THE NEW CHYOO (with link)! Also, what features should be part of an updated CHYOO?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably nit picky of me but can we add a gender bender category? I know several people who post on chyoo and like boys turned into girls and vice versa.

Probably nit picky of me but can we add a gender bender category? I know several people who post on chyoo and like boys turned into girls and vice versa.
tag it, that is what i did. and feel free to add to my stories if you want.

I expect lots of people on Chyoo to like lots of different things. Try the tags transsexual or transformation.

I don't think, that it will a good idea to have a free tag system.

I think, it would better to use "predefined" tags.
It would be easier to sort and interpret them.

That would prevent a huge list of tags. (different names for same things, different languages, slang)

Else they would be just keywords.

On the other site there would be the need to define common tags and a way to suggest/vote new tags.

Is there any way for the Literotica people to change the front page message to point to chyoa.com? Or are those passwords gone?

We have not received any response form the current site holders to anything we have sent them (to the best of my knowledge; Friedman has been the one writing to them). That could still and hopefully will change (we still hope to move the site to the current address when it is ready). If you know of a way to reach them (and haven't already told us), please let Friedman know.

I don't think, that it will a good idea to have a free tag system.
I think, it would better to use "predefined" tags.
It would be easier to sort and interpret them.
That would prevent a huge list of tags. (different names for same things, different languages, slang)
Else they would be just keywords.
On the other site there would be the need to define common tags and a way to suggest/vote new tags.

Tags are keywords. Image gallery sites are very popular sites which manage with free tagging well enough. There's no need to catalog a list of every single tag being used; only for people to search for a keyword they want to find and be connected to a story that has that tag. The impetus would be to use tags correctly. Unfortunately, image galleries let anybody tag any entry, because users are typically motivated to be mature about it. It's at least better than the bizarre categories we use now which lack being both thorough and mutually exclusive: Two qualities any list of categories must possess for accuracy and effectiveness.

I'd like to suggest a feature to bring back the subtitles to starting point posts. Was there an issue with them infringing upon the operation of the site?

Also, I'm not sure if there's a problem with the views. I can't be certain if a story's views are merely tallying up the views from each contained thread, which may count views from the same users. Is it more crucial to count views from unique users across the entire story, or every view to every thread of a story?

Last edited:
It seems like you're editing your stories, not your threads. If you click on "Manage Stories" as GreenBanana wrote, and then choose "My Threads", you can click on the edit button next to each thread (but I will also add a direct edit link to each thread in viewing mode).

I don't see any edit buttons next to my (imported) threads. I haven't added any to my own stories on the new site yet, so I haven't been able to check that angle yet.

Again, cheers for such a solid first version of a site rewrite.

-Z.

I don't see any edit buttons next to my (imported) threads.

If you go to "Manage stories," the page is headed "Manage." Beneath that are the tabs "My Stories" "My Threads" and "Waiting For Approval." Under the second, you're given the option to edit on the far right.

However, Zingiber makes a fair point. If not for my thorough examination of the user drop bar, I probably wouldn't know this much. Perhaps shortening this to the generic "Manage" found atop the page to increase curiosity or making individual drop bars for each of these manage sub-sections would eliminate this problem.

Last edited:
I don't see how I can edit a thread. The quotation marks got turned into question marks on every page I've looked at so far. I might ended up end up editing every single page of Cheerleader Destiny.

I've looked, but I don't see a way to edit a thread. What am I missing?

Last edited:
I don't see how I can edit a thread. The quotation marks got turned into question marks on every page I've looked at so far. I might ended up end up editing every single page of Cheerleader Destiny.

I've looked, but I don't see a way to edit a thread. What am I missing?

As far as I can tell, we can only edit the threads we personally wrote, not additions from someone else. Your own threads can be edited from the manage page, but we'll need the crew to update the site and enable editors to edit others' additions to their stories.

So how do we edit our threads in this new CHYOO given that whoever copied it did so in a way that turned quotation marks into question marks? Even the threads I wrote personally seem to be uneditable.

Last edited:
An Edit button on each page is a must. I guess we'll have to wait until they get time to work on that. I'll be patient, I know there's a big list of things left to do.

If you go to "Manage stories," the page is headed "Manage." Beneath that are the tabs "My Stories" "My Threads" and "Waiting For Approval." Under the second, you're given the option to edit on the far right.

