I'm out of here

There's a huge entry in Wikipedia
Okay, I'm game, what was the error? (Not that Wikipedia doesn't have others.) Since people are posting things on here (are you watching this, GTO Racer?) and Emily seems interested in ships, this video is worth a look.

Okay, I'm game, what was the error? (Not that Wikipedia doesn't have others.) Since people are posting things on here (are you watching this, GTO Racer?) and Emily seems interested in ships, this video is worth a look.

Here's a quick time lapse of a trip up the St. Lawrence river from Montreal through the Thousand Islands

Here's a quick time lapse of a trip up the St. Lawrence river from Montreal through the Thousand Islands

Thanks. It took me a moment to realize that "up the St Lawrence" means gong southwest. And I had forgotten about the locks - the St. Lawrence Seaway.

Thanks. It took me a moment to realize that "up the St Lawrence" means gong southwest. And I had forgotten about the locks - the St. Lawrence Seaway.
I grew up on Lake Erie and have been a BoatNerd my whole life (The link takes you to a page full of Lakes/Seaway news) On the Great Lakes/St. Lawrence Seaway, "Up" means west and "Down" means east. The reason is simple, in the west Lake Superior sits at an elevation of 600 feet and other lakes are gradually lower as you move east until you reach sea level at the mouth of the St. Lawrence.

It has always been my dream to take a boat ride from Duluth MN to Key West FL via the great lakes, Erie Canal, then the intercoastal waterway.

Last edited:
I grew up on Lake Erie and have been a BoatNerd my whole life (The link takes you to a page full of Lakes/Seaway news) On the Great Lakes/St. Lawrence Seaway, "Up" means west and "Down" means east. The reason is simple, in the west Lake Superior sits at an elevation of 600 feet and other lakes are gradually lower as you move east until you reach sea level at the mouth of the St. Lawrence.

It has always been my dream to take a boat ride from Duluth MN to Key West FL via the great lakes, Erie Canal, then the intercoastal waterway.
You might be interested in a book written by the author William Least Heat Moon called River Horse, which is about his travel from east to west across the USA by boat, starting at the Hudson, working his way through canals to the Great Lakes, as I recall, then down the Ohio to the Mississippi, then to the Missouri. He managed to do it with a very minimal amount of land portage.

Your proposed trip reminds me of a book I read as a kid: Paddle to the Sea, about a carved toy wooden canoe that made that very passage.

I don't remember anything (your posts are often very clarifying to topic at hand) but sure, no sense in drama where there is none.

I do so loathe the n/c topic. It seems to create frictions with people who rarely have troubles with anybody.
I remember it but I don't remember the topic. But great, end of the drama (at least this one).

Me? No, I can't afford a boat (BOAT = Break Out Another Thousand)

GTO Racer? It would be a shame if he left, he sounds like he could use this education
I remember reading about two ships colliding in a river in wartime that was the largest non-nuclear explosion ever (the Halifax explosion) which I believe in terms of injuries and fatalities was far worse than the Beirut explosion.

I remember reading about two ships colliding in a river in wartime that was the largest non-nuclear explosion ever (the Halifax explosion) which I believe in terms of injuries and fatalities was far worse than the Beirut explosion.

it was in Halifax harbor during World War One. One of the ships was packed full of explosives and caught fire. When it blew up, it wiped out a big part of the city and killed almost 2,000 people.

Interesting note;Boston sent a huge of amount of supplies and doctors and such to help, and every year, Halifax supplies the official Christmas tree to Boston as a thank you.

This company doesn't do exactly that, although they've got some other kinds of trips, more than I've known about before.

https://www.americancruiselines.com...dYBbCehhDiyjxdq53kxG0Ph9rk1mjRchoC4_gQAvD_BwE

Hopefully soon-to-be new writer, this is exactly what I am worried about. I currently have two stories in progress, same thing, it's non-consent (captured, series of tortures) so no happy ending every little chapter. GTO, if you do go, where else do you intend to write at?
Just from what you've said, it sounds like it won't fly on Lit. But we just went through how it's not worth fighting Lit; just go elsewhere. Even GTO admitted that he did that, so he was just flapping his gums.

it was in Halifax harbor during World War One. One of the ships was packed full of explosives and caught fire. When it blew up, it wiped out a big part of the city and killed almost 2,000 people.

Interesting note;Boston sent a huge of amount of supplies and doctors and such to help, and every year, Halifax supplies the official Christmas tree to Boston as a thank you.
Yeah, there were safety rules in place but due to the war they were lifted for expediency because it wasn’t like anything this bad would ever happen…till it did.

This is true. The Boston media gives it lavish coverage every year.

Back