nightmares....

thickspear said:
hmmm....my good thoughts to those of you who are troubled by these dreams...i too have had vivid, troubling dreams such as car crashes and out of body experiences...they're very real and now many years later i still react to the fears when i pass some of the places i've dreamed about....

and though i've experienced these things they do not occur very often and when they do i can usually relate them to a particular stressful situation...

here's a question i have about creative dreaming....i'm able to create music, choreography, archetecture and more in very realistic ways which completely elude me in conscious life...

i often enjoy the space between waking and sleep just to experience the fascinating machinations of part of my mind that is otherwise unavailable to me...and...

on two seperate occaisions i have had the sense that something was amiss while awake...and i've made statements for which i had no rational explanations... but these two different statements (one prior to a plane crash, the other was someone who seemed healthy dropped dead of a heart attack the day after i observed him on tv and observed that he appeared to be on the verge of a heart attack, something i've never said before or after)...

so i guess what i'm asking is are your dreams portals into information you don't have while awake ?

i hope my musings and observations haven't hijacked this thread...

ts

No worries Spear... you have not hijacked anything :rose:

As a network engineer/SA, I have pondered on how to fix a problem that I have been working on all day and wake up and BAM I know how to solve it.

Our mind works at different sublevels, I believe (not sub-concious) sp.. but allows us to give full attention to one thing that is on our mind and explore deeper, which we fail to do or don't want to do during the day.

That's where my nightmares are... Things that I push back in my mind during the day and then are released through my mind in dreams.

Hello again blue

Have you had a chance to do the google search I sugested? If not here is a link of a very good page that has a wealth of sensible info on sleep paralysis. It covers most everything you'll need to know to understand what's happening to you and what you might do get your sleep patterns back to a healthier situation.

http://www.arts.uwaterloo.ca/~acheyne/S_P.html

You have probably racked up what's called a serious "sleep debt" which is much like a maxed out credit card. The debt actually makes sleep more difficult because of the stress you are experiencing from not getting adequate sleep over a long period of time. 2 weeks or more generally qualifies--I barely slept for over 3 years and what sleep I did get was riddled with fits of terror from the SP/HH and extremely vivid dreams sequences.

But once I learned more about it and made some changes, I began to sleep bettter and it wasn't such a desperate thing just to get a little rest.

You can learn to take some control--somewhat like lucid dreaming. And that empowers you to deal with those times better--I was able to control the "floating" sensation (out-of-body type feeling) a couple of times and cruise around the house (in my mind of course) and that was a very interesting sensation to say the least. :cool: but :devil:

So check out that site while you have the link in front of you and I think it will put your mind at ease a little. And that's a start.

I'll check back tomorrow to see how you are doing.
keith

Last edited:
veryblueeyes said:
That's where my nightmares are... Things that I push back in my mind during the day and then are released through my mind in dreams.

Since these things only come to you in dreams...can you rewrite the endings to them? Or at least one of the nightmares? Granted, it may be difficult since you said they're based on real-life events but it might be a start.

And you know that you can call me anytime you wake up from one of them...I mean it. Anytime.

:rose:

kmac3323 said:
Hello again blue

Have you had a chance to do the google search I sugested? If not here is a link of a very good page that has a wealth of sensible info on sleep paralysis. It covers most everything you'll need to know to understand what's happening to you and what you might do get your sleep patterns back to a healthier situation.

http://www.arts.uwaterloo.ca/~acheyne/S_P.html

You have probably racked up what's called a serious "sleep debt" which is much like a maxed out credit card. The debt actually makes sleep more difficult because of the stress you are experiencing from not getting adequate sleep over a long period of time. 2 weeks or more generally qualifies--I barely slept for over 3 years and what sleep I did get was riddled with fits of terror from the SP/HH and extremely vivid dreams sequences.

But once I learned more about it and made some changes, I began to sleep bettter and it wasn't such a desperate thing just to get a little rest.

You can learn to take some control--somewhat like lucid dreaming. And that empowers you to deal with those times better--I was able to control the "floating" sensation (out-of-body type feeling) a couple of times and cruise around the house (in my mind of course) and that was a very interesting sensation to say the least. :cool: but :devil:

So check out that site while you have the link in front of you and I think it will put your mind at ease a little. And that's a start.

I'll check back tomorrow to see how you are doing.
keith

Keith,

I so thank you, but as I just awoke from one, it is hard to adjust. I am trying some of the things, but I guess that it takes time. I was running away from something, though my mind wouldn't let me know what it was. I just kept running and running, know that what was chasing me was going to hurt me. It worked this time, that I forced myself awake. So maybe I am getting closer? As a friend of mine can atest to, I fidget and moan and sit up and cry out sometimes, though, I don't wake up... Does that make sense? I don't remember doing this. Anyway, thanks so much!!!

KM

If you forced yourself awake it does sound like a positive step forward. :)

Are you still doing yoga and meditating?

my SO of about 2 years has severe nightmares from time to time. A doctor has actually said it's his manifestation of PTSD from military combat. Will often get all sweaty, heavy breathing, cry, yell, when he becomes violent and starts thrashing about he starts to wake up. It's painful to watch, and yet he feels bad he did it. He often has a crappy day the next day.. just out of sorts, tired, in a funk. Doctor has offered meds but for now he is not open to taking them.

Back