My opinion on cheating stories for what it's worth.

I wrote, like, a whole-ass essay on this, but the TL;DR is that the name is meant to be a tongue-in-cheek joke; they're loving wives, but they're not necessarily loving on their husband. Then, what was originally a wife sharing/swapping/swinging category became... well, what it is today.
Ahhhh...This is what I was looking for. So, it is a bit of a nod and a wink joke because as you said they're not necessarily loving on their husband. That makes perfect sense. That's what I thought it meant because it is so clearly not a category filled with tales of women directing their lust & love upon the men they married. Some are downright nasty toward their husbands. Again, I am passing no judgment on the category. In a similar vein, up until 4 or 5 years ago I had no idea what a "hotwife" meant. I thought it was a misspelling of "hot wife". LOL Oh, how wrong I was.

Thank you, NoTalentHack!

NoTalentHack, I decided to read the essay you wrote about the LW category. It was excellent and very informative. Thank you for tipping me off about its existence. Near the end, you mention a personal desire to see a separate category for cuckold stories one day. I second that, strenuously.

Yes, it was a really well-written and informative essay, and reinforced my view of LW as composed largely of readers and writers with a mindset so different from my own that I'll rarely read, and never write there, although I'm interested in stories about married couples.

This honest sentence in particular sums it up for me:

They hate cheating, they hate disloyalty, and they hate cruelty aimed at a faithful partner

The word that stands out is "hate": A lot of haters in LW. I "hate" murder, but it doesn't stop me enjoying a good murder mystery. LW is filled with the kind of "hate" that arises from confused, hypocritcal morality, and religious and political intolerance -- which I hate!

We're all sometimes cheaters, we're all disloyal, we're all cruel to our faithful partner. But most of us don't hate ourselves or anyone else because of our weakness.

LW is filled with the kind of "hate" that arises from confused, hypocritical morality, and religious and political intolerance -- which I hate!
I think that is part of the hate, but a small part. I think the larger part is from the group who has had their heart broken, their world crushed, their family shattered by a cheating partner.

Happily, this has never happened to me, but I have had it happen to close friends and family. They were forever changed in some way whether it is a lack of trust thereafter or shattered self-confidence. Plus you now have a person who has hatred in their heart for someone they used to love. I can only imagine how that must hurt.

I have no hatred inside me for anyone. It's something that I am grateful for every day. Hatred is poisonous and in my opinion this is the larger part of the vitriol we see against cheating stories.

I think that is part of the hate, but a small part. I think the larger part is from the group who has had their heart broken, their world crushed, their family shattered by a cheating partner.
Yes, that surely is a large part of it for some readers. I do have that exact experience, in my own life, but my response was completely different, I'm pleased to say. The "Loving Wives" cheating story I posted here, in Humor and Satire, "Body And Soul", was my response. Bitter and wry, yes, but hateful, no.

Back