Seldom Used Words (Cont'd)

Thank you, Handley and Carlus, for citing the difference in nark and narc. Of course, I was much more familiar with the narc form and found nark to be an oddity. Nice to know nark is the older of the two words.

Carlus, yes, nard or spikenard. It is supposed to be the ointment that Mary Magdalene used to anoint Jesus. A spiritual man from Ashland, Oregon, named James Twyman, introduced a modern form of spikenard to his group, of which I was one, and we all wore the oil for several weeks to see if it aided enlightenment. It has a very strong scent and to this day, it does make me feel more spiritual, if not, enlightened.

spikenard - noun 1.a. a fragrant ointment of the ancients b. an East Indian aromatic plant of the valerian family from which the above is believed to have been derived 2. an American herb of the ginseng family with aromatic root and panicled umbels

Second post of the day. I have some time to myself for a change;

naprapathy - noun a therapeutic system of treatment by manipulation and without use of drugs

More a question than a word:

I recently encountered, "leave you to your own devises." Since I'm more familiar with the spelling "devices" in that idiom, I did a quick google search for each spelling:

de·vice
noun \di-ˈvīs\

: an object, machine, or piece of equipment that has been made for some special purpose

: a weapon that explodes

: something that is done in order to achieve a particular effect

Full Definition of DEVICE
1: something devised or contrived: as
a (1): plan, procedure, technique
a (2): a scheme to deceive : stratagem, trick
b: something fanciful, elaborate, or intricate in design
c: something (as a figure of speech) in a literary work designed to achieve a particular artistic effect
d: archaic : masque, spectacle
e: a conventional stage practice or means (as a stage whisper) used to achieve a particular dramatic effect
f : a piece of equipment or a mechanism designed to serve a special purpose or perform a special function <an electronic device>
2: desire, inclination <left to my own devices>
3: an emblematic design used especially as a heraldic bearing

Examples of DEVICE

The store sells TVs, VCRs, and other electronic devices.
agreeing to dismantle all nuclear devices
a useful mnemonic device for remembering the names of the planets
The company's method of tracking expenses is just a device to make it seem more profitable.

Origin of DEVICE
Middle English devis, devise, from Anglo-French, division, plan, from deviser to divide, regulate, tell — more at devise
First Known Use: 14th century

de·vise
transitive verb \di-ˈvīz\

: to invent or plan (something that is difficult or complicated)
de·vised de·vis·ing

Full Definition of DEVISE
1a: to form in the mind by new combinations or applications of ideas or principles : invent <devise a new strategy>
b: archaic : conceive, imagine
c: to plan to obtain or bring about : plot <devise one's death>
2: to give (real estate) by will — compare bequeath
— de·vis·able adjective
— de·vis·er noun

Examples of DEVISE

They have devised a new method for converting sunlight into electricity.
<she quickly devised a new scheme when the first one failed>

Origin of DEVISE
Middle English, from Anglo-French deviser, diviser, to divide, distinguish, invent, from Vulgar Latin *divisare, frequentative of Latin dividere to divide
First Known Use: 13th century

The second, "Devise," seems to me a better fit for the meaning of the idiom, but every reference I found with a quick search gives the first spelling, "Device."

I realize there may be some differences in English vs American spellings involved, but the dictionaries online treat them as two different words.

So which is correct? Is this a case of "Americanized Spelling" usurping the correct word in an idiom or do the various references just have the wrong spelling?

Last edited:
Harold, that is a very good question and I have no idea which is correct. We shall have to leave this to the more informed posters to answer.

Back to "nappy" for a moment, and the definition regarding black frizzy hair is absent from my dictionary. Maybe, it is in Og's Slang book. It probably came from the word nap, used with certain kinds of fabrics.

nappy(1) - noun [obsolete nappy, adj (foaming)] chiefly Scot: LIQUOR; specif: ALE

nappy(2) - noun a shallow open serving dish

More a question than a word:

I recently encountered, "leave you to your own devises." Since I'm more familiar with the spelling "devices" in that idiom, I did a quick google search for each spelling:

The second, "Devise," seems to me a better fit for the meaning of the idiom, but every reference I found with a quick search gives the first spelling, "Device."

I realize there may be some differences in English vs American spellings involved, but the dictionaries online treat them as two different words.

