount as he smiled. “The council would like to make you aware that at the successful completion of the tigran operation … you will be asked to join the council as Nevil replacement. We shall restore your body and you shall no longer be a shadow demon.” Pevil explained.

Berval nodded and bowed before the council “Thank you that would be a great honor.” It stated

Pevil was still smiling “remember … after the successful completion of the operation... I shall send you back now” The demon lord said and Berval slowly disappeared and reappeared in the tigran throne room.

Berval could almost not believe it … to be on the demon lord council … to have its body restored. Its hard work had paid off. Well, almost paid off. The operation here needed to be successful. The shadow demon commander face filled with determination and it walked out of the throne room with purpose to get King Leo Goldenmane.

The real threat revealed

Makla’s revelers outside the seedy pub were still at it. The sound of their joy and happiness entered the pub muffled and reduced, but the not in spirit and emotional content. The people of Makla were happy to be free.

The human knight and the queen walked toward the main group her arm wrapped around the knight’s. The queen thought about Deson’s comment about “Let's go see if they have better drinks than the bitter ale I just had.” It caused Shella to smile, she added to his statement

“Victory sometimes tastes bitter sweet … Victory always comes at a price. We lost some good tigrans today. But I think the victory is mostly sweet for this battle thanks to you … and these brave souls” she said as the reached the table with Mirri, Isis, Lord Haki, Commander Hatur, Cyclops, and Skadu. All of them stood up as the Queen arrived.

Skadu, a tigran of few words, responded to the Queen statement. “Victory can also taste bitter when the game is fixed” He stated grimly.

“What do you mean?” the queen asked as everyone looked at the powerful black panther tigran.
“When I battled the strange demon creature from the tunnel dimension … the shadow demons revealed their real plan. They are going to stabilize the portal that brought them here. This will allow the creatures of the tunnel dimension to enter our world. A thousand creatures were what they expected to come through the portal to begin with. If these creatures are anything like the one I fought … they are almost undefeatable.” Skadu explained in his cool … unemotional manner.

“What are you saying, Skadu? That thing you fought hat could pop in and out of thin air … there would be a thousand of them?” Isis asked.

“Yes” Skadu answered simply.

“That is what they need the iron for. This was never about metal for weapons. They plan to use that material to strengthen the portal. A thousand tunnel creatures could destroy all life on this world! We need to stop them!” The queen gasped

Mirri looked toward her subordinate commanders “You heard the queen … get the Army ready to move out as soon as possible … we leave at first light to retake Ardalis!”

The queen looked at her Talon Commander “Correction … the mission is to close that portal … retaking Ardalis is a secondary priority!”

Everyone at the table understood right then … what this fight was about. It was no longer about their city, it was about all the life on the planet! Everyone put down their tankards of beer.

“Bitter indeed!” Lord Haki commented and they all headed for the pub’s exit

Jola and Gilly … bridging the gap … or was it … gapping the bridge?

The sky was always dark in the city these days. The cloud overhead had thickened, but Gilly and Jola could still tell morning was coming. Light from the sun fought bravely to make it through the cloud … and the light won enough to increase the illumination at the river’s edge.

Jola watched as the Halfling placed the “stone to water” scroll on the bridge section over them. Jola had been impressed by the Halfling abilities, from the first time she had seen them. She was even more impressed now, Gilly moved like a snake sneaking up on its prey, soundlessly. If Jola could fault the rogue it was in the speed she moved. Jola liked to move even slower and more silently than Gilly.

The mission General Scar had given them was important. Disable the bridges crossing the river to the western part of the city. In this way, the shadow demons would have great difficulties resupplying their troops and reinforcing them. The mission showed Scar was thinking strategically, like a general.

Jola was coiled up behind a bush trying to avoid a bug guard placed to guard the river bank and the bridge. Jola had her full combat gear on; she was again in the black cloak that stuck to her body after her swim in the river. She had her sword hanging from her black belt, her magic staff strapped on her back, two healing potions, two fire bomb flasks and finally she had her four throwing daggers on the back of her belt.

She looked through a small slit in the black cloak, the only part not covering her face. The shadow demon was coming closer and Jola did not have time to warn Gilly. Who was almost done placing the scroll under the bridge section. Jola coiled her snake body tighter, getting ready … her snake body was covered in the mud of the river bank and blended in with the river bank.

The demon guard turned its back for one moment. Jola struck. She quickly unharnessed her one of her daggers and sprang from behind the bush. Her snake coils wrapped around the guard and squeezed as she rammed the dagger into the bug’s mouth.

The demon tried to click a warning but could not.

"Fuck you!" Jola whispered a reply to the bug’s attempts to click and her coils squeezed harder. The bug’s body ruptured with a small “popping” noise and she released thedead bug back into the river. She silently moved back under the bridge.

“Hurry … I had to kill one of the guards!” She whispered to Gilly. Just then there was the sound of numerous footsteps moving over the bridge … there must have been at 20 or 30 demons crossing the bridge. There was also the sound of something being dragged! Like a body! Had they been found? Was this her final battle?

King Leo Goldenmane

Pain … Pain can destroy a mind. The demons had done everything to him. Broken his bones … pulled out his claws … cut off his limps as he was forced to watch. The worst had been when they boiled him alive. The pain of the hot oil had been extreme. Then afterwards the sores which were hypersensitive to touch caused even more pain. The demons would always heal him again … and do something else horrible to him. Each time increasing his suffering; intensifying it until it became unbearable. His mind had shutdown.

