The Invisible Man

THROBBS

I am Fauve
No, Not John Cena.

Invisible Man

At a certain age one expects to become simply background to a younger set of the opposite sex.

I can momentarily flicker into a substantive form when interacting. For example, when I order a decaf mocha with whip, I will briefly appear to the barista, the fade away.

A sadder bit of my disappearing act is that I am becoming wallpaper or a throw pillow to my wife. More than once she has been leaving a room that I am actively doing something in and turned off the light. The most recent occurrence was when I was showering in the claw foot tub, the one with the clear curtain all around. She came in and rummaged in the wall cabinet next to the foot of that tub. I am washing — making movements and there was certainly the sound of showering and she turns and walks out while switching off the light. All the more pitiful, I know had *I* been on the outside while *she* showered, I’d be LOOKING.

At least I am not tripping on my cloak of invisibility™

Last edited:
I can understand the pain and frustration at home. I think that's why I've connected sexually with other married men who are experiencing somewhat the same thing. An old Carol Burnett skit about the "Invisible Woman" was funny, until I started feeling invisible myself.

I hope you don't fade away. I love your art. It's thought-provoking, entertaining, and often very arousing.

By the way, when I saw your post with the fading typeface, I thought that my eyes were finally giving up the ghost. I'm glad I made myself read it, though.

No, Not John Cena.

Invisible Man

At a certain age one expects to become simply background to a younger set of the opposite sex.

I can momentarily flicker into a substantive form when interacting. For example, when I order a decaf mocha with whip, I will briefly appear to the barista, the fade away.

A sadder bit of my disappearing act is that I am becoming wallpaper or a throw pillow to my wife. More than once she has been leaving a room that I am actively doing something in and turned off the light. The most recent occurrence was when I was showering in the claw foot tub, the one with the clear curtain all around. She came in and rummaged in the wall cabinet next to the foot of that tub. I am washing — making movements and there was certainly the sound of showering and she turns and walks out while switching off the light. All the more pitiful, I know had *I* been on the outside while *she* showered, I’d be LOOKING.

I hate to say anything personal, but is she actively angry at you and acting it out with passive aggression? There’s being oblivious to someone’s presence,which is sad enough, but is she giving you the silent treatment? You don’t need to tell me; I’m just wondering if you know for your own purposes. Just reading your piece makes my stomach turn a bit because I remember very well being on the receiving end of a passive aggressive spouse.

I hate to say anything personal, but is she actively angry at you and acting it out with passive aggression? There’s being oblivious to someone’s presence,which is sad enough, but is she giving you the silent treatment? You don’t need to tell me; I’m just wondering if you know for your own purposes. Just reading your piece makes my stomach turn a bit because I remember very well being on the receiving end of a passive aggressive spouse.
Not really "actively", as far as I know. Though "frequently".

No, Not John Cena.

Invisible Man

You are very important and matter to this world. You are seen and appreciated. I’m very sorry for your situation.

This underscores the need all of us have to be seen, to matter to at least one person in this world. The closer the relationship, the more it causes pain. It's not a real substitute, but even though it's only online in this forum, you are seen. I think this is the main driving force behind a lot of online connections through social media. But the need for the personal touch is still there.

well, not to further darken the mood, but if this is a common thing, then I don't think the wife-turning-off-the-lights part is about you at all. She might developing cognitive issues. It usually starts with small stuff like that and then gets worse from there.

Hey Throobs, I'm new here, still finding my way round and all that, and feel like I should be keeping my head down, but, as someone who's kinda there/been there/will be there again, u okay?

I loved the way u said it, the whole 'said but not said' thing, resonated for me and I... felt for you... Just... Human to human, I want you to be okay...

Reassure me, U okay? If not, reach out...

Of course if I have totally misread then laugh at me uproariously 😂.... Everyone...

Yeah, I'm ok, thank you.

Funny, when I do feel seen (on LIT)
I'm getting a hint of what some folk think.
I feel I am a deviant among deviants. Kinda odd really.

Yeah, I'm ok, thank you.

This is sad. I don’t know where you get these hints but I’m sorry you do. I don’t sense That you’re any more deviant than anyone else here. Plus I’ve seen I’ve seen some material that I click off it immediately. I find it so deviant. I never do that with your work.

Yeah, I'm ok, thank you.

The braid thing seemed odd to me, but sometimes artists have unusual ideas; I took it in that way. to me, you were just drawing what came to you. Maybe I’m missing something.

Back