Epidemic (Closed)

He continued to gently scritch behind her ears as he listened to her rant a little and continue to speak. He moved his fingers down to the back of her neck, lingering there before pulling away his hand.

"As much as you seem upset about the military, things aren't quite that bad. Sure, some of them can be overbearing, but we really aren't there to control every aspect of the people's lives. As I had told you before, my team and I were only sent there to get the radio up and running so HQ could be kept aprised of things there. The miltary wants to find a cure for this whole problem as much as you do."

He reached back and pulled out the map as he pulled over to the side of the road. He unfolded the map in front of them so he could figured out where they were.

"And families are a big part of the military as well. The military does it's best to keep soldiers healthly so they can be with their families, even if they have to be apart for a stints at a time."

He smiled for a moment as he looked over at her.

"Seeing this healthy panther of yours could be something that would be able to help everyone out. When we get back from this run, I can send word up the command and see if they want me to go with you as well."

Her ears lowered a bit knowing that she spoke too much about the military. Of course he would be loyal to them and speak for them, yet, he doesn't quite know all the crap they have put her through. They sure do like to control every aspect of her life. However, with him around... perhaps things might change and she might gain more freedom.

"I still don't wish to raise a child there. I don't wish for them to see the things I have seen since they took over the lab...There is a handful of them that are... not so gentle to anyone and other creatures. Especially females... I was just lucky is all. If we have a boy, I don't need him seeing that and thinking it is okay to treat females.. or anyone and creatures that way.. If we have girl... well.. I'm sure you know that fear.."

She put on a fake smile, trying to be positive about this new situation thrown in her life. All she has now is him and needed to learn how to trust him... Which isn't easy for her at all to do. She really didn't want him to see how vulnerable that kind of thinking seriously made her either. Unfortunately, her eyes gave away too much. Especially as a few flashes of memories crept in those few short seconds. Granted things have chilled out since they got things where they want them... Still, there are times when it gets out of hand.

"I'm sorry...I know not all of them are bad... It's just you are new here and don't see the things that I do. When they first came, they destroyed half my lab and killed what few creatures I did have. It wasn't until later they realized their mistake... after it was too late and I had to start over. They haven't given me much of a reason to trust is all... If anything they have made my trust issues worse..."

Again she gave a weak, sad smile as she reached in the glove box for a pencil. Glancing over the map, x'ing where they are now, circling where the lab is. It took her a few seconds to find the right spot, though she circled where the panther is rumored to be. Then of course the area of where the plants were. If they did the route just right, it will circle back to the main lab. Assuming the roads are good for travel.

"There is a radio at the lab that works, my last babysitters set it up... If that would be easier for you. Also, I do not know what the roads are like in either of those directions. I've only ever been on this route between the two labs. I have heard there is a clan here.."

She made a tiny mark, south of where the panther is suppose to be.

"That is how I heard of the panther. I do have one friend in the clan, though she says the leader is... well let's just say he became very power hungry. It changed him and he became pretty self absorbed... However, I can't say for certain what this clan is really like to strangers. I don't know what safe spots there are to rest either."

Watching her mark out on the map for him, he nodded. The route was simple enough and straight forward, barring any problems they might faced.

"It looked like we should reach the lab of yours in a two or three hours. If the radio is in working condition, I'll be able to contact HQ and get clearance. Though we might have to wait a day or two for an answer."

He gave a little chuckle for a moment, knowing that they would probably drag their feet on getting everything in order for the little trip, if they decided to let him go. Command wasn't exactly known for their timely movements of getting things done. After all, her first contact with the military scientists didn't surprise him once bit.

"I have a few ideas on how we could deal with things if trouble does arise in meeting with this clan, but nothing definite. They only thing we can hope is that things go well. Just keep your eye out for trouble."

Having gotten his bearings, he folded the map up before handing it to her to hold. He did leaned over for a moment, kissing her lightly on the kiss before starting up the jeep and getting them back on the road.

It really did surprise her that was willling to on this road trip with her. When it came right down to it, she expected that she would have to ditch him anyway. But, she coudn't deny the fact that he has actually proven to be trustworthy... for now.Like all things in life, the situation could change in a heartbeat. Not knowing if he is playing a trick or not. Yet, the more she considered things, he didn't seem like the type that would play such a horrible trick...

For all she knew, this little road trip is like a vacation for him. A way to take a break from whatever it is he does. Whatever his reasons, she was actually glad for once to have the company. Even if it was forced upon her... After a few moments of being back on the, she turned and started digging in her pack. Eventually pulling out a leather bound notebook and a pen. Soon sitting back down,opening it up asshe seemed lost in thought.

"About last night... We haven't really talked about it. Not that there is much to talk about really... It's just.. Well... I know you went into this knowing I mate for life.. But we really do not know one another.. I-..I do not really expect you.. to stick around.. I will eventually get on your nerves."

She smiled weakly, knowing all her little quirks. Though, she also did consider everything he has been saying. They have talked a little about this, spoke about how the military will keep the apart. All the little subjects indicated that he is in this for the long haul. Deep, down she wasn't too sure if she was ready herself..

"I mean, don't get me wrong.. I enjoyed last night very much. It's just I know myself, I drive people crazy... I will eventually drive you away too. It has happened before.. One of the many reasons I do not have any friends..."

She opened up the notebook to begin writing notes out, slowly writing, while trying to anticipate his answer...

He gave a little shake of his head for a moment as she tried to make up the excuses about what happened last night. It wasn't exactly right of what he did, forcing things for the two of them. However, what was done was done. He had to deal with the consequences and he wasn't one to run away from his mistakes or wrongs.

"I was the one who pushed forward in how things are, forcing myself upon you. I knew what you were saying, but went ahead anyways. That was wrong of me, but I am not going to go anywhere."

He reached over once more, scritching gently along the back of her neck as he continued to speak.

"No matter what happens, I will always be there to support and take care of you. Not that you need to be truly taken care of...You are strong in your own right. I am sure we can work through whatever crops upin terms of trouble."

He continued to scritch softly along the back of her neck, waiting on her response. He soon pulled his hand away to consult the map for a moment as they continued along the road.

Once they had things settled, he decided to open up a bit about himself. He told of how things went for him during the change while at his assigned base. Going through the change himself while watching his fellow soldiers go through it as well. It had been a little scary for him, but he was able to get through. Others were not so lucky, the truma affecting them both physically and mentally. The change wasn't always for the betterment.

Back