Somehow, even in this shutdown state, he kept two words in his mind. These were the only two words he allowed himself to say.

“FUCK OFF” He would gasp as they asked him questions. But days of torture … and finally his mind went completely away. It was like he was in some kind of mist … things hit him and poked at him … more pain … but he did not hear questions or how he answered them.

As the mist cleared, he remembered the pain, but nothing else. Who and what had caused it was unknown to him. He saw a friendly shadow demon commander standing before him. Somehow he knew this was his friend and ally.

“King Goldenmane … it is so good to have you back with us. The healers tell me the rebel spell of pain has been removed. And you are on your way to making a full recovery. How do you feel?” The demon asked him.

“I feel better … but don’t remember anything” King Goldenmane answered.

“MMMM … the healers warned me … this might happen. It is a complication from the pain removal spell. It will take some time until you recover your memories. The healers do not know how long … in some cases it took days, some months. I’m sorry I cannot give you better news.” The demon said sadly

The King put up his paw “The removal of the pain was worth it. I cannot describe how awful the pain was. I believe a good night sleep will help me. If you could help me to my room” The king requested.

“Sire … I’m afraid your people need you. A part of the city had revolted. It is the merchant quarter. We have attempted to contain the problem … but should they attack our defensive positions there will be bloodshed. I was hoping you could give a speech asking them to surrender. No harm will come to the rebels … I assure you. In fact, I was thinking if it is ok with you … we’ll allow them to remain in control … as long as they turn over their weapons and don’t interrupt our operations near the portal.” The demon commander explained.

"After the rebel pain spell ... my concern for the rebels has waned" The king grumbled. But the king knew his duty and continued "I’m very tired … but if it saves tigran lives ... I’ll do it” King Goldenmane replied bravely but then he collapsed unconscious to the ground.

The demon commander turned to its assistants “Drag him to the merchant quarter … and make him give the speech!” It ordered

“Yes … demon commander!” they replied and they grabbed the king

"Oh and if the speech fails ... kill the king" The demon commander ordered. The assistants nodded and dragged the tigran king out of the torture room.

Deson stood at the table listening to the discussion, something nagged at him in the back of his mind, there was something about this demon that Skadu had faced which sounded familiar, he could not place his finger on it quite yet. He was at the tail end of the group leaving the seedy pub. He was about to step out when he stopped. Something had touched his mind, something pure and holy. He turned and looked into the darkest corner of the pub. There, sitting in a white robe, was a young woman. She was barely in her teens. She wore a blindfold and her hair was as black as pitch. It was The Word!! How she had gotten here … he could not understand. But it was her he was certain of that, slowly he strode over to the corner. The Word smiled as he arrived at her table.

“It is good to see you again, Deson” she said even though she was blindfolded. “I do not have much time … I must warn you. In the battle to come … It all will come down to you. You will save the world … or not. You are the key. You doubt your abilities … Listen to Queen Shella, she spoke true to you. Doubt, your doubt, can be ended by action … Act Deson … ACT!” The Word told him …. And then in a whisper she end her encounter with him “or the doom will consume us all”

At those final words, she stood up and walked into Deson as if she was a ghost. The two occupied the same space … as she faded away. All his tiredness was gone; his healing returned to full strength, he could feel the natural power course through his very being, it was ... a miracle. Then her words spoke to him, faint and soft in the back of his mind, "We know of your secret Deson, do not fear. More knights are on their way, but they will be too late for the final battle. Remember Deson...ACT."

Deson turned and looked around, nobody seemed to have noticed the exchange, then he exited the building, following the group, already he felt a need to go to the Medical unit and help where he could and that was exactly what he did.

Gilly was hanging under the bridge after just placing the last scroll when she felt the vibrations of people walking across the bridge. She heard Jola tell her to hurry up and that she killed a guard. Gilly carefully went to the edge of the bridge to try and see who was going across the bridge. As she got to the edge the people were just leaving the bridge and she could see it wasn't people but demons and the person they were dragging looked to be a tigran. Gilly kept watching and saw the demons move apart for a second, enough time for Gilly to recognize that the person they were dragging wasn't just any tigran, it was the King!! Gilly quickly moved back over to where Jola was waiting for her.

"Jola, those demons that just crossed the bridge, they have the King and they are dragging him to the merchant quarter. I don't like this at all, we have to get the King away from them before they harm him anymore! We should get back and let the others know because it will take more than just you and me to get the king away from that many demons."

Gilly carefully started out from under the bridge. She wanted to stay close to the demons to see where they were headed but back far enough so they don't notice them. The king did not look good at all, his head was hanging down like he was passed out. What good will a king who is passed out do them? He obviously was not going willingly, they had to get him away and quickly! They seemed to be heading towards the stage! Gilly had an idea and had to let the others know and maybe they could get the king without him getting hurt anymore!

When they got back to the base command center it was almost empty except for Scar who was giving commands to a few tigran.

"Scar, we saw the king! The demons have him here in the merchant quarter and they are over by the stage area!! We need to rescue him quickly!" Gilly told him quickly.

"Calm down lassie, what is this about the king?", Scar asked. Scar looked at Jola, "How did the king look, did he see either of you? The stage area huh?"

"Yes, and I have an idea of how we can rescue him!" Gilly said excitedly. "Remember the loose boards? We can use them to our advantage. Now, I know we can't get close enough to be under the stage again, but we could get on a building and jump down onto the stage and dislodge a few of those boards to propel a few of the demons away and cause enough of a distraction for someone to grab the king and get him to safety! What do you think?"

