Deep Adaptation

adrina

Heretic
Joined
Feb 27, 2017
Posts
25,430
What do you mean by social collapse?

By the term “social collapse” I mean to imply an uneven ending of normal modes of sustenance, security, pleasure, identity, meaning, and hope. For some people these needs may be met in new ways. I say “social” or “societal” rather than economic or environmental, as these uneven endings will pervade society, and challenge our place within it. For instance, being a Professor won’t be much use anymore. But being myself might be.

When will that come?

Some say collapse has already begun and can point to the role of the unprecedented drought in Syria since 2010 in destabilising rural communities and creating conditions for extremism, war, and refugees. Others point to the growth in rebellious attitudes amongst electorates as indicating a widespread subconscious recognition that normal is over. But if we are talking about social collapse as I have defined it, and in the Western hemisphere, which is of interest to most who ask the question of when, then obviously that is not happening yet. How long it will take is impossible to say in complex systems. Given the impacts on food shortages, a few more Northern Hemisphere summers like this year and the return of a strong El Nino in Asia, could trigger social collapse in some countries, if we don’t respond at such a time with bold and imaginative compassion.

It’s difficult to process these ideas without a clear idea on when. So, I have sought to reconcile myself with the idea that I will see social collapse happening in the West in less than 10 years. That’s not a prediction and I hope that’s wrong. I hope we manage to delay things by massive changes in policies and behaviours. And by seeding Arctic clouds, immediately. But, as a thought experiment, as someone in their mid-40s, I am now exploring what a 10-year life expectancy makes me prioritize in life. And when I meet who wish to discuss this topic, I recommend they do the same. For parents of young children that can be particularly difficult. But denial or despair won’t help them.


https://www*****worth.com/deepadaptation.pdf

https://jembendell.wordpress.com/2018/08/10/dialogue-on-deep-adaptation/

Last report said 12 years for a time limit for avoiding that 1.5 C increase. This is not good news.
 
Pay a steep price, now.
Or, pay a steeper price, later.

Then, again who will be paying the price, and with what ?
 
Its the Rapture

Yes, indeed. The apocalypse and subsequent rapture prophesy was Secretary of Interior James Watts' explicit reason for trashing the environment under a former Repugnican administration. The current administration also conveniently uses the Bible to justify ripping off the earth's resources to make a fast buck, while damning ecological sustainability for future generations.

The gradual collapse of society and the boom-and-bust cycles of the stock market are hallmarks of Repugnican administrations. They may be pushing us past the tipping point this time.
 
Everyone dies eventually, I'm at peace with that (I'm not looking forward to it) but when it happens, it happens. I just don't want to get raped in the butt before my time, or the mouth. So, if fighting climate change saves my ass, I'm all for it.
 
Now I get it.
Yeah, it's marginally warmer some years but nothing catastrophic, but the shrieks from the doomsday crowd keep getting louder and louder while the political agenda they push is more of the same old socialist/communist crap that leads to totalitarianism, huge, inefficient (and eventually brutal) government), and the general societal decline mentioned in the OP.
Also mentioned in the OP: food shortages from the changing climate.
Food shortages are a very real possibility if collectivist farming practices replace the mostly free market system we have now that produces such an abundance of food.
And (TA-DA!) the socialist/communists who will be in charge can blame it on that nasty old climate change as we all go hungry while we stand in line waiting for free medical care.
Funny, though, that the weather isn't really any different than it was 10 or 15 or even 100 years ago.
 
*chuckle*



Some people just naturally gravitate towards doom and gloom and focus on the worst possible outcomes.

It's the same mentality that used to use the fear of Hell to modify behavior.

Pushing off Santa Clause on children.

You want coal???
 
So none of you think that what this guy is saying has any merit or real plausibility?
 
Not once you get to talking about seeding clouds.

Reminds me of the calls to soot Antarctica in order to stave off global cooling.
 
So... in essence you just read the posted blurb, didn't bother with the article and dismissed everything based around one item.

However it's easier to think that it's all going to be okay and that we aren't facing any kind of crisis. To be honest I have absolutely no idea about cloud seeding. But I do know about climate pattern destabilization, pollution, rampant consumerism and wastefulness, extinction events, insect numbers plunging, rising ocean levels, shrinking ice, warming oceans, desertification, drought and all of the other warning signs.

I was just curious if anyone else thought that this was a dire situation.

