Dragon Con

I'm looking at hotels right now... and also, trying to figure out just how the convention is centered. Comic-Con is centered in the Convention Center. Do I read this right that Dragon-Con is actually run in the banquet rooms, etc, of the main hotels?
 
I'm looking at hotels right now... and also, trying to figure out just how the convention is centered. Comic-Con is centered in the Convention Center. Do I read this right that Dragon-Con is actually run in the banquet rooms, etc, of the main hotels?

Banquet rooms, conference rooms, pretty much everything but lodging rooms.

If there is open space, there's a booth or event going on it.
 
I miss Gen Con :( I want to hit the Indy one of these years. Dragon Con looks cool, but why does it have to be happening the first week of class? Bleah! Maybe if I do not take a Thursday night class.... :rolleyes:
 
I'm looking at hotels right now... and also, trying to figure out just how the convention is centered. Comic-Con is centered in the Convention Center. Do I read this right that Dragon-Con is actually run in the banquet rooms, etc, of the main hotels?

no worryies.....these places are huge....not a big as the Ga World Congress Center, but trust they are plenty huge....
 
Well, obviously. But from the Left Coast . . .

Of course, it is fairly direct and less than $250 from my local airport . . . but still, all the way across country? I'll bet there's something comparable a lot closer. Not exactly the same, of course, but close. No?
Kinda-sorta similar, but Dragoncon is more specialler:D
 
I've been to Dragon-Con six times and I have always had a great time. The costume contest, held offsite due to it's extreme popularity last time, is not to be missed. Professionals compete as well and there are some very impressive costumes. The Con provides shuttle service. You can spend the whole time in the hotel complex and never go outside if you choose. There is a skybridge that connects to a mall with a food court. Myself, I always make a trip to Azio's, downtown. A short walk with a lot of trashy hookers for scenery. Great food. Stay out of the strip clubs in the downtown area unless you want your throat cut. I've been in all of them and had to fight in all of them. It's better just to imagine the Princess Leia's naked.

Some of the seminars and speakers they bring are very entertaining. They have a forensic pathologist who works for the Georgia Bureau of Investigation give a presentation every year. The Happiness in Slavery thing was cool the first year, featuring Mr. and Mrs. Leather Georgia. A bunch of bondage afficianadoes came in in their full leather gear to attend. One guy laughed and said, "Hey, we're freaking out the mundanes." I leaned down and said, "Who are you calling mundane? Have you ever fucked a corpse?" I sort of freaked out the leather people and they all moved away from me on the Group W bench.

I don't know who the musical guests are this year, but the Cruxshadows are usually there and they put on a good show. I've seen GWAR and Jefferson Starship there, too. And it's all included in the cost of admission.

Have fun. Wish I was going.
 
I've been to Dragon-Con six times and I have always had a great time. The costume contest, held offsite due to it's extreme popularity last time, is not to be missed. Professionals compete as well and there are some very impressive costumes. The Con provides shuttle service. You can spend the whole time in the hotel complex and never go outside if you choose. There is a skybridge that connects to a mall with a food court. Myself, I always make a trip to Azio's, downtown. A short walk with a lot of trashy hookers for scenery. Great food. Stay out of the strip clubs in the downtown area unless you want your throat cut. I've been in all of them and had to fight in all of them. It's better just to imagine the Princess Leia's naked.

Some of the seminars and speakers they bring are very entertaining. They have a forensic pathologist who works for the Georgia Bureau of Investigation give a presentation every year. The Happiness in Slavery thing was cool the first year, featuring Mr. and Mrs. Leather Georgia. A bunch of bondage afficianadoes came in in their full leather gear to attend. One guy laughed and said, "Hey, we're freaking out the mundanes." I leaned down and said, "Who are you calling mundane? Have you ever fucked a corpse?" I sort of freaked out the leather people and they all moved away from me on the Group W bench.

I don't know who the musical guests are this year, but the Cruxshadows are usually there and they put on a good show. I've seen GWAR and Jefferson Starship there, too. And it's all included in the cost of admission.

Have fun. Wish I was going.


DUDE!

I so wanna party with you, Cowboy!

And yeah the better strip clubs are NOT downtown.
 
Since I'm a huge geek, I go to cons all the time. They moved GenCon to Indy from Milwaukee and I've only been once. Even though it's only fifty miles from me. It's not that GenCon is bad. It's just not as good once you've been to a Dragon Con. You're less likely to get killed downtown in Indy than in Atlanta, though.
 
Since I'm a huge geek, I go to cons all the time. They moved GenCon to Indy from Milwaukee and I've only been once. Even though it's only fifty miles from me. It's not that GenCon is bad. It's just not as good once you've been to a Dragon Con. You're less likely to get killed downtown in Indy than in Atlanta, though.

Atlanta's not as bad as the news makes it sound. I've been in some the seedier sides of town. And the hotels Dragon*Con are at are in a better part of the city. Cose enough to MARTA stations to be a safe walk and get to anything worth seeing for $1.25 (might be up again, been way too long since I've been on MARTA).
 
Atlanta's not as bad as the news makes it sound. I've been in some the seedier sides of town. And the hotels Dragon*Con are at are in a better part of the city. Cose enough to MARTA stations to be a safe walk and get to anything worth seeing for $1.25 (might be up again, been way too long since I've been on MARTA).

That's what I was gonna say. Downtown Atlanta's actually pretty nice.
 
If we can make the airfare work, Imp and I will actually be hitting both Dragon-Con AND Comic-Con this year...

...course, we don't need to pay for a hotel in San Diego. That helps.


Hmmmm. Hey Sal...
 
If we can make the airfare work, Imp and I will actually be hitting both Dragon-Con AND Comic-Con this year...

...course, we don't need to pay for a hotel in San Diego. That helps.


Hmmmm. Hey Sal...

If I am in my own place by Sept, I'll have plenty of room for you guys. I just need a good lawyer and an after school job, or a winning lottery ticket.

Preferably the lottery ticket.
 
Back
Top