Movies!

Get Out: Horror movie that includes some poignant commentary on racism. Mundane if you're looking for good horror, but worth checking out if you're just looking to be entertained. 7/10

I'm really looking forward to seeing this one, but it isn't released here until May.

Ooo I bet those photographs are amazing. :)

Here are a few pics I took of cats in Istanbul. Not so amazing photos, but the cats are/were cute. :)

Peter and the Farm yesterday. I enjoyed it a lot. It's a documentary about a farmer, Peter, who is completely cut out of his family, is alcoholic and plots suicide. It's not one of those feel good flicks.

Moonlight was so good. So, so good!

Hidden Figures. Black women working as mathematicians/engineers/programmers on NASA's Mercury program.

I was expecting a worthy politically-aware historical movie, and it is, but it was also just really fun. Some of the dialogue had me cackling in my seat.

Also the maths-y bits were good, and they pronounced "Euler" correctly. Unlike SOME movies I could name.

Looking forward to this one. Thanks for the recommendation.

I've been watching the UK series of filmed plays from The National Theatre. Just watched Hedda Gabler (the Ibsen play, but a modern version). I was impressed. Intense stuff going on in the play. But curiously plausible.

Tried watching The Leftovers, Big Little Lies and The Collection this week. Like them all so far!

I watched Raw this evening, a decent enough French indie horror movie that reminded me a little in theme of the movie Ravenous. 6.5/10

Raw

Here's a thread I could love.

Recent picks (not necessarily recent films, but ones I've seen recently):
The Revenant ... what a load of pants. Stopped about halfway through (and we don't do that often).
Eye in the Sky ... taut, gripping, and almost believable. Some interesting moral conundrums, although predictable ending.
Girlhood (French, subtitled) ... best thing I've seen in ages. Sad, sweet, poignant, beautifully acted - great to see a female-centric film that feels like they're actual women.

The Danish Girl - this is an area I know about in a fair bit of depth, and I though it was really nicely handled. Probably not historically accurate, and a little romanticised, but the love story at the heart of it was lovely, and the transitioning 'training' extremely convincing.

The Danish Girl - this is an area I know about in a fair bit of depth, and I though it was really nicely handled. Probably not historically accurate, and a little romanticised, but the love story at the heart of it was lovely, and the transitioning 'training' extremely convincing.

I thought "The Danish Girl" was fabulous. I was disappointed to discover that the story is historically inaccurate. However the movie was great.

I thought "The Danish Girl" was fabulous. I was disappointed to discover that the story is historically inaccurate. However the movie was great.

I've been meaning to watch The Danish Girl for a long time. Thanks for the reminder! :)

I watched Pandora, which is a Korean movie about a nuclear plant going boom. Man, oh man. I found it funny, but for the wrong reasons. The emotional scenes were so dragged out, the acting was very K-drama-esque (ie. over the top) and the story was nothing to write home about.

The most entertainment I got out of the movie was from chasing phrases I understood and wondering why they used one word over another.

I've been meaning to watch The Danish Girl for a long time. Thanks for the reminder! :)

I watched Pandora, which is a Korean movie about a nuclear plant going boom. Man, oh man. I found it funny, but for the wrong reasons. The emotional scenes were so dragged out, the acting was very K-drama-esque (ie. over the top) and the story was nothing to write home about.

The most entertainment I got out of the movie was from chasing phrases I understood and wondering why they used one word over another.
Train to Busan!
Probably the only zombie movie in existence where not a single gun was fired throughout the whole thing.

I watched "The Shack" today.

It is a movie told about a Christian man/family and told from a Christian perspective.

The reality is that it is a philosophical treatise on the problem of a good God and bad things happening. Theologically somewhat simplistic, but focusing on the love of God for humans at all times.

It deals with forgiveness and letting go as well.

If the blatant religious bias doesn't irritate you, it is probably worth seeing. But it doesn't give all the answers to the meaning of life.

Putting this on hold.

Train to Busan!
Probably the only zombie movie in existence where not a single gun was fired throughout the whole thing.

Have you read the book? It angered me so much but I hear the movie soft balls it and I do like the actress who plays god. Not sure if I want to see the movie or not. I'm really angry that the book has been on the best sellers list, again. Ugh.

I watched "The Shack" today.

It is a movie told about a Christian man/family and told from a Christian perspective.

The reality is that it is a philosophical treatise on the problem of a good God and bad things happening. Theologically somewhat simplistic, but focusing on the love of God for humans at all times.