She could see that Scar was working it out in his head and before he had a chance to speak she continued with a bit more.

"I would be willing to be the one to jump off the building and into the demons and hopefully Jola would be okay with grabbing the king since she has so many tricks up her sleeves that the demons are totally unaware of and she can protect the king at the same time as she fights off the demons. Well?" Gilly asked.

Mirri

Mirri had been waiting to continue the night with her new friend, but now all such thoughts fled her mind. She had been told about the fight between her lead scout master now and the strange demon and if what he said was true they had no choice but to sacrifice themselves to protect the world.

The gravity of the situation instantly sobered her up and as she walked out with the Queen she was already issuing commands. "Lord Haki, Commander Hatur, please proceed in trying to round up as many of our men as possible and get them to stop celebrating now. I don't care if you have to rouse several signalers and blow a muster, I want all Talons in a fit shape to travel at first light tomorrow."

"Skadu, see if you can round up your scouts and set off for the capital. Leave me two competent warriors to guard us and show us the way, but I want you to be there way before us scouting our city out and finding out what is going on and the best places for us to hide our army and to attack from. If you come across any bugs or demons foolish enough to be traveling by themselves or in pairs, teach them the error of their ways, but no heroics though. Also see if you can contact Scar or any of our other resistance members."

"Isis I want you to take Cyclops here and go and talk to the mayor and Borak and see if any of his men want to join up and fight for their lives, Land and country. From what I saw today they would be a welcome addition to our ranks and would definitely go a long way to recuperating our losses."

"I will also need a list of what supplies are available to us, how many Claws are at full strength and which ones are not and their numbers, what we have scavenged from the enemy in the way of weapons and armor and I need all of this yesterday. Now move out people, it is only 9 hours until sun up."

She strode purposefully towards the Queens tent. Once again it would be used as a command tent and she knew she would be getting by on minimal sleep for several weeks it seemed. Grinning she shrugged mentally. Well she did not join the army for the glory.

Bones and Throgram

Capt’n Bones had made it over to Captain Throgram position.

“The wind is shifting … our enemy is on a new tact” The sea captain stated.

“I agree … the bugs have heavily fortified the bridge crossing.” Throgram agreed

“Aye … and the entire river bank too! I have reported the scuttlebutt to General Scar.” Bones added.

“It is like they are cutting off all our escape routes” Throgram speculated

“Aye … and they are doing a mighty good job of it” Capt’n Bones said with a touch of dread in his voice.

Jola

Jola moved along the cold dank storm pipe that ran near the stage area. The sound of the massive harvester bugs were all around her. They communicated between themselves with a very high-pitched click, so soft, that it could barely be heard unless someone was very close. Jola could hear them just fine, she was TOO close. She thought back to the discussion she had only an hour earlier. She and Gilly were in a small alley watching the King be dragged along. She had argued with Gilly, they should to attack and free the King now. Two against 20.

Gilly argued they did not stand a chance …

“If we can't free him … then our last act should be to kill the king. The bugs were going to use him for evil … there was no doubt in my mind … and his death would prevent that abuse.” Jola had said to Gilly. Gilly answered “there was still time … we need to inform Scar. Be patient ... like a snake.”

It had worked. Jola backed off.

Now Jola shivered, she hated the cold … and she hated the storm pipe she was in. She was starting to hate the decision she had made. “We should have tried to free him when we could” She thought to herself. Peeking through a small crack in the storm pipe, Jola could see the king was nearing the dais and the speaking podium. Flanking him on his left and right were 6 harvesters! The stage was facing the defensive position the resistance fighters had set up near the western gate. The pipe she was in lay just in front of the defensive line.

Jola crept closer to the King’s position … not knowing what would happen once Gilly jump down onto the platform. She hoped the Halfling was in position. Jola had seen demons on the roof tops. The Halfling would need to be careful to get in position.

Nevertheless, Jola would be ready. Even if he Halfling did not show, she knew what she MUST do. Jola was starting to get the feeling her luck was running out. This might be the conflict where she was finally killed. So be it. She should have died when Ardel had been killed by the demons. If this was going to her last fight … she planned to take as many demons as possible with her. She wanted a battle that the bard’s would sing about for eons. She wanted this whole area to be flooded with the black goo … these demons called blood. SHE WANTED FUCKING REVENGE!!

The King got ready to speak. Jola looked up at him again from another small hole in the pipe. The King looked divine as Jola gazed up at him. He was a great figure … with his golden mane blowing in the small breeze. He wore no crown or robe of office, that did not matter, Jola could tell he was royal and a king.

“Too bad” she thought “my last blow will be to kill you. You deserve better.”

Makla

The sun had not yet shown its first rays to the mining town … but standing outside the gates of Makla was the Queen’s Army. Mirri had gotten everything she had asked for. Supplies and weapons were ready. Extra weapons and armor were available in carts being pulled by horses and mules. The miner’s also had a cart loaded with blasting scrolls. Normally used for clearing rock inside the mountain … the miner’s had suggested that the wall around Ardalis could be breeched with enough scrolls.

Every claw was at full strength augmented by the Maklan miners, with enough tigrans to form a few new claws.

Mirri called each unit to attention and asked them if they were ready to move out. All answered her yes … except the last one … lead by a giant human with only one eye.

“Cyclops not ready yet” The big ugly human called back … “Cyclops need good luck kiss from pretty pussy cat!” All the ranks of the army laughed. Mirri was about to head over, when the queen stopped her.

