The Last American Election ...

dmallord

Humble Hobbit
Donald Trump declares on the campaign trail that if he isn't elected President, it will be the end of American elections. Your thoughts?

We hope so, anyway.

I can't believe he's remained as relevant for as long as he has, or even has any iota of support, especially after Jan 6, 2021- the fact that he's not in prison for some of the things he is responsible for is, in my opinion, exactly what's wrong with the American justice system.

And for making a statement like that, in a democracy as the Founding Fathers have envisioned, he would be disqualified from running right there.

Donald Trump declares on the campaign trail that if he isn't elected President, it will be the end of American elections. Your thoughts?

I think it is a sign of his desperation to win. He'll say anything to scare people. I also think it is a sign of his cognitive decline.

It is also projection. It is what is being said about him so he has to say it about his opposition.

Severe turbulence is guaranteed this year, with what we know is coming. But there may also be a surprise calamity to fuck us up much more. Who is still alive and what parts of government still exist on election day are anybody's guess.

My thoughts are that Trump is a fuckwit who says stupid things to try to look macho. That’s what soft rich boys do.

of course it's intended to scare his base, but it's the old trump playbook... nothing original in it at all, merely a regurgitation of what democrats (and all thinking people) are saying is trump's own endgame for the election.

IF he wins, you can bet your life he's planning on doing everything in his power to prevent another election where he might be unseated. He intends to be the ruler, with his family as its 'royal' family, suppressing any and all voices of opposition till he appears like jong un, with an adoring, unified populace singing his praises to the heavens.

the difference is that he WILL do it, given the chance, whereas President Biden simply would not nor ever intend for such a soiled legacy to leave behind him.

That ship already sailed IMHO. When so much of the population doesn't accept facts as factual in relation to the democratic process, do you really have a proper democracy any longer? 🤷‍♂️

Of course the Orange Jesus wants to be dictator for life. His followers worship him and will probably start a new Christian Nationalist religion with him as their god. I think this would be a fitting end to this country. Good riddance!

That ship already sailed IMHO. When so much of the population doesn't accept facts as factual in relation to the democratic process, do you really have a proper democracy any longer? 🤷‍♂️

I think you may be a bit premature in your pessimism. Simply because in the course of American history, large swaths of our population has held widespread delusions. Slavery, women as sub-citizens, faith healing, cocaine in medicine 😋, McCarthyism.... Etc. Running the gamut from very serious to seriously absurd.

We've survived mass stupidity before.

What is questionable is if we can survive mass apathy.

I think you may be a bit premature in your pessimism. Simply because in the course of American history, large swaths of our population has held widespread delusions. Slavery, women as sub-citizens, faith healing, cocaine in medicine 😋, McCarthyism.... Etc. Running the gamut from very serious to seriously absurd.

We've survived mass stupidity before.

Did we, though?

Did we really survive all that, or have we been going through the motions for decades as if we did, in the interest of keeping everything from collapsing? 🤔

We sure as hell don't seem to have learned from it...

What is questionable is if we can survive mass apathy.

I would say mass apathy would be a telltale sign that a functional democracy didn't actually survive those former delusional breakdowns.

My thoughts are that Trump is a fuckwit who says stupid things to try to look macho. That’s what soft rich boys do.

I find parallels with the corrupt orange traitor threatening POTENTIAL anarchy when things are going bad legally or politically, and how Putin threatens POTENTIALLY using Nukes when Ukraine successfully attacks Russian warships, aircraft, refineries, etc: Mostly empty words from a couple of bullies, (imho), but that doesn’t mean both aren’t dangerous psychopaths with dangerous agendas and a significant number of sycophantic followers.

Decent, intelligent, patriotic, democracy loving individuals have to call both of those bullies’ bluffs, and then remain vigilant and strong when those bullies huff and puff and stomp their feet after their bluffs fail.

👍

🇺🇸

I would say mass apathy would be a telltale sign that a functional democracy didn't actually survive those former delusional breakdowns.

That would be on each of us, individually.

I know I’m voting in every election that presents itself.

👍

🇺🇸

Did we, though?

Did we really survive all that, or have we been going through the motions for decades as if we did, in the interest of keeping everything from collapsing? 🤔

We sure as hell don't seem to have learned from it...

The elements of society which are problematic - ie slavery to racism, KKK to McCarthyism to Christian nationalists - are they ever truly gone? Has there been a time in human history where we haven't had the bigots in society? Do we measure the rise and fall of societies/cultures by the level of their influence?

I think we have made progress on all of those fronts but no we have not eliminated and solved the problems. Will we? Likely eventually. But if we work at it we will continue to make improvements.

In regards, to apathy that is harder to judge considering the unprecedented propaganda aimed at voters to self-disenfranchise. And honestly I think the rise of the modern media industry has created a situation where they are more overwhelming than informative to the average individual.

Regardless I still believe your pessimism is premature.

The elements of society which are problematic - ie slavery to racism, KKK to McCarthyism to Christian nationalists - are they ever truly gone? Has there been a time in human history where we haven't had the bigots in society? Do we measure the rise and fall of societies/cultures by the level of their influence?

I think we have made progress on all of those fronts but no we have not eliminated and solved the problems. Will we? Likely eventually. But if we work at it we will continue to make improvements.

In regards, to apathy that is harder to judge considering the unprecedented propaganda aimed at voters to self-disenfranchise. And honestly I think the rise of the modern media industry has created a situation where they are more overwhelming than informative to the average individual.

Regardless I still believe your pessimism is premature.

The media numbed and normalized in equal parts when it comes to the far right’s racist, Christofascist, misogynistic agenda.

🤬

That ^ still doesn’t stop me voting for candidates that pragmatically bend the arc of society towards peace, freedom, and justice.

My mind, will, and actions are under my own control.

👍

🇺🇸

I think it is a sign of his desperation to win. He'll say anything to scare people. I also think it is a sign of his cognitive decline.

It is also projection. It is what is being said about him so he has to say it about his opposition.

I agree-- definitely a sign of cognitive decline, as if the world just can't function without him. Men in memory care units generally tend to do worse than women due to their postions of privalege, but nacissists really experience the most rapid and dramatic decline.

It might be an election war between two beautiful ladies, who represent their partizan interests, one is Ivanka Trump (it is weird she still uses the family name of her father after being married to a third party), the other Taylor Swift (she has a very strange name in Chinese given by her fans, Meimei, which means Unlucky).

November can not come soon enough for me to be rid of that clown

The man is a master of baiting and his opposition is always eager for hook, line and sinker...

.. the worms hang on every hook, longing for the catch of the day to swallow them up.

PS – The man has a poor record at getting elected and ending "Democracy" (a pernicious evil and a topic for another day/thread). I'm don't think he will be able to pull it off this time either since we are still a Representative Republic.

Back