It deals with forgiveness and letting go as well.

If the blatant religious bias doesn't irritate you, it is probably worth seeing. But it doesn't give all the answers to the meaning of life.

I saw the live action remake of Ghost in the Shell today with Scarlet Johansson and Juliette Binoche (among others), and I found it disappointing. It's too slow to be a good action movie; the dialog and writing are terrible; the talented actors and actresses are wasted; and scenes that should be thought-provoking feel hurried and shallow.

If you're looking for pretty, Blade Runner-like visuals, and don't want to think too much, you might check it out. But for me, it's the incarnation of what I'm worried the remake of Blade Runner will become. 2/10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUtG93BebJ4

Last edited:
Putting this on hold.

Have you read the book? It angered me so much but I hear the movie soft balls it and I do like the actress who plays god. Not sure if I want to see the movie or not. I'm really angry that the book has been on the best sellers list, again. Ugh.

No, I haven't read the book. I'm usually quite cynical about these religious moves (bear in mind that I am a practising Christian) so I was a little surprised that I enjoyed the move. Some of the reviewers legt. Some stayed but hated it.

I saw The Fate of the Furious today.

It is now the 8th movie in the series of the Fast and the Furious. Fans know whether they like them or not. I like them very much.

The first part of this movie is set in Cuba with the old cars. Those who like old cars will enjoy this section of motoring eye candy a great deal.

Talking eye candy, there is plenty of it. Charlize Theron is to be found in the cast. Vin Diesel, Dwayne Johnson, Jason Statham, Michelle Rodriqueze, Tyrese Gibson, Chris Bridges, Nathalie Emmanuel, Kurt Russell, Scott Eastwood and Helen Mirren also feature in roles greater or smaller.

I thoroughly enjoyed this movie for the fluffy, unrealistic fun that it is.

The Salesman (2016) is an Iranian movie directed and written by Asghar Farhadi. It stars Taraneh Alidoosti (Rana) and Shahab Hosseini (Emad). The Academy Awards ceremony was an opportunity for Asghar Farhadi to make a stand against the travel ban on Iranians and. even though he was permitted to attend, he stayed away.

This simple realistic drama It involves the complexities around prostitution, rape, marital issues after a sexual attack, including fear, guilt, inadequacy, sexual rejection, post-traumatic stress, revenge and forgiveness..

Complaints of "too slow" were heard at the end of the screening. I acknowledge that there was a distinct lack of action. Instead what we find is a measured unpacking of a complex issue as Rana and Emad work through the repercussions of the attack on Rana. It unlocks our compassion and, at times, our bewilderment, at their decisions.

Not all movies are purely about entertainment. Some stay with us for days, weeks, months or years after we have seen it. The Salesman may be one of those movies.

Room - potentially a well-produced lengthy episode of CSI; actually a totally engaging story with some incredible acting. Did require a little bit of disbelief suspension in places, but nothing too major.

pieces-01.gif

Classic Spanish exploitation.

Garners a 9/10 based solely on this powerful performance :D

https://youtu.be/0nQKhdxhQMI

In honour of this weekend, I'm watching three of the four most religious movies I own. Life of Brian, Dogma and Blues Brothers.

Life of Brian is the Monty Python story of the bloke who grew up in the manger next to Jesus. He grows up to join a resistance movement against the romans. The first time I watched this movie I cried with laughter.

Dogma is a Kevin Smith movie. The same guy who brought you Clerks I & II, and Mall Rats took a swing at Catholicism with hilarious results. Most of the old crew make an appearance plus a few new additions. Alan Rickman, Chris Rock, Jason Lee and George Carlin as a cardinal. A perfectly wholesome family movie, provided your family don't get offended by shit demons and the word fuck every time Mewes (Jay) opens his mouth. P.S. did I mention Salma Hyeck is a stripper?

Blue Brothers is the musical story of the blues brothers (duh!). One brother gets out of prison only to find the orphanage where he grew up is about to be sold off unless they pay their taxes. They decide, after a bit of divine intervention via a James Brown run church, to get the band back together. Cue car chases, pissed off nazis, pissed off cops, pissed off spouses, more car chases and the best soundtrack to grace a movie ever. Cameos from Aretha, James Brown, Ray Charles, John Lee Hooker and Carrie Fisher.

Any religious movies I'm missing for the long weekend (excluding A Muppets Christmas Carol of course)?

Blessed are the cheese makers?
What a riot....

And the roman soldier correcting his latin...
Another hoot!!!

Back