“Cyclops … it would be my pleasure!” Queen Shella said and walked over and kissed the big guy. A huge cheer rose up from the troops.

“Talon Commander Mirri … ADVANCE ON ARDALIS … CLOSE THE PORTAL … AND RETAKE OUR HOME!!” the Queen ordered. Another huge cheer rose up from the troops.

Deson had a good night's rest even during the preparations, he sat on a horse, dressed in chainmail, his weapons and shield all strapped and buckled into place, his robes covering him from the sun and kept his face in shadow, once more he was just an unknown man on a horse. Of course everybody he traveled with knew exactly who he was and if a higher level demon came near to him, it would know what he was.

As the Tigrans cheered around him, he sat in what could be seen as brooding silence, moving forward as the column started to move. He kept looking around them though, taking in the different kinds of soldiers and formulated a plan of attack, now if they could only find a way to send word to the rebels inside of the city...

We have a dream

Leo's head was spinning. He felt like he was awake … but he knew he was still asleep. The dream was very detailed. It was incredible. He was in a world of his own now – he saw the crumbled western gate. He noticed the 6 large harvesters and the Army of shadow demons ready to attack the rebels. At least there was no pain or torture in this little dream of his.

As he walked up to the speaking platform, two shadow demon guards flanked him. There was a hush of silence from the tigran rebel defenders. “They still love their king.” He thought “At least in this dream they do.” A world of his own making … yet he wasn't alone in his dream state, someone else was there too. His mind could only see the dream ... teh fake merchant district … the fake rebels ... there were no real people in his dream. Yet he felt something ... he focused harder on that person he felt in his dream … he got the feeling that something was not right, that he was not supposed to ...

Then Leo's brain and his body seemed to get kick by a magical force … He nodded and unrolled the scroll and began to read.

To the good and loyal citizens and subjects of Ardalis. I, King Leo Goldenmane, wish to ask for your help. The world is being threatened by the humans and after pondering deeply I decided to effect an agreement with the shadow demons to prevent the humans from releasing a most cruel and horrible weapon. A weapon so powerful … that’s its damage is, indeed, incalculable. The use of this weapon may ultimately collapse and obliterate our planet. This weapon is a portal to another dimension. The humans are going to open a portal to another dimension and release their inhabitant upon our world!

That person in his dream was screaming something … but Leo could not hear it clearly ... He kept reading

This situation has forced me to resort to an extraordinary measure, to allow the shadow demons to occupy our city in order to fight the humans. I’m keenly aware of the inmost feelings of all of you, my citizens and subjects. This is a bitter sacrifice. I ask that you endure the unavoidable and suffer what is unsufferable. However, understand that for all the generations to come that you paved the way for a grand peace. This has been necessary to prevent the humans from carrying out their evil plot!

The voice got louder … but Leo tried to screen it out

But because I acted … without your full knowledge …we have become split. A family divided. Let us all as an entire nation come back as one family. Have faith in my leadership and lay down your arms. Rejoin your brothers and sisters, your fathers and mothers, your sons and daughters … come rejoin your family. Help us save the world from the humans. Unite we cannot fail!

The choice is yours to make … lay down your arms or … I can no longer protect you from the shadow demons.

At the end of his speech Leo finally heard the voice clearly … it was screaming “FUCK OFF” The only two words he had allowed himself say in answer to the Demon’s questions. The person in this dream was himself. His own mind was warning himself of this dream. That made no sense … there is nothing real that can happen in a dream. Then why the warning? … UNLESS THIS WAS NOT A DREAM!

Leo looked out over the defensive walls. Tigran rebel were discussing what he had said. Some were seen laying down their weapons. Some were thinking about surrendering, they were going to trust him, their leader. King Leo Goldenmane spoke again.

“Tigrans … listen to me … There are principals bigger than a King. They are things YOU CAN NEVER COMPROMISE. HONOR and COURAGE:

As Tigrans you will maintain honor regardless of personal consequences. As Tigrans you have courage to do what is right, even in the face of personal adversity.

And finally do not forget the code of conduct … the ones written for the orc wars. I WILL REMIND YOU OF PART 1 … YOU ARE TO NEVER TO SURRENDER AS LONG AS YOU CAN RESIST!”
The king screamed and quickly grabbed a sword from one of the flanking guards and stuck it into the head of the other flanking guard.

There was a cheer from the resistance fighters … as the King quickly killed the other flanking guard. But a 100 or more guards were running to get him … and there was NO way off the speaking platform! That was when a small object was seen flying through the air at an amazing speed headed right at the king!!!

At the same time ...

Jonz, Baban Tyros, Aziza and Sanura were in the farmlands and making their way to the damaged western gate. They could see the massive stone lion statues that remained standing, guarding the entrance to the city. Aziza pointed to the sky …

“Look” She said in fear “something is happening … the dark clouds over the city seem to be spinning. Like they are going to turn into a vortex … almost like a tornado!” Aziza suggested.

Baban gasped and adjusted his glasss “That is bad!”

Sanura whispered to Jonz “Is that all wizards are good for … restating the obvious?” Then she said louder “I know how this is going to end … we need to get there faster. So let's all start to run!”

And with that all of them were running full speed to the city!

Gilly To The Rescue

Gilly watched King Leo from the roof of the building right next to the platform. She had to kill two demons before she had the roof to herself, but her stealth allowed her to come up on the first one and stab her dagger deep into the back of it's neck. The second one was a little harder since he found the first demon she killed and was about to sound a warning when she showed herself and did a double flip right to him and sliced across his neck before he could make a sound.

