Staten Island bagel store, card shop pushed out to make room for pot shop

BeatMan

Literotica Guru
STATEN ISLAND, N.Y. — Neighborhood staples S&T Bagels and The Card & Gift Shop have been told to move out of their West Brighton storefronts by March 31. Last week, business owners Shamin Frammosa along with brothers Dimesh “Danny” and Nick Patel received notice from the landlords that their storefronts will give way to a New York State-licensed cannabis dispensary.

Their landlord confirmed the emptied storefronts would be a “licensed adult use retail dispensary.”

S&T Bagels has thrived in the location since September 2001. The Patels came to the established spot in 2004. Located respectively at 463 and 465 Forest Ave., the shops are flanked by a dry cleaners and a liquor store.

Frammosa and the Patels explained that for five years the family who owns the strip mall has stalled on renewing their leases.

Frammosa said, “We’ve paid our rent on time, never had any issues. We always treated each other like family. When you have a month-to-month lease, technically, it’s a lease. I’m in business 25 years!”

Danny Patel also shared his outrage. He said, “And what do you do with your inventory? Everything’s in storage for the holidays. They’re giving us only two months. After being here all these years — getting your rent in on time, not missing a single month’s rent. They never even gave us an opportunity [to negotiate].”

He added, “We’ve been asking for five years. But you still raise the rent according to the old lease? Some people say to me, ‘Why didn’t you get a lawyer?’ You hoped that the family who owns the property would do the right thing. We’ve been here a long time.”

https://www.silive.com/dining/2024/...Shamin,licensed adult use retail dispensary.”

Yeah this is a real crime unlike the landlords that push people out of their apartments every day

This is just poor business acumen andlemme tell ya why.
After smoking weed, most crave sustenance.

What I want to know is, how popular are the new tenants likely to be in by far the reddest, most law-and-order oriented part of NYC?

People still buy cards in card shops?

You'll be whining about the demise of Blockbuster video rentals next.

Landlords get to redevelop their buildings and land. It's what they do. And when they do, existing tenants no matter how good can be displaced. Went through a deal like that for a business I was chairman of. And, at the end of the day, no matter our 20 year track record including on-time rents, we got 60 days to pack up our shit and vacate his building. What do you do? You make it your #1 priority to find a place to land. We did, and it is actually better. The company is still there and our old office is a condo now.

Maybe the licensed cannabis dispensary will be paying higher rents than the bagel shop. So if the bakery had offered the same the owner wouldn't be bothered about the stress of changing tenants. Just because 'notice to quit' is served doesn't mean it's final.

What I want to know is, how popular are the new tenants likely to be in by far the reddest, most law-and-order oriented part of NYC?

Old people love pot (it soothes all their aches and pains) and Staten Island is full of old folks.

Back