Stale News - States Sue Meta Over Kids Mental Health

ll74

Your Best Friend
This lawsuit flew under the radar for me. (Didn't see another thread on this either)

Dozens of states sue Meta over youth mental health crisis

Are we at a tipping point for social media?

The lawsuit, filed in a California federal court, argues that Meta unlawfully misled the public about the harms its products, like Facebook and Instagram, could impose on children and teens. By implementing a business model meant to maximize time on the platform, Meta contributed to a youth mental health crisis, the complaint says

My replies up until this one are literally mirroring your own idiotic posts.

Hope this helps 👍🏼
So you don't have a comment on the lawsuit and somehow that's a reflection on me.

Got it đź‘Ť

So you don't have a comment on the lawsuit and somehow that's a reflection on me.

Got it đź‘Ť
No, me holding a mirror up to your hypocritical ass is reflecting on you - that's how mirrors work.

Heavy day drinker it is! 🍻

Fantastic. You obviously have many insightful things to offer on this topic. Great to have your perspective. đź‘Ť
Don't look 👀 now but you haven't added anything since your copy pasta. 🤨

This lawsuit flew under the radar for me. (Didn't see another thread on this either)

Dozens of states sue Meta over youth mental health crisis

Are we at a tipping point for social media?
Is Meta a youth mental health problem or a parental supervision problem?

I don't ask that lightly. It would seem to me that parents that want to control what their children are taught in school but want Meta to be censored in some manner are behaving in a contradictory manner. And that brings up the question as to whether these legal actions are a result of some sort of grass roots movement or merely some activists exercising some legal muscle?

I haven't read through the filing yet, and I have no particular fondness for FB/Meta, but on the surface this gives me a queasy feeling and that it's a bad idea.

Is Meta a youth mental health problem or a parental supervision problem?

I don't ask that lightly. It would seem to me that parents that want to control what their children are taught in school but want Meta to be censored in some manner are behaving in a contradictory manner. And that brings up the question as to whether these legal actions are a result of some sort of grass roots movement or merely some activists exercising some legal muscle?

I haven't read through the filing yet, and I have no particular fondness for FB/Meta, but on the surface this gives me a queasy feeling and that it's a bad idea.
The question at the heart of the lawsuit is whether Meta had information that their algorithms actually focused on things they had data on that were psychologically damaging to children. And that they ignored such findings.

That is why I'm curious whether this will be the end of social media in its current iteration

The question at the heart of the lawsuit is whether Meta had information that their algorithms actually focused on things they had data on that were psychologically damaging to children. And that they ignored such findings.

That is why I'm curious whether this will be the end of social media in its current iteration
Quite frankly I believe that their algorithms are doing just that. Young minds are malleable minds and like any other 'brand' marketing habits instantiated at an early age tend to last a lifetime. The profile that the company is following is no different than any other consumer branding, just a lot more sophisticated. "Winston tastes good like a cigarette should."

However I still ask the question, "Is this a mental health problem or a parental supervision problem?"

Quite frankly I believe that their algorithms are doing just that. Young minds are malleable minds and like any other 'brand' marketing habits instantiated at an early age tend to last a lifetime. The profile that the company is following is no different than any other consumer branding, just a lot more sophisticated. "Winston tastes good like a cigarette should."

However I still ask the question, "Is this a mental health problem or a parental supervision problem?"
If a company pursues an approach that they know is detrimental to social health, are they responsible?

If a company pursues an approach that they know is detrimental to social health, are they responsible?
Unlike the cigarette slogan example I cited, which could be proven to be detrimental to health AND buried by the manufacturers, this is going to be a significantly harder case to prove. To compound the problem is the fact that Meta (and other similar media) can claim 'proprietary information' re. the algorithms, contrasted to tobacco which any lab could obtain and test.

Overall I see social media as a net negative. But like any other tool it's all in how it's used, or abused. Overall I think that they'll respond to a lack of eyeballs faster than legal actions (Bud Light, Target). And that puts the Onus right back on the people writing the checks for the access to the media, the parents. And I can envision how technology can allow a parent to restrict access.

Unlike the cigarette slogan example I cited, which could be proven to be detrimental to health AND buried by the manufacturers, this is going to be a significantly harder case to prove. To compound the problem is the fact that Meta (and other similar media) can claim 'proprietary information' re. the algorithms, contrasted to tobacco which any lab could obtain and test.

Overall I see social media as a net negative. But like any other tool it's all in how it's used, or abused. Overall I think that they'll respond to a lack of eyeballs faster than legal actions (Bud Light, Target). And that puts the Onus right back on the people writing the checks for the access to the media, the parents. And I can envision how technology can allow a parent to restrict access.
I appreciate the thoughtful perspective.

I don't disagree. I know this isn't a tobacco thing but it is related.

Back