As Gilly watched the king she could tell something was not right, he seemed to be talking too stiffly. She had heard the king talk before and he was eloquent and his voice had a smoothness to it, but now it sounded stiff and as if it was someone else saying the speech but using King Leo's voice. As Gilly continued watching and waiting for that precise moment when she would attack she noticed a slight change in the king. Most wouldn't have noticed it, but it was like a switch was turned on and then he was saying "YOU ARE NEVER TO SURRENDER AS LONG AS YOU CAN RESIST". And with that he killed the two demons next to him. As the king was killing the second demon Gilly knew it was time for her to help him because he wasn't going to be able to defend against the one hundred others who were heading his way.

Gilly did a running leap and flipped through the air as she headed towards the king. When she landed she quickly told him, "Come with me your Majesty if you want to survive." With that Gilly quickly moved the planks and went under the platform and King Leo, having no other choice, followed her.

"We have to move fast because those demons will be on our tails and we have to get out of here and near my friends so we can keep you safe!" Gilly explained as they quickly crawled to the other end of the platform where she knew Jola and Scar would be close by.

Mirri led the Talon at a brisk pace towards Ardalis. The Tigrans who had been with her from the beginning had no troubles keeping up and the miners tried valiantly and because of their vast strength and fitness were able to struggle along. Mirri knew she would not be able to press forward at this pace the whole way back but wanted to get at least two days travel at this speed. That would put them close to a day away from the city and she would let the army rest the night before the moved in.

Skadu and his scouts had already set off at first light and would get there way before the main body. They would be able to travel faster, but would also make sure the way ahead was clear and free of any traps and enemies. Already she was seeing the signs of their trail telling her where to go for the easiest route and that the way was all clear. She was very impressed with the way Skadu had improved her scouts. Besides from those signs she could not tell that anyone had been through this part of the forest. They had been lucky the big Panther had agreed to travel with them.

As they moved she thought about her plan of attack. What she really wanted was to hopefully get word to Scar or whoever was left inside the city and see if they could co ordinate an attack between them. If that was impossible then they would just have to hope that it became another Makla. When they attacked they just had to hope the sight of their queen would inspire the population to rise up and fight with them.

Mirri lost herself in the run, letting herself feel the forest floor underneath her claws and the wind in her nostrils. Her eyes searched for the trail markers while she settled into an easy ground eating pace. She breathed deeply but easily as she pushed herself and those with her. They would make the river by lunch and she hoped to be over it and on their way quickly. The rafts they had made would still be there and she would allow the army to eat in shifts as they crossed. It would be a tough first day but as the queen had said, time was of the essence.

Inside the mind of a harvester

It listened to the small furry lion man make noise, but it had no interest in what the thing said. It wanted to eat. And not the dead flesh it had been consuming back at the garrison castle. It wanted souls, souls that could be converted into more shadow demons.

This strange hunger drove everything it did. Its belly was already bulging from its previous meals, but that did not matter. It was always hungry for souls. As the fighting broke out on the platform, it knew to attack. There were no buggle calls or orders to advance … it knew and all the other harvesters knew it was time to attack. Its bug like eyes filled with a fervor that was unnaturally bright. It moved forward smashing into the defensive lines of the tigrans. The arrows and swords did nothing to it. None of them could sink in deep enough for it to feel at all. Its teeth ripped into its first kill, devouring the catman. Then it found another shooting arrows from a window. It tore the side of the building away and ate the arrow shooter. But there were many more inside the building all now exposed. Its claws extend, it grab and ate all that it could find.
It move forward to the defensive position … its belly was so large now it dragged on the ground. But the hunger was still there. So it choked down more souls … its eyes wild with unnatural intent. More, it always wants more!

New born shadow demons appeared for each tigran consumed. Fully formed and ready to fight, these shadow demons were added to the bug army which grew larger and larger as the six harvesters destroyed the resistance fighters’ defenses.

General Scar

General Scar watched as the massive harvester bugs smashed through the tigran defenses. The bravery and courage of his fighters was amazing. Their spirits had been strengthened by the king’s words. They fought with daring and skill, but nothing they did could slow the creatures. If only he had some catapults or ballista, but there had not been enough time to build them.

To make matters every more bitter … he watched as more demons appears behind the massive harvesters. Each tigran consumed added to his enemy’s army, an enemy that had killed his only true love, Isis. He needed to do something. He was the general. His defensive plans were in ruin and he needed to adapt to the enemy’s tactics.

Only one idea came to mind and it was a painful, bitter one.

“Order th' fighters tae fall back from th' harvesters. Engage wi' ranged weapons only. Slow them doon an' draw them in tae circles an' confuse them. But dinnae engage them directly. Send th' remainin' army tae battle th' shadaw demon infantry. Blow all th' bridges an' pull Capt’n Bones an' Captain Throgram forces into th' battle” Scar ordered. The tigran aid turned to carry out his orders, but Scar grabbed his shoulder and stopped him.

“If anyone has an idea hoo tae stop those fuckin' things … gie those ideas tae me!” Scar barked and then released the tigran to carrying out his orders.

Jola

Inside her pipe, cold, wet and surrounded by the massive harvester bugs, Jola had a big smile on her face. She had just watched the Tigran King kill the two guards.