So which is correct? Is this a case of "Americanized Spelling" usurping the correct word in an idiom or do the various references just have the wrong spelling?

I think DEVISE is the verb and DEVICE is the noun and they are different words.
"He devised a device to keep time".

nark - noun a spy employed by the police: STOOL PIGEON

Hist Slang:

nark - A Police spy, a common informer often 'Copper's Nark' in use before 1864. From Romany nak, the nose.

nark - verb - 1. To watch, occasionally to look after, also 2. to see and 3. to act as an informer. A Morrison in Child Jago 1896 - It was the sole commandment that ran there "Thou shalt not nark" - probably in prison.

I've not encountered "natty hair"; I've always seen it as "nappy hair".

According to my Dictionary of Historical Slang, "nappy hair" would be unmanageable. Nappy was usually applied to a horse, one that would always head back to the stable than the direction the rider wanted to go, hence applied to persons or things that were recalcitrant or unamenable.

That's basically my understanding as well, but it doesn't explain the idiom, "left to one's own devices."

Being left to one's own devices would mean being left to the things that one can devise for oneself. It has the merit of being grammatically correct, whereas being left to one's own devises requires us to understand a verb used as a noun. While English permits the use of one part of speech as another in ordinary speech, it is still not formally correct.

Last edited:
Being left to one's own devices would meaning being left the things that one can devise for oneself. It has the merit of being grammatically correct, whereas being left to one's own devises requires us to understand a verb used as a noun. While English permits the use of one part of speech as another in ordinary speech, it is still not formally correct.

Ta add a little more confusion, Devises is a town in Wiltshire, England.

A nice resolution to Harold's question, gentlemen, thank you so much.

And thank you, Og, for explaining how "nappy" ended up describing unmanageable hair.

I decided to add this next entry to show what happens with a name;

napoleon - noun 1. a French 20-franc gold coin 2.a. a card game resembling euchre; also: a bid to win all five tricks in this game b. any of various forms of solitaire 3. an oblong pastry consisting of layers of puff paste with a filling of cream, custard, or jelly

Good morning, everyone. Sorry I forgot to wish everyone a Happy St. Patrick's Day yesterday. I hope it was a good one.

napiform - noun globular at the top and tapering off abruptly

This really does not makes sense, but since when does language follow rules in logic;

nape - noun the back of the neck

napery - noun household linen; esp: TABLE LINEN

This really does not makes sense, but since when does language follow rules in logic;

nape - noun the back of the neck

napery - noun household linen; esp: TABLE LINEN

Both words come from Middle English. I had always assumed that the connection was that women wore linen wimples that covered the head and neck. The square piece of material used to form a wimple was almost identical to a table napkin.

In Puritan dress, a linen piece was worn around the neck and shoulders.

A baby's nappy was originally a square piece of linen.

santorum

1. (neologism, sex, slang) A frothy mixture of lubricant and fecal matter as an occasional byproduct of anal sex. [from 21st c.]

I've actually used this word in a few stories.

Welcome, AZMotherLover, that is certainly a word fit for LIT.

Thanks, Og, for explaining napery so nicely.

I searched the thread to see if this next word has been posted, but the thread is no longer the same, so I really don't know, one way or the other. Please excuse me, if it has.

namby-pamby - adj 1. lacking character or substance: INSIPID 2. WEAK, INDECISIVE

I searched the thread to see if this next word has been posted, but the thread is no longer the same, so I really don't know, one way or the other. Please excuse me, if it has.

namby-pamby - adj 1. lacking character or substance: INSIPID 2. WEAK, INDECISIVE

Childish in actions and speech.

Here are two fabric words that I decided to post to go along with the other textile ones I have already posted;

nankeen - noun 1. a durable brownish yellow cotton fabric originally loomed by hand in China 2. pl: trousers made of nankeen 3. cap: Chinese porcelain painted in blue on white

nainsook - noun a soft lightweight muslin

I must add this one;

naiad - noun 1. one of the nymphs in ancient mythology living in and giving life to lakes, rivers, springs, and fountains 2. the aquatic young of a mayfly, dragonfly, damselfly, or stone fly 3. MUSSEL

Hist Slang:

Affected; effeminate from 1745); standard English from about 1780. A nickname for Jonathan Swift.