Apparently not.
 
So... in essence you just read the posted blurb, didn't bother with the article and dismissed everything based around one item.

However it's easier to think that it's all going to be okay and that we aren't facing any kind of crisis. To be honest I have absolutely no idea about cloud seeding. But I do know about climate pattern destabilization, pollution, rampant consumerism and wastefulness, extinction events, insect numbers plunging, rising ocean levels, shrinking ice, warming oceans, desertification, drought and all of the other warning signs.

I was just curious if anyone else thought that this was a dire situation.

Apparently not.

1. The chances are that if there indeed is a global weather destabilization occurring, man has zero hope of fixing it. Also, any attempt at trying to fix it would probably make it worse.
2. You seriously claim to be an expert in climate destabilization? :)
3. As far as the earth is concerned, man is just another invasive organism. How can any political party with suck a disregard for human life and believes it's ok to murder babies worry so much about an unlikely event?
4. Rampant consumerism? How much stuff do you own? :)
5. China has so many insects they're making people eat them. :)
6. Really, who's the say the new climate wouldn't be so much better.
 
So... in essence you just read the posted blurb, didn't bother with the article and dismissed everything based around one item.

However it's easier to think that it's all going to be okay and that we aren't facing any kind of crisis. To be honest I have absolutely no idea about cloud seeding. But I do know about climate pattern destabilization, pollution, rampant consumerism and wastefulness, extinction events, insect numbers plunging, rising ocean levels, shrinking ice, warming oceans, desertification, drought and all of the other warning signs.

I was just curious if anyone else thought that this was a dire situation.

Apparently not.


They must stay in GB character, like sheep, and mustn't waver. People are so extra on here.
 
1. The chances are that if there indeed is a global weather destabilization occurring, man has zero hope of fixing it. Also, any attempt at trying to fix it would probably make it worse.
2. You seriously claim to be an expert in climate destabilization? :)
3. As far as the earth is concerned, man is just another invasive organism. How can any political party with suck a disregard for human life and believes it's ok to murder babies worry so much about an unlikely event?
4. Rampant consumerism? How much stuff do you own? :)
5. China has so many insects they're making people eat them. :)
6. Really, who's the say the new climate wouldn't be so much better.


1. Man can alleviate the problems of human induced global warming. Your idiotic leader wishes to reverse the progress that has been made in recent years. Google is your friend.


2. You are an expert in being an annoying gnat and troll as well as Matty the racist's knob slobber and Que's dick rubber.

3. Being pro-life and pro-choice has nothing to do with political party, but more to do with ideology. If we want to get down and dirty, why do so many Repugs wish to control the reproductive system of adult women, yet once that baby busts out of the womb, they don't give a shit? Why do Repugs wish to cut off vital social programs for that child when he shoots out of the vag?

4. You're broke in mind and spirit.

5. You should stick to posting about insects, like discussing how butterflies fuck.

6. Stay out of science discussions, you are too stupid for words. I've reached my quota for the day with you.
 
Last edited:
You're getting mighty colorful with the deplorables lately. :D



I honestly think that we are at the point where humanity and our systems are too large to make the necessary adaptations as quickly as they will need to be made. The problem is that ecosystem collapse isn't something we've really dealt with. I think we are closer to it than we realize.
 
You're getting mighty colorful with the deplorables lately. :D



I honestly think that we are at the point where humanity and our systems are too large to make the necessary adaptations as quickly as they will need to be made. The problem is that ecosystem collapse isn't something we've really dealt with. I think we are closer to it than we realize.

You want to deal with a nonexisting problem? :)
 
Youre flogging a dead horse. These people are so brainwashed its pointless to have a rational debate about it.

So... in essence you just read the posted blurb, didn't bother with the article and dismissed everything based around one item.

However it's easier to think that it's all going to be okay and that we aren't facing any kind of crisis. To be honest I have absolutely no idea about cloud seeding. But I do know about climate pattern destabilization, pollution, rampant consumerism and wastefulness, extinction events, insect numbers plunging, rising ocean levels, shrinking ice, warming oceans, desertification, drought and all of the other warning signs.

I was just curious if anyone else thought that this was a dire situation.

Apparently not.
 
adrina just gobbles up liberal media and shits it right back out. That's all this thread is.
 
^The Canadian racist walked into the room. Strangely when Ann comes in, this creature follows, vice versa.
 
Back
Top