“You have got to love the timing of these warm bloods” She said to herself. The king’s words still rang in her head. YOU ARE NEVER TO SURRENDER AS LONG AS YOU CAN RESIST! Thoughts of killing the king had disappeared. He had resisted and continued to do so. Now it was Jola turn. But she was not only going to resist … she was going to go one step further. She was going to get REVENGE … she was going to kill every last one of these FUCKING bugs!

She saw Gilly flying through the air like some kind of aerobat. Moments later the king and Gilly disappeared below the staging area. She also heard the harvesters near her move away as they attacked the defensive lines of the tigrans.

It was time, with a contraction of her snake body, the draining pipe blow apart. She coiled her snake body under her and with a sword blow against the wooden side of the staging platform a hole was opened.

“This way!” she called to the King and Gilly. She did not wait for their reply as she turned around and saw a mass of shadow demons running at her. She just waited.

“Come closer … my pretties” Jola hissed at them. Her free hand, not holding her sword, went behind her back …warning the King and Gilly to wait. Then as enough bugs got within range, then Jola whole body LITE UP … in intense white light … Massive arcs of lightning leapt from her body and sword … the bugs around her were annihilate within a second. She heard a sword battle going on and turned back around and saw The King and Gillly engaged in a pitched sword battles under the stage with more bugs!

Baban Tylos is full of answers … NOT

The four of them stood gasping for air between the two massive stone lion statues. They could hear fighting on the other side of the damaged western gate, there was clearly a big battle going on. Who was fighting and who was winning was unknown.

Baban Tylos handed Jonz and Aziza each a small potion vial.

“It is pretty simple really” he said pausing to get more air “… just climb up the statue and pour the content of the vial over the head of the lion and wait.” He told them as he adjusted his glasses.

“Wait … How long?” Aziza asked.

“I have no idea” The Tigran mage answered.

“Shouldn’t we climb down … and run?” Aziza asked.

“Maybe” Baban answered.

“This is not a very good plan … you have no idea what is going to happen do you?” Aziza asked

“No” Baban answered “But Sanura and I will be down here cheering you two on”

“Great” Aziza answered in sarcasm. She glanced over to Jonz and notice he was already climbing his statue. She got on hers and started up.

Aziza

She took several deep breaths, eyed the stone statue before her. She looked where to place her hands and feet and then … she began to climb. Slowly at first … but as she worked herself up between the front forearm and side of the stone lion. As that crack got tighter she was making better progress. There were still beads of sweat on her forehead. It was hard work climbing a smooth statue. She reached high with her right arm, used her claws and she got a good hold. She pulled herself onto the lion's back. The statue was very high and with the damage to the gate … she could look into the city of Ardalis. The battle she heard was between shadow demons and the tigrans … and the demons were using those monstrous harvesters. The tigran stood no chance. She needed to awaken the spirit of the rock and hope for the best. She pushed herself and jump up onto the back of the lion’s mane. Her claws tried to dig in, but she did not have enough of a hold. She slid back down the mane and slammed in the lion’s back. Her shoulder was ripped open from the sharp rock mane … blood soaked her fur. The pain was tremendous. But Aziza got back up.

“Try again” Sanura yelled from the ground.

Aziza looked over to Jonz. He too was having some trouble with his statue’s head. There were just no good hand holds. Aziza heard a tigran scream and then the gluping sound as he was eaten by a harvester.

“Ok … you are NOT beating me!” She said to the statue's mane and moved back for a good long running jump. She did it at full speed … spiriting down the massive stone back of the lion and leapt on to the mane. This time her claws found enough, to hold her. She pulled herself up, found more holds … and finally got to the top of the lion’s head.

She looked over to Jonz and he had also found a way on top of his lion’s head.

She recalled what the Baban had told her “… just climb up the statue and pour the content of the vial over the head of the lion and wait.” She uncorked the bottle and poured the contents on to the lion’s head. The potion flowed out and started to sizzle, small thin stream clouds could be seen. Then nothing. Aziza heard another tigran scream, followed by some awful crunching noises.

“Hurry up … you damn potion!” She said to the wet spot on the statue.

The Statue’s stone lion ears moved, twistied backward!

Then Aziza heard a rumble from the statue’s mouth. "It is a potion … an animate object … the potion can’t hear you … and can't answer you ... you silly flesh thing” The statue said in a gravelly voice.

“Well … pull my whiskers!” Aziza said in shock. She could not believe the potion actually worked. But she could still hear the fighting of the battle, she knew her mission.

“Stone statue … we need your help. I know I’m not the ruler of Ardalis … but could you help us fight those shadow demon creatures on the other side of the wall. It is important” Aziza asked.

“STOP” the statue told her. “And hang on” It said. As the statue shook its head …piles of bird drops flew off in all sorts of directions. “I hate birds!” The statue said when it was done it said "That is better ... could you stop dripping that funny red stuff … you fleshy things have inside you … on my head!” The statue asked.

“Yes” Aziza said as she tore off a piece of clothing and wrapped her shoulder.

“Now … please …we need your help” Aziza asked again.

There was shaking of the lion’s head “Ok … I like crushing things ... want me to crush those harvesters? Can I watch their black liquid spray out?" It asked

"Yes ... hurry" Aziza said.

"promise to wash me off afterwards?” The statue asked.

“Yes … yes … now please hurry!” Aziza agreed frantically. The stone statue got up on its legs and headed for the battle!

Mirri and the army had made very good time but they were exhausted. All day she had pushed them but not overextended them. She had found the ideal pace to run at early on and had kept them at it for long periods, sometimes putting on short bursts of speed when they came to flat open areas and sometimes taking it a little easier in the denser parts. Still they had come a very long way and she was pleased. If they kept this pace up they could even be near Ardalis tomorrow and if all went well attacking soon after.

