does size matter in romance?

big_cane_sugar

Literotica Guru
Joined
Nov 25, 2019
Posts
586
I'm sure this has been discussed before but I couldn't find it.

What I'm wondering is how long a story -- ahem, a story, y'all, a story -- can be in the Romance category before readers lose interest. Like, are novel-length things welcome?

I've got a story that, well, just keeps getting bigger and bigger. Seems like it'll be more pleasing that way. That is, if anyone actually wants to try to take in a monster like this...
 
Personally, I think novel-length might be a reasonable limit if there's nothing else besides the romance and smut to keep it going.
 
I'm sure this has been discussed before but I couldn't find it.

What I'm wondering is how long a story -- ahem, a story, y'all, a story -- can be in the Romance category before readers lose interest. Like, are novel-length things welcome?

I've got a story that, well, just keeps getting bigger and bigger. Seems like it'll be more pleasing that way. That is, if anyone actually wants to try to take in a monster like this...
This is a length issue more than a size issue, but according to the interweb, romance novels average around 50K-70K. So if your writing is good enough, they can be that long.
 
I'm sure this has been discussed before but I couldn't find it.

What I'm wondering is how long a story -- ahem, a story, y'all, a story -- can be in the Romance category before readers lose interest. Like, are novel-length things welcome?

I've got a story that, well, just keeps getting bigger and bigger. Seems like it'll be more pleasing that way. That is, if anyone actually wants to try to take in a monster like this...
Within certain limits, size doesn't matter in that case either.
 
Write what you'd like to read. That's the surest way to find an audience.

If you'd read it? Someone else will, too. So if it's not too long to hold your interest, it's not too long at all.
 
Everyone is sexy in some way. Body shape and size. Personality and adventurous nature. That an old guys experience anyway.
 
I'm just throwing my two cents in for the hell of it.

Here's my four ranges of word count and how I judge them.

Also, this really applies to all categories.

If a story has a title, description, and tags that interest me, here's the ranges of word count that contribute to whether I do or don't decide to give it a chance.

For a story that's under 2k words, I probably won't consider clicking on it because in my own experience of reading erotica, it's going to lack depth, and most likely be a brief or rushed account of something that happened.

If a story is around 3k to 10k words, I'm mostly likely to click on it. Mainly because if the story isn't something I can get heavily invested in, it's still short enough for me to power through it and appreciate the parts of it I enjoyed. It asks the least from me, and often pays off.

If the story is somewhere near or between 15k to 50k words, I'll likely give it a chance, but I will be going into it with higher expectations, and if it doesn't hook me after one or two Lit pages I'll be quick to abandon it.

And when I story is way up there, like 100k and and beyond, I'm most likely not giving it a chance. On the rare occasion that I would give it a chance, it would have to hook my within the first or second Lit page.

Bonus opinions. If it's a "Part 1" and "Part 2" and so on type of situation, I'll read part one and if doesn't give me that "Episode" feeling and just gives of "Chopped Up Novel" vibes I'll stop reading and not come back for future parts.

I'm me, and I approve this message.
 
If you didn't intend a double entendre, you wouldn't've used size; you'd've used length! And yes, size matters, but it depends on whether it's an SPH or BBC/BWC story (maybe it's both).
 
Back
Top