The 'Vargas Girl' Challenge

JRPerrone

The Curator
Ladies, I have a new challenge for you. Photograph yourself as a 'Vargas Girl'. If anyone is unfamiliar with Alberto Vargas, he painted iconic 'pinup girl' images mostly in the World War II era. He was published regularly in Esquire and later in Playboy. His work was often reproduced as "nose art" on WWII aircraft.

I was reminded of him recently when I happened upon one of his late works painted shortly before his death: the album cover for "Candy-O" by The Cars.

It occurred to me that the beautiful and creative Ladies of Lit could do a great job channeling his work.

So the challenge is simple: find a Vargas work you like and shoot your own rendition of it. Post the original and your version together.

Look him up, there are hundreds of images to choose from.

Ooh oh....this screams fun fun...
Scampers away to find a pic

Ladies

As a bomber guy, nose art fan, and vargas collector...

May I offer:

JR hopefully ok...I have several more....

Attachments

• 62a02c8286c160a101495aeffb5a5cba.jpg
    62a02c8286c160a101495aeffb5a5cba.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 4fb82d6a81a1d465c8e0d3132d001362.jpg
    4fb82d6a81a1d465c8e0d3132d001362.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 3
Ladies, I have a new challenge for you. Photograph yourself as a 'Vargas Girl'. If anyone is unfamiliar with Alberto Vargas, he painted iconic 'pinup girl' images mostly in the World War II era. He was published regularly in Esquire and later in Playboy. His work was often reproduced as "nose art" on WWII aircraft.

I was reminded of him recently when I happened upon one of his late works painted shortly before his death: the album cover for "Candy-O" by The Cars.

It occurred to me that the beautiful and creative Ladies of Lit could do a great job channeling his work.

So the challenge is simple: find a Vargas work you like and shoot your own rendition of it. Post the original and your version together.

Great idea JR. Are you going to do a challenge for each of the great pin-up artists? Will there be a Frank Frazetta and Olivia de Berardinis challenge? Or are the ladies free to pick from them or even Vargas' contemporaries like Art Frahn, Enoch Bolles, George Petty IV, Gil Elvgren or Zoë Mozert?

As a fan of pin-up art I can't wait to see the entries.

Cheers

Last edited:
I look forward to seeing the ladies do this. I had fun in a couple boudoir pics that I did once that made me feel "pin-up-ish" so I am sure many will do well with this. :)

A few

My nose collection

Attachments

• Lovely-Ladies-Painted-On-WWII-Fighter-Planes-24-930x1144.jpg
    Lovely-Ladies-Painted-On-WWII-Fighter-Planes-24-930x1144.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 1
  • olsen-cherie.jpg
    olsen-cherie.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 1
  • b24-liberator-diamond-lil-pinup-nose-art.jpg
    b24-liberator-diamond-lil-pinup-nose-art.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 1
this looks like its going to be an interesting challenge cant wait to see what the ladies come up with

Vargas Girl

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_2064.jpg
    IMG_2064.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 22

I love The Cars. Love that Album. Genius thread concept.

Great idea JR. Are you going to do a challenge for each of the great pin-up artists? Will there be a Frank Frazetta and Olivia de Berardinis challenge? Or are the ladies free to pick from them or even Vargas' contemporaries like Art Frahn, Enoch Bolles, George Petty IV, Gil Elvgren or Zoë Mozert?

As a fan of pin-up art I can't wait to see the entries.

Cheers

I hadn't given much thought to other artists, but as long as they are in the same WWII era pinup girl style, I'm good with it.

Icy, you're just what I needed, I needed someone to please....

And I just thought I was wasting all my time.😉

Beautiful entry (or is that entree?) Icy. I knew I could count on you.:kiss:

I think it's an entry.
This was the best I could manage with all the family home.

Nicely done ;) very sexy

Thanks I'm looking forward to trying others.

Omg! This is lovely! :heart:

Thank you SB. I'd like to try some other pics, hopefully I'll get the chance to.

ohhhhhhhhh the memories of sneaking looks at dad's playboys. The Vargas pic always got me hotter then I already was

Back