She walked the perimeter and checked that the guards were all still awake. She would not have been surprised to have found one or two napping after the run today, but all were wide awake and standing their post and she was very pleased. She made sure they had been fed and then proceeded to the Queens tent. She would report and then turn in herself.

Skadu

Skadu and his team were a half a day ahead of the main army and were comfortably sleeping high above the ground in the canopy of the forest. They had traveled fast and light marking the trail, and he expected to arrive outside of Ardalis by just after noon tomorrow. Skadu expected to know before then which way the wind was blowing in the city, but for now he would just be patient. A good hunter knew you left with the plan of hunting an animal, but you let that animal tell you how to kill it. He would wait to see how the demons and bugs showed him how to kill them.

Of course when they did he would kill a lot of them.

Jonz

He looked at the statue and at the vial, from the screams and sounds of battle rising from the city, there was a slaughter going on. Why was he here again? He wasn't getting paid for this, he only had a promise of payment and some pendant that he couldn't use. He shrugged off the feeling and started to climb, his claws and strength made the trip up towards the back easily. He saw that Azisa had some difficulty with gaining a hold on the lion's mane and get on to the head and he had no idea how to get up. Azisa did a running jump, but there wasn't enough space for him to copy that, he needed much more speed and he had a much bigger bulk. "Well fuck a duck."

This clearly called for a use of his dragon parentage, luckily the statue couldn't feel anything...yet. He flexed his claws and sunk one hand's into the stone, it hurt like hell, but it gave him leverage and purchase, with a loud grunt, he drove his other hand's claws into the stone and this allowed him to gain the top, his fingers throbbed, his hands felt like somebody had hit them with a sledgehammer. He drew the vial of potion from his pocket and poured it over the statue's head, he looked out over the battle through the broken gate. The earth moved under him, his first though was an earthquake, then he realized that it was the statue's head moving, "What? Who is that sitting on my head?"

Jonz was at a loss for words, it actually worked..."I am Jonz, a Draconian outcast, I stand with the Tigrans against the hordes of demons who have taken the city. We need your help." There was a low grumble and the head turned towards the battle, "Well then, you did manage to scratch that itch I had for years. I will help." With that the statue rose to its feet and lumbered through the broken gate, smashing aside that which it didn't demolish under its feet. Jonz was still a bit dazed, it actually worked, he wasn't sure how, but it worked.

Deson

They traversed the river and made good time towards Ardalis, it felt strange returning to the city so soon after having had to leave it in such a haste. After watering and rubbing down his horse himself, he hobbled it near to the others and went to the Queen's tent, he was allowed inside and found the Queen and Commander Hirri inside, they were looking at a map of the city, he joined them and looked at the map, he would wait for the rest of the commanders to join them before he could tell them of the plan.

Gilly and King Leo

Gilly heard Jola call to them and picked up the pace. She could hear the shadow demons behind them and knew they would have to fight them but wanted to be closer to the exit, that way her and the king could have more room but the shadow demons would still be packed together. As they were close to the exit Gilly saw Jola hold up her hand to have them stop. Gilly knew this meant Jola was going to use magic, but it also meant the shadow demons would catch up to them, it was now time to turn and fight. Gilly turned to the king and said, "You ready to fight your majesty?"

King Leo replied, "I am ready to kill and regain our city at all costs!" He then winked at Gilly and raised the sword he had taken off the first shadow demon he killed and prepared for battle.

Gilly pulled out her daggers and crouched down ready to attack! As the demons approached Gilly and the king started attacking. The demons were not ready for the attack and they were able to take out the first few with not much of a fight, but once they realized they were being attacked the shadow demons prepared to fight back. Gilly and the king still had the upper hand as they had more of an opening to move around with it only being two of them and the shadow demons. Gilly saw one of the shadow demons coming on the king's right side as he was fighting another demon who was trying to keep him turned so he would be unaware. Gilly ran and flipped over the king's head as she came down with both daggers into the shadow demons neck, one on each side. By the time he had seen her he was too shocked to even defend himself and fell upon impact of the daggers. Gilly and the king continued to fight with their backs to each other so no more demons could try to flank them.

General Scar

General Scar's Command post had been destroyed by a harvester and he was running between the narrow streets to get to Felina and Fawn’s command position. Last he knew it was in the tallest building in the western side of the market quarter. He saw it was still standing and hoped for the best. As he rounded the corner, he saw two tigran guards standing before the door. That was a good sign.

The two guards snapped salutes as they recognized the Scar. “General”

Scar growled “Is Felina an' Fawn still in th' buildin.”

“Yes Sir” They said as Scar hurried past them and charged up the stairs to the roof. He found the two tigrans watching the troops battling the harvesters.

“Thank goodness your alive … we saw your command post get torn apart … we feared the worse.” Felina said giving Scar a hug.

“First ye cannae shaw fear, lassie … Ah tauld ye 'at rememeber!” Scar scolded the beautiful white tiger resistance leader.

Felina took a deep breathe “You tell me when I can … these harvesters are unstoppable. They have wiped out Tia 2nd Talon. We are not sure where she is.” Felina reported

“'at is bad news ... eh'd gie 1000 gold peices if someain cam up wi' an idea hoo tae stop those things!” Scar growled.

“How about we use giant animated stone lion statues to crush them?” Fawn said with a sparkling gleam in her eyes.

