Foodgasms

Status
Not open for further replies.
tortoise said:
I've always wanted to give sausage making a go, myself. I have visions of inventing wild new combinations.

<snip>

that's the great thing about it.

it's a palate for flavors.

Tatiana0706 said:
YOU are up early! g'morning torty :kiss:

Good morning, sweet Tati. :kiss:

Yes, my body has been doing this early rising thing lately. I tell myself that I need to wake up in time for my walk, but it overshoots by a good hour or so.

Rambling Rose said:
I had a neighbor in my duplex who would whip up this delectable root vegetable gratin. I miss him solely for that. He played guitar until the wee hours of the morning, and he was often late with the rent, but that gratin won him favor with me.

I should have gotten the recipe before he moved to Oregon.

Yum. A root vegetable gratin would be a perfect match for Hester's wood oven. I can smell it in my head already.

CrackerjackHrt said:
that's the great thing about it.

it's a palate for flavors.

A palette for the palate. Trying new flavor combinations is high on the list of 453,890 things I love about cooking.

Rambling Rose said:
I'm completely green with envy over Hester's wood oven. Bitch.

I covet it, too. It is a beautiful thing. A work of art, made for creating works of art.

tortoise said:
Butter is delicious with roots. You'll want to roast them at a lower temperature, though, if you use butter. Either that, or roast them hot and add the butter after. I do this with my sweet potatoes.

I saw Tyler last night make mashed sweet potatos with banana of all things. I can usually wrap my head around unusual food combinations but that one I'm going to have to try ...

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_35146,00.html

Whipped Sweet Potatoes and Bananas with Honey Recipe
courtesy Tyler Florence

Show: Tyler's Ultimate
Episode: Ultimate Thanksgiving

You can roast the potatoes and bananas ahead of time, then put it all together just before serving. Then heat it up in the oven.

5 medium sweet potatoes, scrubbed
4 bananas, unpeeled
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/4 cup honey
Kosher salt
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup dark brown sugar
1 1/2 cups pecans, chopped

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
Prick the sweet potatoes all over with a fork, put them in a roasting pan and roast for 30 minutes. Toss the bananas into the pan and continue roasting for 10 to 15 minutes, until both the bananas and potatoes are very soft. Remove the pan from the oven but don't turn the oven off.

When the potatoes are cool enough to handle, scoop out the flesh into a large mixing bowl. Peel the bananas and add them to the bowl along with 1 stick of the butter, and the honey. Season with salt and beat vigorously with a wooden spoon until everything's well combined and the mixture is fluffy. Spoon into an oven-proof serving bowl and smooth the top.

In a separate mixing bowl, use your fingers to rub together the remaining stick of butter, the brown sugar, flour, and pecans until the mixture is the consistency of coarse crumbs. Sprinkle the crumb mixture over the sweet potatoes and return to the oven. Cook for about 20 minutes, until the crumbs are golden. Serve hot.

This is what I taped yesterday that got my taste buds aflutter:

Barefoot Contessa's Chicken with Morels

1- ounce dried morels, soaked for 30 minutes in 3 cups very hot water
6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
Kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
All-purpose flour, for dredging
1⁄4 cup clarified butter
1⁄3 cup chopped shallots (2 large)
1 tablespoon minced garlic (3 cloves)
1 cup Madeira wine
1 cup (8 ounces) creme fraiche
1 cup heavy cream
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
Lift the morels carefully from the hot water in order to leave any grit behind in the liquid. Rinse a few times to be sure all the grittiness is gone. Discard the liquid and dry the morels lightly with paper towels. Set aside.

Sprinkle the chicken breasts with salt and pepper. Dredge them in flour and shake off the excess. Heat half the clarified butter in a large saute pan and cook the chicken in 2 batches over medium-low heat until browned on both sides, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove to an ovenproof casserole.

Add the rest of the clarified butter to the pan along with the shallots, drained morels, and garlic. Saute over medium heat for 2 minutes, tossing and stirring constantly. Pour the Madeira into the pan and reduce the liquid by half over high heat, 2 to 4 minutes. Add the creme fraiche, cream, lemon juice, 1 teaspoon salt, and 3⁄4 teaspoon pepper. Boil until the mixture starts to thicken, 5 to 10 minutes. Pour the sauce over the chicken and bake for 12 minutes, or until the chicken is heated through.

Serve with Rosemary Polenta:

1/4 pound (1 stick) unsalted butter
1/4 cup olive oil
1 tablespoon minced garlic (3 cloves)
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary leaves
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3 cups chicken stock, preferably homemade
2 cups half-and-half
2 cups milk
2 cups cornmeal
1/2 cup good grated Parmesan
Flour, olive oil, and butter, for frying

Heat the butter and olive oil in a large saucepan. Add the garlic, red pepper flakes, rosemary, salt, and pepper and saute for 1 minute. Add the chicken stock, half-and-half, and milk and bring to a boil. Remove from the heat and slowly sprinkle the cornmeal into the hot milk while stirring constantly with a whisk. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, for a few minutes, until thickened and bubbly. Off the heat, stir in the Parmesan. Pour into a 9 by 13 by 2-inch pan, smooth the top, and refrigerate until firm and cold.
Cut the chilled polenta into 12 squares, as you would with brownies. Lift each one out with a spatula and cut diagonally into triangles. Dust each triangle lightly in flour. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil and 1 tablespoon butter in a large saute pan and cook the triangles in batches over medium heat for 3 to 5 minutes, turning once, until browned on the outside and heated inside. Add more butter and oil, as needed. Serve immediately.

