Overdone

Well, then you only have yourself to blame. ;)

(Honestly, I can't say I'm surprised you took so long to jump in)



I look for a reason to describe the sex to begin with. Once that's established, writing the sex itself isn't too hard, although, as I said, I now tend to truncate it a little.

If there isn't any? Do you 'fit' it in somehow, rearrange your piece, change your thoughts?
I'm in the minority around here since I don't really write erotica.
 
If there isn't any? Do you 'fit' it in somehow, rearrange your piece, change your thoughts?
I'm in the minority around here since I don't really write erotica.

You can write an excellent sex scene if you're of a mind, tho. :kiss:

One can indulge in excruciating detail of the sex acts or hit the high spots and let the reader imagine the rest. That goes for physical appearance's too.

My early stories committed the beginners faux pas of exaggerating cries during sex ("I'm cummmiiinnnnggg...") RedHairedandFriendly brought me up short on that one, and I am in her debt for it.
 
You can write an excellent sex scene if you're of a mind, tho. :kiss:

One can indulge in excruciating detail of the sex acts or hit the high spots and let the reader imagine the rest. That goes for physical appearance's too.

My early stories committed the beginners faux pas of exaggerating cries during sex ("I'm cummmiiinnnnggg...") RedHairedandFriendly brought me up short on that one, and I am in her debt for it.

Thanks Tom. I guess Journey had a few good ones in it. ;)


I did that type of thing in the beginning as well.
 
If there isn't any? Do you 'fit' it in somehow, rearrange your piece, change your thoughts?
I'm in the minority around here since I don't really write erotica.

Take my current series, Beyond The Veil. No, I'm not fishing for reads. The series is very much based on some of my favorite Sci-Fi Channel TV shows, to the point where every chapter I write is like an individual episode of such a show. I could easily write it without the sex . . . save for two factors:

1) Sex, like violence, romance, introspection and mystery, is a powerful draw to a story. And it is just as integral to life experience. I mean, mainstream novels include all of the above aspects, *except* sex. Why is that, if only to avoid the "erotic" label and thus push the story into a different genre? Screw that. Everybody has sex (or at least wants to, for the most part), and ignoring that is ignoring one of the most basic and empowering needs of humanity.

2) In this particular series, I made sex necessary to the plot. One of the characters has arcane powers that can only be maintained through daily sexual activity. That makes the inclusion of sexual scenes not only allowable, but expected.

There are other stories I have posted on Lit -- Waxley The Bold, for instance -- in which the entire story could have been told -- and originally was -- without a single sex scene. But I do not think that adding sex to a story that "did not need it" detracts from the value of the story at all. As I said, sex is a powerful human experience. We might as well deny that violence exists in writing, if we deny sex.
 
Take my current series, Beyond The Veil. No, I'm not fishing for reads. The series is very much based on some of my favorite Sci-Fi Channel TV shows, to the point where every chapter I write is like an individual episode of such a show. I could easily write it without the sex . . . save for two factors:

1) Sex, like violence, romance, introspection and mystery, is a powerful draw to a story. And it is just as integral to life experience. I mean, mainstream novels include all of the above aspects, *except* sex. Why is that, if only to avoid the "erotic" label and thus push the story into a different genre? Screw that. Everybody has sex (or at least wants to, for the most part), and ignoring that is ignoring one of the most basic and empowering needs of humanity.

2) In this particular series, I made sex necessary to the plot. One of the characters has arcane powers that can only be maintained through daily sexual activity. That makes the inclusion of sexual scenes not only allowable, but expected.

There are other stories I have posted on Lit -- Waxley The Bold, for instance -- in which the entire story could have been told -- and originally was -- without a single sex scene. But I do not think that adding sex to a story that "did not need it" detracts from the value of the story at all. As I said, sex is a powerful human experience. We might as well deny that violence exists in writing, if we deny sex.

True, and I understand that.

For me, the softer, more romantic story flows better. I can hint at the sex, have them in the bedroom, but then drop a line or two that 'fades' away from it, letting the readers imagine what's happening.

On the other hand, my last piece -- A Journey of Passion -- which was my 2008 NaNo -- has sex in several of the chapters. It fits well, and went fine as I wrote it.
 
True, and I understand that.

For me, the softer, more romantic story flows better. I can hint at the sex, have them in the bedroom, but then drop a line or two that 'fades' away from it, letting the readers imagine what's happening.

On the other hand, my last piece -- A Journey of Passion -- which was my 2008 NaNo -- has sex in several of the chapters. It fits well, and went fine as I wrote it.

So you answered your own question. ;)

As I have often seen on the AH, and even repeated myself:

"Write what you want, and damn all the rest."
 
Perhaps it is overdone, but isn't that how women think? We are very critical of our bodies, and what better time to be so than when we're about to be intimate with someone new?

.
 
Nothing should be in the story that isnt relevant. If cup size matters, include it.
 
So you answered your own question. ;)

As I have often seen on the AH, and even repeated myself:

"Write what you want, and damn all the rest."


Yes, because you aren't damning all of the rest. With the broad readership here, you undoubtedly are meeting the likes of a whole bunch of readers.
 
...
There are other stories I have posted on Lit -- Waxley The Bold, for instance -- in which the entire story could have been told -- and originally was -- without a single sex scene. But I do not think that adding sex to a story that "did not need it" detracts from the value of the story at all. As I said, sex is a powerful human experience. We might as well deny that violence exists in writing, if we deny sex.
I have to say that I am pretty sensitive to "scenes the story doesn't need", even sex scenes. I want to see plot or character development in every scene. I just suggested to a writer that she lose most of a chapter of sex exposition for that reason-- submit it on the side, cause it is hot! but didn't add anything to the story.

Even though you aren't fishing for reads, I think I'll be checking you out!
 
Yes, because you aren't damning all of the rest. With the broad readership here, you undoubtedly are meeting the likes of a whole bunch of readers.

True. I've always had this funny thought that, for every single song written, there is at least one person out there who considers their favorite song ever. The same could hold true for every story on Lit (or ever written, for that matter). There's an audience for every writer here.

I have to say that I am pretty sensitive to "scenes the story doesn't need", even sex scenes. I want to see plot or character development in every scene. I just suggested to a writer that she lose most of a chapter of sex exposition for that reason-- submit it on the side, cause it is hot! but didn't add anything to the story.

Even though you aren't fishing for reads, I think I'll be checking you out!

:kiss:
 
Back
Top