The official Authors' Hangout Summer Lovin' 2019 Support Thread

When it's ready, publish it to the regular file.

What's the latest anyone has ever submitted a contest story? Is a day or two over, okay?

Three minutes before the deadline and I was editing until then. I don’t know if anyone else has cut it that close but I was hoping there wasn’t a last minute (literally) internet outage.

The midnight cutoff is hard. No exceptions permitted but as long as it’s submitted before then you’re good.

The one you're working on is "No Tan Lines", right? Definitely looking forward to it. And the others you've teased us with.

Considering all the other things that you've mentioned going on in your life this summer, I'm impressed you've got a story even nearly done.

Yes, “No Tan Lines” is the one. That and the Biggles story.

Three minutes before the deadline and I was editing until then. I don’t know if anyone else has cut it that close but I was hoping there wasn’t a last minute (literally) internet outage.

The midnight cutoff is hard. No exceptions permitted but as long as it’s submitted before then you’re good.

I remember that night. Frequent updates, much coffee. It was GREAT content. :D

What's the latest anyone has ever submitted a contest story? Is a day or two over, okay?

There were a story or two that appeared on the Nude Day contest page after the contest was over. I don't know when they were submitted.

My story was rejected with "Is there an underage (under 18) sexual relationship in the story?"

Not by my definition of "sexual relationship," but it isn't my definition that counts.

There were a story or two that appeared on the Nude Day contest page after the contest was over. I don't know when they were submitted.

The usual reason is that they were intended as contest entries and the message in the Notes box was not seen, or corrupted.

Live and learn. I've enjoyed writing it, and I like the story itself (deliberately more than a bit over-the-top, but fun to write) but I think I've learned a lot on what NOT to do on the way. Including.

1) Don't go overboard on plotting every single minor detail. Focus! I wanted to try something a lot longer than my previous stories (1-2 Literotica pages) I threw everything into the plot but the kitchen sink (oops! there it is!) and it shows.

2) Know yourself as a writer. If you typically take 3-5K words to do X, figure that if you want a 12-15K story you'd better not have more than 3 or 4 instances of X in the story. I was shooting for a 30-40K word story, but I put in far too much. So I've got what looks to be an ~100K word novel.

3) Detailed sex scenes that are (hopefully) non-repetitive and non-boring are a LOT of work. Don't put more in than you need. And put them in where they logically fit, and they'll do the most good for the story you're trying to tell.

4) Detailed characterization is a lot of work. Don't add more minor characters than needed, and don't fall in love them enough you feel compelled to flesh them out more. Current running count: two main characters, 6 very detailed recurring minor characters who have their own sub-plots.

5) Start contest entries earlier. Much earlier.

Thanks, Javahead :) You managed to sum up all my mistakes as well for this contest. I totally agree with your list. And I think I can add a few more:

6) Remember to edit before posting :eek:

7) If you don't make this deadline, you're well ahead on next year's contest :D

8) If you already have two stories in the contest, don't bother with one more :rolleyes:

and so on..... Can someone please remind me before next contest, lol ;)

Ada

I considered posting a story a day after the deadline to have more time working on it, but this thread motivated me to hustle.

I'm able to squeeze in a story I had planned after being stuck on it.

Barely made it

I managed to post my story right at the deadline time. I didn't have time to do tags or a clever title but I really wanted to not let this story miss the contest deadline and have it added to my other contest stories that are just hanging out until next year. My heart is beating so fast right now from the rush of finishing. Very fitting since I was writing the big sex scene last.

I considered posting a story a day after the deadline to have more time working on it, but this thread motivated me to hustle.

I'm able to squeeze in a story I had planned after being stuck on it.

Yeah, this thread pushed me to try and get my story out for the contest.

It's started. A gentle breeze blew away two low scores last night on my first time story. It's sitting at a respectable 4.62.

I think Laurel had her feather duster out. :D

Seems like it. My contest story jumped up by 0.04 as well, which is a lot considering the amount of votes it has. Must have lost a lot of 1 and 2 votes, I suppose. Don't track vote counts though so I have no idea how many votes were removed exactly, but enough to have a noticeable impact.

I had 112 votes for about 4 days, then it dropped to 110 with a slight increase in the score.

Well, I got 5,500 words written on my Summer Loving story this morning. Back into the swing of it after the move, but of course my story won’t make the competition. Lol. Going to finish it and get it submitted anyhow.

Well, I got 5,500 words written on my Summer Loving story this morning. Back into the swing of it after the move, but of course my story won’t make the competition. Lol. Going to finish it and get it submitted anyhow.

So... Chloe casually wrote something twice as long as my entire Halloween story so far in a morning?! Okay now I see how you get such incredibly long stories posted.

So... Chloe casually wrote something twice as long as my entire Halloween story so far in a morning?! Okay now I see how you get such incredibly long stories posted.

Lol. Don’t know about casual. I was up really early and writing for about 5 hours. It’s sitting on 50k words altogether right now, but the main story is done. It’s all editing, sex and expanding some outlined scenes so it’s really flying. And a big fishing scene along with some rough weather boating. Shame I couldn’t get it in, but never mind....

Lol. Don’t know about casual. I was up really early and writing for about 5 hours. It’s sitting on 50k words altogether right now, but the main story is done. It’s all editing, sex and expanding some outlined scenes so it’s really flying. And a big fishing scene along with some rough weather boating. Shame I couldn’t get it in, but never mind....

Okay I guess 5 hours is not too bad. Still means you probably write at least twice as fast as me, if not faster, but I already knew I was a slow writer. Still, both impressive and inspiring. Really should make time to read one of your huge stories at some point.

Okay I guess 5 hours is not too bad. Still means you probably write at least twice as fast as me, if not faster, but I already knew I was a slow writer. Still, both impressive and inspiring. Really should make time to read one of your huge stories at some point.

Oh, read this one when I put it up. Florida, a Bertram 61, sports fishing. Doing the research as I go. I wanna big boat now. I do I do I do I do!

Oh, read this one when I put it up. Florida, a Bertram 61, sports fishing. Doing the research as I go. I wanna big boat now. I do I do I do I do!

You obviously haven't gotten as far as boat maintenance in your research yet.

A boat is a hole in the water you have to fill with money.

Hire someone else's!

Back