ShamelessFlirt said:
I saw Tyler last night make mashed sweet potatos with banana of all things. I can usually wrap my head around unusual food combinations but that one I'm going to have to try ...

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_35146,00.html

Whipped Sweet Potatoes and Bananas with Honey Recipe
courtesy Tyler Florence

Wow. That is unusual!

Rambling Rose said:
This is what I taped yesterday that got my taste buds aflutter:

Barefoot Contessa's Chicken with Morels

That sounds so amazing.

I have a big crush on Ina. Something about her relaxed, knowing, slightly wicked grin.

tortoise said:
Yum. A root vegetable gratin would be a perfect match for Hester's wood oven. I can smell it in my head already.
really good idea. sometime next week!!!

I'm making Rosemary chicken...

It smells absolutely wonderful.. Lovely aromatics going on right now..

Which is good considering the fact that I just threw a whole bunch of nothing together..

In the library picking up all my books on latest wildfire obsession (Cold War era/ Apollo Program), I noted that the guy who wrote that book about British football hooliganism--think it's called With The Thugs ...something thugs anyhow--I actually read it years ago, it was great--has a new one out about working in a restaurant as a prep cook. It looked totally interesting. Bill Bruford I think his name is, or is that the drummer of King Krimson. ANyhow, the book is called HEAT. (I think).

Hester said:
really good idea. sometime next week!!!

Yum!

Hikari said:
I'm making Rosemary chicken...

It smells absolutely wonderful.. Lovely aromatics going on right now..

Which is good considering the fact that I just threw a whole bunch of nothing together..

Yum!

rosco rathbone said:
In the library picking up all my books on latest wildfire obsession (Cold War era/ Apollo Program), I noted that the guy who wrote that book about British football hooliganism--think it's called With The Thugs ...something thugs anyhow--I actually read it years ago, it was great--has a new one out about working in a restaurant as a prep cook. It looked totally interesting. Bill Bruford I think his name is, or is that the drummer of King Krimson. ANyhow, the book is called HEAT. (I think).

Buford. It does look very interesting.

I was looking thru a food magazine that came in the mail yesterday. It's called "foodspring" the magazine for the food adventurist. They have a ton of new and different food items in there, it's a very cool magazine for something I get free. ANYWAY...they had a little blurb for sweet potato vinegar, which sounded extremely yummy to me. Has anyone ever tried it?

You can read about it here...
Benimosu

BTW...here is the link if you want to subscribe to "foodspring" for free, besides all the new and different food items, they have recipes, and top restaurants, food articles and interviews with chefs.
http://www.foodspring.com/subscribe.php

Tatiana0706 said:
I was looking thru a food magazine that came in the mail yesterday. It's called "foodspring" the magazine for the food adventurist. They have a ton of new and different food items in there, it's a very cool magazine for something I get free. ANYWAY...they had a little blurb for sweet potato vinegar, which sounded extremely yummy to me. Has anyone ever tried it?

You can read about it here...
Benimosu

BTW...here is the link if you want to subscribe to "foodspring" for free, besides all the new and different food items, they have recipes, and top restaurants, food articles and interviews with chefs.
http://www.foodspring.com/subscribe.php

I :heart: you. That magazine sounds perfect for me!

*racing to sign on the dotted line*

The sweet potato vinegar sounds amazing, and looks so beautiful:

benimosu_englishlabel.jpg

It's a happy day when my subscriptions come with the bills and occassional flyers telling me that another sex offender has moved into the area.

I get Saveur, Bon Appetit, Gourmet, Cooks Illustrated and now this new one!

Yay! Did you take a look at the site? It has a lot of the same things in the magazine. I so want to get the Saporina Malpighi Balsamic Spread.

saporinhx3.jpg

This Italian preserve is made with Saporoso Malpighi Balsamic, an organic balsamic that is created with an even blend of the Lambrusco and Trebbiano Modenese grapes from the Malpighi estate in Modena, Italy. The musts are cooked over an open fire and then aged for six years in oak barrels. Sugar and natural fruit pectin are added to the balsamic to form the flavorful preserve.

Use the balsamic spread on warm bread or muffins, pair it with earthy and complex aged cheeses such as Parmigiano-Reggiano, Grana Padano and Pecorino, or turn it into a sweet marinade for meats, poultry and fish.

Tatiana0706 said:
This Italian preserve is made with Saporoso Malpighi Balsamic, an organic balsamic that is created with an even blend of the Lambrusco and Trebbiano Modenese grapes from the Malpighi estate in Modena, Italy. The musts are cooked over an open fire and then aged for six years in oak barrels. Sugar and natural fruit pectin are added to the balsamic to form the flavorful preserve.

Use the balsamic spread on warm bread or muffins, pair it with earthy and complex aged cheeses such as Parmigiano-Reggiano, Grana Padano and Pecorino, or turn it into a sweet marinade for meats, poultry and fish.

Oh. My. God.

That sounds incredible, Tati! My mouth is seriously watering.

Yeah, I'm a fancy condiment whore, too. Intense nibbles of pure pleasure. That Fig & Balsamic is amazing. I like to make a fresh version, too, with ripe figs, balsamic, and fresh cracked black pepper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back