“I need real ideas ... nae wishful fantasies” Scar replied in disgust.

“Look over to the western gate!” Fawn glowed.

Scar and Felina turned their heads and could not believe their own eyes. It was like some epic scene out of a fairytale. There were two massive stone lions climbing over the western wall of the city. A top their huge lion heads were two small figures. One Scar recognized. It was Aziza, the young tigran girl sent on the special mission by the queen to the Mage School. She was riding the lion in battle. It was unbelievable. The other looked like a draconian! That was not necessarily good … but much better than a shadow demon!

Tears started to form in Scar eyes ... tears of joy as he knew the battle for the merchant quarter just might be winnable. “General … what is wrong” Felina asked.

“I don’t net hav 1000 gold pieces to give Fawn” He confessed

Aziza and Rockpaw

“How about Stoney? … That is a nice name” Aziza said trying to find a name for the big stone lion statue.

“OH goodness no … people will think I’m on drugs!” Statue graveled back.

“There … squish that group of shadow demons!” Aziza yelled and pointed at a large group of shadow demons. The statue’s stone paw came down with a satisfying thud.

“What about rocky?” The Statue suggested

“Already used … an old fighter’s name … always seems to gets beat up” Aziza said. “There is one of those Harvesters … over there … get it!” Aziza pointed. The lion moved the direction she pointed.

“You know, I have perfectly chiseled out eyes … you don’t need to keep yelling and pointing with your paw.” The statue said.

“Oops … sorry” Aziza said … but that gave her an idea, combining rocky and paw for a name. “Hey, how about Rockpaw? That is a cool sounding name!”

“I like it” Rockpaw said as his stone paw smashed through the head of the harvester … killing it dead.

Jola ... in a tail chase

Jola watched as the King and Gilly fought as one. It was like some complex dance … and yet it looked totally nature. The king took the high blows and Gilly the lower one. They would spin and thrust and bash away the attacking shadow demons. One time Gilly even struck a blow between the King’s legs dangerous close to his … well you know what it was close too.

But even as good as they were … the circle of demons got bigger around them. Jola needed to get them out of there and quickly. She thought of a plan … but it was pretty dangerous for all of them. But it was the only plan she could think of that might work. She moved under the stage, her sword slashed and thrusted at the demons. She killed all that stood before her. Meanwhile … her snake tail traveled quickly along the ground to the King and Gilly.

“Get ready, I’m getting you two out of there!” She yelled and her tail whip around the two, who were still fighting back to back. Then she lifted them off the ground and yanked them back to her. The demons were caught totally by surprise. But they recovered quickly a few sword were aimed at her tail … trying to cut her tail in half. Even the King was thinking of cutting himself loose … until Gilly yelled “OH NO YOU DON’T” and threw a dagger killing the bug trying to cut Jola's tail. The King used his sword to parry the blows aimed at the Naga’s tail as well. A few second later … they were next to Jola.

“Get out NOW!” Jola yelled as her tail carried them outside. She moved out too and cast her shatter spell. Wood and beams and even the ground ripped up as the stage structure was torn apart. The flooring came crashing down on the bugs. All were killed that had been under the stage.

“Now that is how you rescue a King!” Jola told Gilly a bit proud of herself … When the King yelled “HARVESTER …RIGHT BEHIND YOU!”

Jola turn just in time to see the huge thing hovering over her, getting ready to swallow her whole!

Safety Tip ... Don't tell Nas to hurry

He was a monster the size of three elephants in length with a wing span to match. Yet he flew through the air with the speed and grace of a hawk. His head had the typical reptilian shape with frilled bat like ears, two large horns raised up over his eyebrows. Traveling down his back and along the tail was a series of angular fins. His powerful jaws were shaped like a beak with rows of long teeth. His golden eyes shined with his single minded purpose … as he flew as fast as he could. At first glance, an inexperienced person would say he was a red dragon, but his scale color was a mixture of red and bronze and his head features were more like a bronze dragon than a red one.

Where his neck reached his shoulders, the wizard Ardel hung on to the hard scales on the dragon’s neck. His beard and cloak waved in the furious wind caused by the speed of their travel. Ardel glanced at the massive leather wings beating the air with a fury and sense of purpose … each stroke of those wings made them shoot faster through the air. Would they make it? Could they even make a difference once they got there? It was too close to call. They needed to get there as soon as possible.

“Nas … put your back into it … we need to get there … time is running out!” Ardel encouraged the massive red/bronze dragon. Nas dragon head turned back towards the wizard, his golden eyes filled with contempt for the wizard.

“I always thought wizards were smarter than most humans. But you are proving me wrong. Your foolish bumbling, yapping …” The Dragon said in anger.

“Nas be nice … I’m worried too” The massive emerald copper dragon flying next to Nas said.

“I have been flying at this speed for 4 hours now … what more does this wizard want!” Nas growled.

Ardel bent his head “Nas … Sorry … I know you and Venar-surr are trying … here this might help” Suddenly, the Mage’s hands glowed and all the soreness and strain were drawn out of Nas’ body and he felt refreshed.

Venar-surr smiled at the wizard. “So I see you have been practicing Ardel!”

“You are an excellent teacher Venar-surr … not many spells work on dragons” Ardel complimented the emerald copper dragon. She was unique among dragons not only for her coloration, a combination of warm copper with sea-green colors, but her magic was used for healing.

“How are you doing Draxx?” The wizard asked the large alligator lizard man clinging to the back of Venar-surr.

Back