Slave Reparations.

HOW MUCH DO THEY GET?

  • 40 ACRES AND A MULE.

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • SQUEEZE WHITEY FOR EVERY NICKLE HE HAS.

    Votes: 1 6.7%
  • 690,000 MEN DIED ENDING SLAVERY, ISNT THAT ENOUGH?

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • SLAVERY ENDED 144 YEARS AGO.

    Votes: 14 93.3%

  • Total voters
    15
This comes from ignorance, there was civilization in Africa. The first export from Africa was books, not people.

The state of Africa today is due largely to colonialism.

While I'm not American Black , I find some of the comments in this thread pretty offensive.

What a crock.

Colonialism didnt occur until late in the 19th Century, and it happened because the whole continent was Balkanized with pissant tribes unable to unify and present a common defense.
 
This comes from ignorance, there was civilization in Africa. The first export from Africa was books, not people.

The state of Africa today is due largely to colonialism.

While I'm not American Black , I find some of the comments in this thread pretty offensive.

I agree that there was at least one famous civilization inl Africa - Egypt. There were others too, of course, but that is the most famous one. However, that was from Northern Africa. The slaves in America were abducted from sub-Sahara Africa. I don't know just how civilized the people there were at the time.

There was colonialism on a small scale as early as the Fifteenth Century, mostly by Spain and Portugal. Otherwise JBJ's comment is essentially correct.

I'm also not an African Black, and I also find some of the comments on this thread to be quite offensive. However, I take even more offense at the notion that I am somehow financially responsible for something that was done over 140 years ago and did not involve any of my ancestors.
 
BOX

I read what I can find about Africa. Captain Richard Burton is a good source, as are people like Colin Turnbull. There is a tremendous amount of bullshit about the history of Africa.

I mean, the tribal animosities remain lethal or almost lethal in many places. South Africa was empty space until the Dutch and the Zulus arrived there about the same time.

We play the same game here in Florida. The Seminoles arrived AFTER the Spanish and British and AFTER the Americans came into the area. Escaped slaves have a better claim than the Seminoles. But we pretend different and kiss their asses.
 
The state of Africa today is due largely to colonialism.

The state of Africa today is due largely to it's own people. 95% of African colonialisim ended in the late 40's-early 50's...WWII killed it. The people of Africa have had self-rule since then...those that weren't enslaved by dictators, communists and just plain nut cases. Billions of dollars, foodstuffs, technical assistance, etc. has been poured into that continent with no appreciable gain. Rock concerts have raised millions more dollars for African relief. All gone. :(
 
The state of Africa today is due largely to it's own people. 95% of African colonialisim ended in the late 40's-early 50's...WWII killed it. The people of Africa have had self-rule since then...those that weren't enslaved by dictators, communists and just plain nut cases. Billions of dollars, foodstuffs, technical assistance, etc. has been poured into that continent with no appreciable gain. Rock concerts have raised millions more dollars for African relief. All gone. :(

I agree with the thrust of what you are saying, but your figure is much too high. Most of the French colonies did not become independent until the early Sixties.
 
egads

I could give a rat's ass about the apology or reparations. I wasn't a slave and I don't know anyone TODAY who is. I am not AFRICAN American...I am black or just American. I do not understand the need for reparations to the Americans in this country TODAY. I never have.

Maybe I am just an ass but seriously, slavery ended forever ago and blaming the entire country for something that ended in 1863 is just completely insane. Move on all ready.

Personally if you didn't feel the sting of the lash yourself, you have NO call to demand reparations.
 
I agree with the thrust of what you are saying, but your figure is much too high. Most of the French colonies did not become independent until the early Sixties.

I stand corrected on the time line, but also by my original statement. ;) It's like a 40+ year old man or woman blaming their parents and everyone else because they're a failure in life.
 
I could give a rat's ass about the apology or reparations. I wasn't a slave and I don't know anyone TODAY who is. I am not AFRICAN American...I am black or just American. I do not understand the need for reparations to the Americans in this country TODAY. I never have.

Maybe I am just an ass but seriously, slavery ended forever ago and blaming the entire country for something that ended in 1863 is just completely insane. Move on all ready.

Personally if you didn't feel the sting of the lash yourself, you have NO call to demand reparations.
Thanks Luna, you make more sense than the rest of us put together! :D
 
Someone had to say it...might as well be me...:rose:

I agree with you, I just like the way you worded it :D
Especially the part about just being an American instead of a hyphenated American :D
I have always liked you but that was great :D
 
I could give a rat's ass about the apology or reparations. I wasn't a slave and I don't know anyone TODAY who is. I am not AFRICAN American...I am black or just American. I do not understand the need for reparations to the Americans in this country TODAY. I never have.

Maybe I am just an ass but seriously, slavery ended forever ago and blaming the entire country for something that ended in 1863 is just completely insane. Move on all ready.

Personally if you didn't feel the sting of the lash yourself, you have NO call to demand reparations.

I very strongly agree with you. I really hate being called a European and I don't like being called a European-American either. I am an American. If you want to, you can say that I am mostly of English and Irish descent, and you would be correct, but I just think of myself as an American purveyor of smut. :cool: And an old fart, and a grandfather and some other things like that. :cool:
 
I agree with you, I just like the way you worded it :D
Especially the part about just being an American instead of a hyphenated American :D
I have always liked you but that was great :D

*takes a bow and blows you kisses*

I very strongly agree with you. I really hate being called a European and I don't like being called a European-American either. I am an American. If you want to, you can say that I am mostly of English and Irish descent, and you would be correct, but I just think of myself as an American purveyor of smut. :cool: And an old fart, and a grandfather and some other things like that. :cool:


I never understood the African part. I am: German, Russian, Irish, French, Black and Blackfoot Indian....

Only 1/7th of me came by way of Africa. If you were born in the US of A then you are an American. That's it.
 
Someone had to say it...might as well be me...:rose:

You go,girl! :rose: Very well put, Luna. All this hyphenated American business does is put us into categories and groups politicians can prey upon, cater to and play off against one another in their endless quests for votes and power.

Like Ben Franklin said: "We'll hang together or we'll hang separately" or something like that. :D
 
I say ...OK!

And I will have my hand out too.

I have three ancestors that were Jacobites and were sold into slavery in the colonies....NOT indentured servitude like many other of my ancestors....but slavery.


Black people from Africa were not the only victims of slavery in the New World.


*calculating interest*
 
Like Ben Franklin said: "We'll hang together or we'll hang separately" or something like that. :D

Dang it...I feel like that should be in my siggy...:rose:

I say ...OK!

And I will have my hand out too.

I have three ancestors that were Jacobites and were sold into slavery in the colonies....NOT indentured servitude like many other of my ancestors....but slavery.


Black people from Africa were not the only victims of slavery in the New World.


*calculating interest*

*snort*

greedy!!!
 
I say ...OK!

And I will have my hand out too.

I have three ancestors that were Jacobites and were sold into slavery in the colonies....NOT indentured servitude like many other of my ancestors....but slavery.


Black people from Africa were not the only victims of slavery in the New World.


*calculating interest*

This is true, and not all slave owners were white. Although most of them were.
 
This is true, and not all slave owners were white. Although most of them were.


Most of them in the United States were white, yes. Most of the slave owners in Africa were black, of course. (And I dare say still are.)
 
Oh Shit...

We done got a ******* slave for a president...Now it's got a be at least two ******* mules...Get ******* over it...Sorry about the ********s but the Horns lost the ******* WCS! ******* umpires!
 
Back
Top