However, Zingiber makes a fair point. If not for my thorough examination of the user drop bar, I probably wouldn't know this much. Perhaps shortening this to the generic "Manga" found atop the page to increase curiosity or making individual drop bars for each of these manage sub-sections would eliminate this problem.

Browser compatibility limitation? I'm using Opera 12.16/Win7. Screenshot of the "My Threads" section attached.

Attachments

• chyoo-opera-noedit-2.jpg
    chyoo-opera-noedit-2.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 14
Browser compatibility limitation? I'm using Opera 12.16/Win7. Screenshot of the "My Threads" section attached.

Oh. Found it. Yes. More edit buttons needed elsewhere where my own threads are listed. Took multiple tries to find "Manage Threads", and I thought (as above) it was my browser's fault.

https://chyoa.com/manage/threads

I'm in better shape now, now that I know I need to dig deeper to find the edit links. (Resisting installing a bookmarklet or Greasemonkey script for now).

-Z.

Attachments

• chyoo-manage-mythreads.jpg
    chyoo-manage-mythreads.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 15
Ok the issues I previously reported on the story maps and on the search engine have been solved.

I've just one question though:

- In the story map I should see the recently updated threads in blue, right? What happens if (like everybody else) I've all the story in green? Will blue overwrite green?
If not, we should have something like "mark all this story as read"...or some change to the actual system

Last edited:
Ok the issues I previously reported on the story maps and on the search engine have been solved.

I've just one question though:

- In the story map I should see the recently updated threads in blue, right? What happens if (like everybody else) I've all the story in green? Will blue overwrite green?
If not, we should have something like "mark all this story as read"...or some change to the actual system

As it stands at this time, the color code is thus:
Green = New/Unread
Blue = Unread since last change (not exactly sure where the temporal line is in terms of if/how long before thread goes from blue to green)
White = Read by you and not updated since
Black with location symbol = Last thread you read in this story (not sure how this interacts with Blue and Green)

The issue right now is that everything brought over from the old site is considered "new" because the last site didn't have any history beyond raw access counts. Just run through the stories you care about so the site knows you have read the threads.

Last edited:
Opinion Time (Quote message in reply so we know you are answering)

Should we add a distinct color for "unread" to the story map, where any threads over x days old change to that, in order to make it easier to tell truly new threads apart? If we were to add a separate color, where would you like the line to be drawn in terms of how old a thread is before it changes color?

I'm sorry, but I'm having a little difficulty understanding some of these issues. What problem are people experiencing with the color coding of the story maps? Mine appear to be functioning as the site explains.

As per the "user drop bars," doesn't this forum use a similar device, especially for Search and Thread Tools? Or is the downward arrow to the right of my own username not visible on certain users' views?

I'm also worried about Zingiber's first posted screenshot, because it looks nothing like the "My Threads" section I'm seeing under Firefox. Is a console browser that radically different, or is this a different click route? I've tried clearing my cache.

I'm also wondering why nobody was seeing the Edit buttons all over their My Threads pages. I can't report a similar anomaly, so I'm unsure whether I should expect it or if it's been fixed already.

It can be a bit difficult to guess that you can just click on the text of your story in Edit mode to modify it. It's incredibly liberating to not have the text boxes confining everything, but a bit disarming at the same time. It's so neat to see how it'll end up looking as we edit it.

I can see the Edit buttons on the My Threads page. I'd just really like to have them on the story pages themselves. If I'm reading something and I see a typo, I currently have to hunt that thread through 10 pages of the My Threads section. On the old Chyoo, there was an edit button at the bottom of each story page. That was very convenient.

The real problem is that right now I can't edit threads that are in my story, but I didn't write. I'm not looking forward to going through 100 threads and changing most of the question marks back to quotation marks, but it needs to be done. I'm not much of an editor if I can't edit.

Curly Quotes

The real problem is that right now I can't edit threads that are in my story, but I didn't write. I'm not looking forward to going through 100 threads and changing most of the question marks back to quotation marks, but it needs to be done. I'm not much of an editor if I can't edit.

The quotation mark encoding/corruption (for smart quotes/curly quotes) was also an issue from the Chyoo1 to Chyoo2 migration. It might be that some input or output cycle forgot to specify UTF-8.

-Z.

On the old Chyoo, there was an edit button at the bottom of each story page. That was very convenient.

I've added an edit button at the bottom of each thread. If you're the owner of a story, but didn't create the thread, you can now also make changes.

Just wanted to say thanks to those involved in programming the new site. It looks and feels so much better than the old one, it's made me want to get back to writing! Much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back