Should users who post nothing but political propaganda from debunked sources be banned?

RoryN

You're screwed.
1. Many other platforms are already moderating said content.

2. It's not "speech", per se; it's the equivalent of a bot / AI generating spam posts. The users who post from these sources consistently have no meaningful or intelligent commentary to add, other than hate speech or more propaganda.

3. It would be well within Literotica's current rules to moderate such content.

What do you think? And will the cries of "censorship!" from the propagandists give more credence to the idea? 🤔 (Spoiler alert: yes.)

1. Many other platforms are already moderating said content.

2. It's not "speech", per se; it's the equivalent of a bot / AI generating spam posts. The users who post from these sources consistently have no meaningful or intelligent commentary to add, other than hate speech or more propaganda.

3. It would be well within Literotica's current rules to moderate such content.

What do you think? And will the cries of "censorship!" from the propagandists give more credence to the idea? 🤔 (Spoiler alert: yes.)
It’s a good debate to have.

Bots should be banned.

But those people who post contentious stuff including debunked claims should be challenged or reported.

The only way you get through disinformation is providing evidence and being able to debate adequately.

Some you will never get through to, opinions are too entrenched.

That’s life.

The only way you get through disinformation is providing evidence and being able to debate adequately.
Unfortunately, it's in the disinformation shovers' game book to tie up people's time and effort by challenging them to provide evidence debunking the disinformationers' lies and then just ignore the evidence mustered. I rarely play that game and don't apologize for not doing so.

Unfortunately, it's in the disinformation shovers' game book to tie up people's time and effort by challenging them to provide evidence debunking the disinformationers' lies and then just ignore the evidence mustered.

Yup - that's "sealioning". And the resulting responses / shitposting help to turn the affected forum into a garbage heap.

I'd nip it in the bud if I ran a forum, as it is cancerous to one. But, thank god, I do not.

You can't really do that. Laurel has kept this board un-moderated, but I'm not entirely sure why. She takes some action, but usually only after multiple violations. If you see an edit or caution here, she did it.

How do you ban an entire 'media' source without getting into potential legal issues? Lit doesn't have the resources to defend against an action by something like Breitbart.

Some image hosts are excluded and their URLs are replaced by ****, but I'm not even sure who requests that. Possible the host does to prevent hotlinking. I've asked for a few to be excluded and there has been no action. She doesn't really communicate well with any of the Mods.

Theoretically, I'd like to see a chart like those on the various media bias sites. If a source falls within a certain medium range, it would be allowed. Those to either extreme end would not.

The better action would be to be more strict towards those members who have been excluded multiple times. We call can spot the BBs relatively easily within a few posts. They should be gone within 10 or 15 posts. Sometime they are, but others are allowed to remain for hundreds of posts.

And the resulting responses
And THAT is on the responders. If no one replied to them, the problem would go away much quicker.

I don't respond to any of them, but there are some who make a habit of derailing threads by quoting and replying in depth. THAT needs to stop.

Some image hosts are excluded and their URLs are replaced by ****, but I'm not even sure who requests that.

^^^ This was one of the things I was thinking about. Clearly some sources get the smack-down already here.

Theoretically, I'd like to see a chart like those on the various media bias sites. If a source falls within a certain medium range, it would be allowed. Those to either extreme end would not.

^^^ And this.

You can't really do that. Laurel has kept this board un-moderated,
Largely unmoderated, but not entirely. Posters get disappeared from here more frequently than most board here, I think. That's moderation.

Strong 1st amendment proponent here and I believe many of my friends on the right would say that they are too. What I find that they get wrong is that there are consequences for free speech and that the limitations are placed on the government to censor rather than private businesses and institutions. The likes of Hank Williams Jr to Donald Trump continually misunderstand this. Here, on Lit, I believe that most good members try to tell the truth and are willing to be corrected. It is not anecdotal to say that there are a few members representing the RW who openly engage in posting misinformation and starting multiple alts and/or being foreign agents. More troubling is that very few true conservatives question or oppose these fraudulent members. These few members have managed to weaponize the 1st amendment. Lit, apparently, has not been enforcing its TOS against these members leaving others to do so themselves. That’s my current view of this forum.

I don't support this. I would prefer a better system to ban users that are banned for violating the site's rules.

I think a lot of these repeat offenders are here to bombard us with dis/misinformation. Why? I think it's to get the garbage into our minds; not necessarily to convince us but to question what we know to be real. It's also to wear us out. There's no convincing them of shit and we'll burn out in the attempt. Yes. Ban them

I have seen many great topics brought up with links only to read that the links suck or a great big LOL, only because they go against the writers ideals!

Dont be so arrogant in your assertions, and

Define propaganda and debunked, two words that mean nothing and everything depending on your POV

its sorta like one mans freedom fighter is another mans terrorist

I think a lot of these repeat offenders are here to bombard us with dis/misinformation. Why? I think it's to get the garbage into our minds; not necessarily to convince us but to question what we know to be real. It's also to wear us out. There's no convincing them of shit and we'll burn out in the attempt. Yes. Ban them
What is disinformation? At one time saying Covid came from Chinese labs, was disinformation, it wasnt. At one time saying we need to stay 6 feet apart was disinformation, it wasnt. At one time saying the Biden laptop was real was disinformation, and it wasnt. The list is endless

Dont be so holier then thou that you know what disinformation is or isnt.

Sigh.
As usual, the cogent, well thought out responses, as well as reasoned disagreements, are coming from the one side NOT actively trying to make this site and the PB board a sh!thole.

What is disinformation? At one time saying Covid came from Chinese labs, was disinformation, it wasnt. At one time saying we need to stay 6 feet apart was disinformation, it wasnt. At one time saying the Biden laptop was real was disinformation, and it wasnt. The list is endless

It's all intent. Misinformation can travel by well-meaning people. Disinformation is driven by a bad agenda. Which one are you? The items you mention are not good examples.

I have seen many great topics brought up with links only to read that the links suck or a great big LOL, only because they go against the writers ideals!

Link to examples of these "great topics", please.

🙂

Largely unmoderated, but not entirely. Posters get disappeared from here more frequently than most board here, I think. That's moderation.
No, that's Administration.

Moderation is what we do on the other boards, remove and edit posts, advise of rules, guide members and so on.

Seems people have to do a lot to be banned from lit, and there are far worse posters in other parts of the site. I wouldn't support excluding people, but really do wonder about the mental health of those who continually post memes about things that offend them. It must be exhausting to be that angry all the time.

Politics has always been a rough business, and this forum has a lot of good information. And it makes a change from reading the ban tantrums in the chat section, and picking the serial killer of the week from the bdsm personals.

I cant wait for the WOKE JOKES to pretend to answer!

real disinformation! will you ban google?

Back