Fake accounts

BrooklynDodger

Really Experienced
Joined
Jan 17, 2019
Posts
137
A significant proportion of those purporting to be women here have neither profiles nor posts. Many “joined” Lit in November or December 2018 or January 2019.

I am assuming that they have been deliberately created in order to create a false
semblance of gender parity amongst Lit users.

Is there something that can be done to address this problem which would appear to be an act of dishonesty towards all users?

Dave
 
Twitter, Instagram and other major social media platforms are all working on solutions to eliminate the Russian disinformation machine. Only a matter of time before Lit. adopts them.

Stay tuned.
 
I think we have some fake male Deplorable accounts. They seem to multiply and they have poor mastery of the English language. Probably bots from you know where...
 
One reply and it's straight to the great Red Russian Menace to Liberty.


Look, at this point, they would have to revive Trotsky to get to the Left of the recent incarnation of the Democrat Party...
 
One reply and it's straight to the great Red Russian Menace to Liberty.


Look, at this point, they would have to revive Trotsky to get to the Left of the recent incarnation of the Democrat Party...

Because in our lifetime and prior the red menace has never been a threat to liberty.

You're making a more compelling case for that protected class with each and every post, bub.
 
A significant proportion of those purporting to be women here have neither profiles nor posts. Many “joined” Lit in November or December 2018 or January 2019.

I am assuming that they have been deliberately created in order to create a false
semblance of gender parity amongst Lit users.

Is there something that can be done to address this problem which would appear to be an act of dishonesty towards all users?

Dave

And what facts or evidence do you have to support your assumption? It could be that those who have no profile or posts just want to lurk a while to read and see what this is all about. That is as likely as your theory.

Comshaw
 
And what facts or evidence do you have to support your assumption? It could be that those who have no profile or posts just want to lurk a while to read and see what this is all about. That is as likely as your theory.

Comshaw

You suggest that women might be put off posting by the creeps and trolls? Why I'm shocked!
 
Because in our lifetime and prior the red menace has never been a threat to liberty.

You're making a more compelling case for that protected class with each and every post, bub.

Never been a threat to Liberty, or just your Liberty?

I mean run that by a Hungarian, a Ukrainian, any member nation who broke away from the Soviet Union...

So, why then did you go straight to Russia "agents' creating alts?
 
You suggest that women might be put off posting by the creeps and trolls? Why I'm shocked!

I know, I know. That is a bit of a shocker isn't it? The other thing is that a guy who has nothing in his profile, and only nine posts is complaining about women who have the same? Go figure!


Comshaw
 
Never been a threat to Liberty, or just your Liberty?

I mean run that by a Hungarian, a Ukrainian, any member nation who broke away from the Soviet Union...

So, why then did you go straight to Russia "agents' creating alts?

Do you ever get the feeling you try too hard? You should (get that feeling). ;)
 
I know, I know. That is a bit of a shocker isn't it? The other thing is that a guy who has nothing in his profile, and only nine posts is complaining about women who have the same? Go figure!

Comshaw
And checking all the profiles of women he's never posted with isn't creepy at all.
 
How many posts do you have to have before you can edit your profile on the boards? I setup my profile in the main area but when I go to the boards section it just ask me to change my password.
 
How many posts do you have to have before you can edit your profile on the boards? I setup my profile in the main area but when I go to the boards section it just ask me to change my password.

I took a look and it seems there is a programing problem. When you click on the "edit profile" bar it takes you to the "change password" link instead. An post to the powers that be would seem in order.

Comshaw
 
I took a look and it seems there is a programing problem. When you click on the "edit profile" bar it takes you to the "change password" link instead. An post to the powers that be would seem in order.

Comshaw

People have been trying to get that fixed for a long time now. Like, maybe a year? Either it can't be fixed, or the powers that be aren't prioritising it.
 
People have been trying to get that fixed for a long time now. Like, maybe a year? Either it can't be fixed, or the powers that be aren't prioritising it.

I sent Laurel a note about it. I had no idea it's been a problem that long. It just goes to show when you've been here since dirt was invented how much you ignore.


Comshaw
 
I sent Laurel a note about it. I had no idea it's been a problem that long. It just goes to show when you've been here since dirt was invented how much you ignore.


Comshaw

Wow it's been that long since it's been an issue. That's why I thought maybe you had to have a certain number of posts before you could do anything with it.
 
I sent Laurel a note about it. I had no idea it's been a problem that long. It just goes to show when you've been here since dirt was invented how much you ignore.


Comshaw

I'm pretty sure Laurel and Manu know. There's numerous threads in the ... whatever that board is called where you talk about technical difficulties.
 
I think we have some fake male Deplorable accounts. They seem to multiply and they have poor mastery of the English language. Probably bots from you know where...

I'm not having at go at you. Just correcting some GB misconceptions, as I see them:

Russian bots are more likely to have good mastery of English-otherwise why risk being recognized for the start?
You recognise their nationality by the way they express ideas; they don't beat around the bush much. Russian plutocrats were particularly hilarious years ago, before they learned to be PC: they were just spilling it as it was. For me, this is also one of Putin’s charms.

Indians (another ethnic group that Gbers are paranoid about) –at least those that I came across- are more likely to show a fluent and quite sophisticated use of English language. Not unlike Swiss and Germans, whose language is similarly structured.
For Indians - Probably because even undergrad. subjects were taught in English.
 
Russian bots are overblown boogiemen, part of the set of excuses used for losing a sure-win election to that 'orange clown.'

Whatever it takes for the Left to avoid looking into the mirror; they might catch sight of a hood and blackface.

And now, Lit is so important, so pivotal, such a difference maker for the electorate at large, that the Russians have decided to peddle their influence here; the land of MAGA hats...

:rolleyes:
 
Thank you...


It's nice to score once in a while.
Batting .222 is positively major league,

If you have glove.
 
Russian bots are overblown boogiemen, part of the set of excuses used for losing a sure-win election to that 'orange clown.'

Whatever it takes for the Left to avoid looking into the mirror; they might catch sight of a hood and blackface.

And now, Lit is so important, so pivotal, such a difference maker for the electorate at large, that the Russians have decided to peddle their influence here; the land of MAGA hats...

:rolleyes:

It probably is true, that they tried to influence public opinion or to interfere in elections.

I just find it funny that they suddenly became aware of the "Russian bots" threat only after the 2016 elections, and never after the prior elections.
 
Back
Top