I must add this one;

naiad - noun 1. one of the nymphs in ancient mythology living in and giving life to lakes, rivers, springs, and fountains 2. the aquatic young of a mayfly, dragonfly, damselfly, or stone fly 3. MUSSEL

Of course, it was one of many such words used as another term for whore, and sometimes for Nelson's mistress Lady Hamilton who displayed herself in 'attitudes' barely covered in thin dampened muslin. She was the originator of the wet T-shirt contests.

Lady Hamilton's 'attitudes' were copied on stage by actresses called 'Naiads' who went far further in nudity and wet clothing than she ever dared, and she was daring enough.

The actions of the stage Naiads led to a regulation in England on stage performance of nudity that held sway until the late 1940s. Full nudity was allowed but only if the performers did not move, and the curtains had to be closed for them to leave the stage. A strip-tease would end in the actress remaining still like playing 'Statues'. Of course, audiences tried their best to get the actresses to move...

Og, once again, thank you for the additional information on naiads and the performances they staged. I have seen something similar in HBO's Boardwalk Empire and it all makes more sense now. And please tell me a little more about why that was Jonathan Swift's nickname, if you have the time.

nadir - noun 1. the point of the celestial sphere that is directly opposite the zenith and vertically downward from the observer 2. the lowest point

...And please tell me a little more about why that was Jonathan Swift's nickname, if you have the time.

It seems that namby-pamby was invented and popularised by Swift and others:

In 1714, the English poet and playwright, Ambrose Philips (1674 - 1749) became tutor to George I's grandchildren. The position gave him a status amongst the aristocracy and he took the opportunity to advance his place in society by writing sycophantic sentimental poems in praise of their children. These were written in rather affected and insipid nursery language, of the 'eency-weency', 'goody-goody' sort. This didn't go down well with his rival poets and playwrights and when, in 1725, he wrote the execrable 'To the Honourable Miss Carteret', he was widely derided:

Thou, thy parents pride and care,
Fairest offspring of the fair
When again the lambkins play,
Pretty sportlings,full of May
and so on

His contemporaries Henry Carey, John Gay, Alexander Pope and Jonathan Swift combined the cloying nursery reduplication in Philips' work with his first name and came up with a nickname for him - Namby-Pamby. Carey was the first to put it into print, in the poem Namby-Pamby, circa 1725:

All ye poets of the age,
All ye witlings of the stage …
Namby-Pamby is your guide,
Albion's joy, Hibernia's pride.
Namby-Pamby, pilly-piss,
Rhimy-pim'd on Missy Miss
Tartaretta Tartaree
From the navel to the knee;
That her father's gracy grace
Might give him a placy place.

Pope subsequently made similar fun of Philips in his poem The Dunciad - "Beneath his reign, shall ... Namby Pamby be prefer'd for Wit!"

The term began to be used to describe a style of ineffectual writing soon afterwards; for example, William Ayre, in his Memoirs of the life and writings of Alexander Pope, 1745, writes:

"He [Philips] us'd to write Verses on Infants, in a strange Stile, which Dean [Jonathan] Swift calls the Namby Pamby Stile."

It wasn't long before the direct insult to Philips became a new form of general disparagement and 'namby-pamby' entered the language to refer to anything weak or ineffectual; for example, The Westmoreland Magazine, 1774, refers to "A namby-pamby Duke".

Philips wasn't amongst the first rank of English poets, but some believe the fact that his only lasting contribution to the language as the butt of the disparaging 'namby-pamby' is rather unfair. He was socially unpopular and remained unmarried, poignantly referring in print to 'a broken love-promise', and his unattractive appearance ("of lean make and pale complexion and five feet seven inches high" - Joseph Spence) made him an easy target. However, no less a champion than Samuel Johnson came to his rescue in asserting that "Philips became ridiculous, without his own fault".

Andy Pandy

Perhaps a kinder epitaph is that 'namby-pamby' was clearly the inspiration for the name of the children's television character, Andy Pandy. The puppet was featured in the classic series Watch With Mother, which was amongst the first television programmes made for children and a mainstay of BBC output in the 1950s.

Re: Andy Pandy. See here.

Yes, we did have to put up with some serious nonsense in 1952. Fine if you were about three, but not eight.

Back