Motivation....

HONEY

I have a huge fund of old news articles, journal articles, and tons of odds & ends from long ago to construct stories. Horror is what I write, so I glean stuff from 19th Century journals about insanity and folklore. I also read a lot. I recently read a book about the history of vampires.

So...how about a story of an old man who's half vampire and uses his 'legacy' to quietly fight criminals at the highest levels of government, commerce, and academia? Throw in an investigative reporter, hot to reveal the identity of the mystery serial killer...but is herself marked to be murdered by a corporate tycoon.

The old newspapers are filled with bizarre stuff that's perfect for horror.

I'm reading a Bette Davis interview that can spawn at least a dozen porn stories. She knew all the dirt on Hollywood. Much of the material can be re-worked into fiction.
 
HONEY

I have a huge fund of old news articles, journal articles, and tons of odds & ends from long ago to construct stories. Horror is what I write, so I glean stuff from 19th Century journals about insanity and folklore. I also read a lot. I recently read a book about the history of vampires.

So...how about a story of an old man who's half vampire and uses his 'legacy' to quietly fight criminals at the highest levels of government, commerce, and academia? Throw in an investigative reporter, hot to reveal the identity of the mystery serial killer...but is herself marked to be murdered by a corporate tycoon.

The old newspapers are filled with bizarre stuff that's perfect for horror.

I'm reading a Bette Davis interview that can spawn at least a dozen porn stories. She knew all the dirt on Hollywood. Much of the material can be re-worked into fiction.


Hmm.. I love this. But then my mind keeps going to Susan Grafton books... Perhaps it's time to put done the romance novels and hit the mystery stories again.

Well, you've got my creative juices revved up now..thank you!! newspapers? That's so very interesting.. I never ever thougth of that. It's so clever.. (perhaps that's why!)

Thank you!!
 
Hello Authors!

It's been awhile..and I wanted to say HI!!!! give out hugs and kisses...but mostly needed some advice.

I hit a block. Not so much writing, but a motivational block. I have the words, I have the ideas, but I just don't have the motivation to put it all down on virtual "paper".

3 stories half finished. As I lay in bed, I continue with chapters in my head and then squash them.

Are there exercises I can do to make me excited about writing again? What do you do when you get this way...or, have you ever gotten this way and how long does it last?

:kiss:

A few years back, I hit that same block. The blank page stared at me, relentlessly mocking my every effort. To say I was frustrated is an understatement.

Eventually I was forced to take a step back and evaluate all the unfinished work I had sitting around. Technically, the writing was good, but the stories were boring--at least to me. I discovered I wasn't connected to them on an emotional level.

After exploring the minds of the people around me, and those that I knew in the past, a plan began to form. From that sketchy plan, a story started to grow and soon I was writing again. What I was writing was a novel that held in it all the people I'd known, the places I'd lived in or been to and all the experiences I'd had over the years. In short, it came from my heart.

I think the key is to write something you can identify with, something that has meaning to the writer. If you're looking for motivation, try taking something from your past and turning it into a story.

Anyway, that's my two cents.
 
A few years back, I hit that same block. The blank page stared at me, relentlessly mocking my every effort. To say I was frustrated is an understatement.

Eventually I was forced to take a step back and evaluate all the unfinished work I had sitting around. Technically, the writing was good, but the stories were boring--at least to me. I discovered I wasn't connected to them on an emotional level.

After exploring the minds of the people around me, and those that I knew in the past, a plan began to form. From that sketchy plan, a story started to grow and soon I was writing again. What I was writing was a novel that held in it all the people I'd known, the places I'd lived in or been to and all the experiences I'd had over the years. In short, it came from my heart.

I think the key is to write something you can identify with, something that has meaning to the writer. If you're looking for motivation, try taking something from your past and turning it into a story.

Anyway, that's my two cents.


Thank you for your advice (much more than two cents ~ it's priceless..)
did you publish the novel?? *and congratulations on that*
 
LMAO..

actually, I may use that in an investigation story.

Now, how about something I can use for a sex story???

Start writing or I'll hunt you down and kill you after I violate you with a ten-inch strap-on. You're an awful picky victim, ya know?
 
Thank you for your advice (much more than two cents ~ it's priceless..)
did you publish the novel?? *and congratulations on that*

No, but Shelter from the Storm is in print and I'll have another one out in August. I haven't really decided what to do with the story in question, Dire Straits, yet, but I'm working on it. Soon...

Thanks. :)
 
It's perfect! The Picky Rape Victim by Honey123

I've never raped anyone! That will be hard.... Ok, now I just had a vision of Madeline Kahn in History of the World, Part One, where she is picking out her lover out of the Gladiator line... LOL... "no, no, no. No, yes. No, no no.....YESSSSSSSSSSS"


No, but Shelter from the Storm is in print and I'll have another one out in August. I haven't really decided what to do with the story in question, Dire Straits, yet, but I'm working on it. Soon...

Thanks. :)

In stores?
 
The only things that seem to work for me are feedback and a responsibility factor. It's like I have to be writing FOR someone.

This is why I finish so many things with Imp. Solo work is harder for me. When I am writing with Imp, I don't want to let her down.

I have far too many WIP on the solo side. I can start, it is the finishing I have trouble with. Ideas are not a problem.
 
I've never raped anyone! That will be hard.... Ok, now I just had a vision of Madeline Kahn in History of the World, Part One, where she is picking out her lover out of the Gladiator line... LOL... "no, no, no. No, yes. No, no no.....YESSSSSSSSSSS"

And here I was picturing Madeline Kahn in What's Up Doc, where she was accusing some mobsters of taking advantage of her, to which the judge said, "That's, un-be-liev-a-ble..." while scribbling notes on a pad.
 
The only things that seem to work for me are feedback and a responsibility factor. It's like I have to be writing FOR someone.

This is why I finish so many things with Imp. Solo work is harder for me. When I am writing with Imp, I don't want to let her down.

I have far too many WIP on the solo side. I can start, it is the finishing I have trouble with. Ideas are not a problem.
Same problem.

I need an Imp then. :cool:
 
Hello Authors!

It's been awhile..and I wanted to say HI!!!! give out hugs and kisses...but mostly needed some advice.

I hit a block. Not so much writing, but a motivational block. I have the words, I have the ideas, but I just don't have the motivation to put it all down on virtual "paper".

3 stories half finished. As I lay in bed, I continue with chapters in my head and then squash them.

Are there exercises I can do to make me excited about writing again? What do you do when you get this way...or, have you ever gotten this way and how long does it last?

:kiss:

Mine coincided with you going. Don't you DARE go now
 
Thank you! I love hugs!! {{hugs you back}}




Thank you! that sounds good.... I'm actually helping my niece type a research paper... I know, boring, but it's got me writing.. LOL... Perhaps I do need more stimulation than motivation...although I thought they went hand in hand..and if so, I'm shit outta luck!



LOL.... awww... six short stories is pretty damn good for wasting time!!! :D

Honey, you'll have to ignore JBJ, most of us do for one reason or another but, that's up to you to decide.
 
Back
Top