Does anyone else do this?

When I'm getting ready to continue writing a story, I use a text to speech website to read me back what I've already done. Sometimes I only read back what I wrote last session. Other times I get it to read the entire text, from start to current finish.

Anyone else do something similar?

I do it "old school" I'll read what I wrote to my wife. I catch some mistakes that way, and get a better feel for how it flows, and at times also get the "Jeez, what was I thinking here" and I'll change things before I move on. My wife's great for feedback as well. An eye roll or a sigh is the "Really?" a little smile and lipsuck tells me its working. That and questions like "wait, why would they say/do that?" its far more of a help than a program.

I normally just read & edit what I wrote last. I tend to leave quite a few continuity break markers throughout the text so it’s always pretty easy to find a self-contained chunk that eases me back into the flow.

I tried that and found it unsatisfactory. It gave me no sense of the rhythm or flow of what I had written.

It's another tool in my proofreading toolbox. It helps me to catch word choice errors and clunky sentences, but it's not the only thing I rely on.

I've tried in the past, and it can help, but I find text-to-speech tools don't catch the nuance or rhythm of language quite like a real person. Unlike some people here, I can't share what I'm writing out loud to another person either. Not during the writing process, at least (I might go over passages aloud with my editor later).

So I just read it in my head. Sometimes if I'm feeling bold I'll read it out loud, but only to myself.

I don't do any of that anymore, although I think it's all a good idea to do it. I used to read the stories aloud to myself, but I confess I don't do any of that anymore either.

Does anyone else do this?​

This has probably been the single greatest contributory factor in the reduction of glaring typos in my stories. I do it all the time. I agree you get something else from reading it yourself, but a useful and complementary tool.

Emily

What Emily said. Text-to-speech is invaluable in catching typos, awkward phrasing, etc. Plus, to a limited extent it takes you out of author mode and puts you into reader mode, which gives a sense of how the story will sound to your audience.

I hate being read to, and even more so by a computer. So never. I hear it in my head when I read through anyway.

Once to write, another to edit and put the punctuation in, re-read sections and the whole thing ideally a couple weeks later, then edit formatting on my desktop in a different font, which means I end up reading random sections, a spell check, and then paste it into the Lit page and preview it (nearly made a mistake in the title when I submitted one yesterday!) Seems to work well enough. When I'm not sure about a structure, I try to get a beta reader to take a look.

It's my final step of proofreading before sending it off for a second set of eyes to look over, but I never do it mid-draft. I'll read back through what I've written mid-draft sometimes, but I don't put it through TTS except at the end.

It's enough of a struggle to find time when the house is quiet to do it once.

Reading your own stories aloud, just to yourself, is by far the best way to catch problems of clarity and flow. If you stumble over a sentence while reading aloud, your reader will probably stumble over it in their head.

Back