so, let's take a survey.

rae121452

Literotica Guru
Joined
Jul 18, 2017
Posts
6,727
are you one of the people who believes there will be pie in the sky when you die? do you believe there is an afterlife? do you believe you might come back as a cockroach because you're a shitty person? do you believe there will be a rapture and you'll be sucked up into the sky? do you even give a shit?
 
No pie in the sky, but affiliation with a mainstream Christian church is a good way to keep order and a social consciousness--and organized inclusion in doing charity work--in one's life. So, as long as it's dust to dust anyway, no reason not to be an "environmental" Christian in a non-crazy church and associate with good people who will roll their eyes with you at the reading of a lot of passages you find in the Bible.
 
are you one of the people who believes there will be pie in the sky when you die? do you believe there is an afterlife? do you believe you might come back as a cockroach because you're a shitty person? do you believe there will be a rapture and you'll be sucked up into the sky? do you even give a shit?

No.

No. Well at least not in any of the current conceptualizations.

That's actually not much of a punishment. Cockroaches don't live that long.

No. Definitely not.

At least once a day. Even if I wouldn't phrase it as such.

However on a philosophical level, one should give a shit. Not about religion and dogma however.
 
Baptized Methodist. I tend to believe the human soul gets reused. I'm pretty sure I've seen it happen, of course, I couldn't prove it. It's more a certain feeling that someone I cared deeply for ended up in the body of a child, whom I also care deeply for. The death and birth occurred within days of each other. There are just too many similarities to dismiss it.

As for my soul, I don't know. I don't think you remember previous lives, at least while conscious. Maybe the odd deja vous, or the tickle on the back of the neck, or dream, carry over.


Hell, I can't remember yesterday.
 
To whatever extent our existence is not identical with our bodies, it is nevertheless metaphysically dependent on our bodies. When our bodies return to the Earth, we cease to exist.
 
I believe in a higher power and an afterlife - I’ll leave it at that. 🌷Kant
 
Baptized Methodist. I tend to believe the human soul gets reused. I'm pretty sure I've seen it happen, of course, I couldn't prove it. It's more a certain feeling that someone I cared deeply for ended up in the body of a child, whom I also care deeply for. The death and birth occurred within days of each other. There are just too many similarities to dismiss it.

As for my soul, I don't know. I don't think you remember previous lives, at least while conscious. Maybe the odd deja vous, or the tickle on the back of the neck, or dream, carry over.


Hell, I can't remember yesterday.

That does make a certain amount of sense. One alternative is that there is some kind of giant factory churning out thousands of souls every day and there are billions of souls in Heaven, Hell, Purgatory or some other place. Another alternative is that there is no such thing as a soul and, once you die, that is the end of the line. I have a hard time accepting the last one, but I don't claim to actually know.

As for recycling of souls, there is some evidence of it, although very little. Did you ever hear of Bridey Murphy?
 
No pie in the sky, but affiliation with a mainstream Christian church is a good way to keep order and a social consciousness--and organized inclusion in doing charity work--in one's life. So, as long as it's dust to dust anyway, no reason not to be an "environmental" Christian in a non-crazy church and associate with good people who will roll their eyes with you at the reading of a lot of passages you find in the Bible.

You should join an "environmental Christian" group that atones for their sins by making sacrifices to their Earth God, Gaya, and volunteer your body as an offering.

https://i.imgur.com/DeaZ5f8.jpg
 
You should join an "environmental Christian" group that atones for their sins by making sacrifices to their Earth God, Gaya, and volunteer your body as an offering.

Will it include someone obsessed with me, like you seem to be? Triggered much?
 
I have no imaginary friends.
No Tooth Fairy, Santa or any flavour of God.
I'm on this ride alone.
 
The 12 Steps told me I needed a higher power. Can't do that, sorry.

It was better to just stop drinking and skip the nursery rhymes.
 
Blaise Pascal was/is right.


And he was/is a shitload smarter than this lot . . . .
 
I believe there's something more to us that survives a physical death, but I haven't really sussed out the rest of it. Whatever happens will be an adventure of the unknown, and as I get older I'm more and more okay with that.
 
I believe in all possibilities but order my life not one wit to placate any one of them.



The way to get along with each other is adhering to
the three basic rules of what is misdefined as 'Natural Rights.'
 
Will it include someone obsessed with me, like you seem to be? Triggered much?

Pilot; the only one obsessed with you is, well, you...


You will end of in the Chinese Hell of the ignorantly opinionated.
 
The closest thing I'm aware of to what I believe is Pantheism. So, I guess I'm a Pantheist. I do believe in reincarnation but the entity that is currently what I identify as "me" will not come back. Fragments of my soul will mix with other fragments and form something new. If that happens to be a cockroach, so be it. I also think Karma is bullshit.
 
There better damn well be a monster with spaghetti. I'm gonna be so hungry.
 
There is a popular quote from a classical Greek philosopher, 400 BC, that has been translated into modern English.

Illnesses do not come upon us out of the blue. They are developed from small daily sins against nature. When enough sins have accumulated, illnesses will suddenly appear. ~Hippocrates

The word sin was chosen as the translation for "culpa". Perhaps you've heard the phrase mea culpa, which means my fault, or the the world culpability? Today, we know what the word sin means because it has been well defined.

Now, think about how you would go about explaining good choices vs bad choices to ignorant people 2500 years ago who had no formal concept of good vs evil. Would you maybe explain it to them in a metaphor that anthropomorphizes good vs evil? Angels vs demons.

Plato would say "No", he was not a fan of using art to teach the truth because he thought art was just a reflection of truth. Unfortunately, not everyone is as smart as Plato.

Aristotle would say "Yes". He loved art, and thought it helped people internalize understanding.


Anyways, my point is, God is a metaphor for the "one type of substance" (Descartes) that everything is made up of. It is the word we use instead of saying "the universal axiom that guides my logic". Religion, especially Christianity, is what helped evolve humans into logical thinkers.

I believe Buddhism, Hinduism, Christianity, Jainism, Taoism, come to the same logical conclusion that we have simplified into one word, God.
 
Last edited:
Now, let me attempt to prove that the concept of Karma is the same concept as good vs evil. I'm going to rephrase this Hippocrates quote:


Illnesses do not come upon us out of the blue. They are developed from small daily sins against nature. When enough sins have accumulated, illnesses will suddenly appear. ~Hippocrates

Bad Karma does not come upon us out of the blue. Bad Karma is developed from bad choices. When bad choices have been made, bad karma will appear.

Good Karma does not come upon us out of the blue. Good Karma is developed from good choices. When good choices have been made, good karma will appear.


Grok?
 
Back
Top