The Earth Day 2011 Contest Support Thread

Yep, I do it manually. I've been contemplating writing a screen-scrape utility that will do it automatically for a while, but the change to the new URLs threw a monkey wrench in the plan *laugh* The old Lit ID#s were much easier to deal with.

Would still require gathering the Title, Author, & Category for every new story, but it would be far quicker to enter that than everything.

Actually, I could write a screen scraper to do that task as well. Seems a bit overkill, though :p

We'll see. If I ever do get one written, the odds are that I'll track every contest for a couple of years. It would minimize the effort required so much that I could do that, and finally provide a large enough data set that I wouldn't really need to do it for a while after that. Probably until some dramatic change in the contests, the scoring, or one of the other stats.

Please pardon me for the interruption but I find it difficult to believe that someone, anyone, especially a writer who had participated in the Earth Day contest hasn't made such a post.

HAPPY EARTH DAY!

Ralphie: I made a post last night right after talking about my wing-ed visitors. :) Backatya :cattail:

HAPPY EARTH DAY EVERYONE!!!
Respect, protect, and nurture Mother Earth and her children.
:rose:

Oops, sorry. I missed your premature post. I just figured with today being Earth Day, everyone forgot about the celebration.

Not to mention, with all the celebration of the contest winners, no one picked up all these discarded bottles and cans.

I wish I had known there was an Earth Day celebration here, in this thread, but I didn't get the invitation (lol). Anyway, from all this recyclable litter, it appears it was a successful celebration.

I'm just gonna pick up all this trash and turn in the refundable bottles and cans for cash. Maybe I can buy some pasties for the women and condoms for the men for the Nude Day thread? What do you think?

Ralphie *LOL*

It's chilly here but did manage to hug a few trees, smell the flowers, feed the birds, pet the fauna, harmonize with some rocks, chat with the flora and flirt with the nature spirits. I'd really love to tumble on the grass and roll down a green hill. But, ticks are my bane and I'm not giving them another opportunity to attack. Been there, done that. Vile, parasitic, chaos creating, vampires that they are.

Too bad it's too chilly for rain dancing. *pout* I'll have to see if there's any litter to pick up :)

Join the party! It's an open invite :rose:

I'm going outside and pull weeds from my vegetables that I can add to my compost heap. I've already gone to the store in my hybrid car and filled up my reusable shopping bags.

I peed and pooped outside, so as not to waste paper, albeit toilet paper.

Hey, it's okay. I'm a dog.

Besides, my owner will pick up after me.

I peed and pooped outside, so as not to waste paper, albeit toilet paper.

Hey, it's okay. I'm a dog.

Besides, my owner will pick up after me.

I just threw my empty bottle of vodka in the recycle bin. I hope that counts for something.:D At least I know how to celebrate a holiday.;)

Good for you, VoluptuaryManque! Here, there will be manure composting and turning over into the gardens soon.

Ralphie, that's a responsible dog and owner, right there.

When I moved to where I am now, I was so mad and frustrated to learn that they don't recycle. I've always recycled, but here there is no pick-up and the nearest facility would necessitate more gas usage and fuel burning. However, most people burn their garbage, so that's helpful. I looked around for litter while I was out and about and didn't see any! That's a good thing, just odd. I bet if I left and returned to the beach, there would be enough litter to pick up there, sadly.

What does everyone else do?

LOL Babs, there ya go :)

Oh, really? My first thought was that it was Scouries (and that he was mashing it in to stories to post here). :D

I think Ralphie owns a pooper scooper.:D Maybe he will bag it and leave it on someone's doorstep. Oh, that might be a Halloween story.:D

S4-JosephineWall022-TheDyradAndT-1.jpg

Josephine Wall "The Dryad and Tree Spirit"

Congrats to the winners! Sleeplessgurl, LesLumens, and PennLady - enjoy your well deserved moment!

Back