Common language

JuanSeiszFitzHall

yet another
G.B. Shaw is credited with the witticism that the United Kingdom and the United States are two countries separated by a common language. If this is a problem, let’s fix it!

This thread is intended to help writers (and readers) understand the differences in spelling, usage, and colloquialisms among the various flavors of the English language, mainly the British and American types. Yet there are differences within each group, and this thread also welcomes other Anglophones (Australian, Canadian, Caribbean, African, South Asian, etc.) to seek and provide information for the benefit of all.

I would be classed as a Yank (despite never having lived in the Northeast of the U.S.), and my main goal is to understand what I read from authors with other usage backgrounds. I don’t expect to write from the perspective of an Aussie or a Brit, because I’d surely stumble somewhere along the way. But more adventurous authors may have this goal, so I wish them well.

I’m already aware of some obvious differences, such as Yanks using ‘Mom’ and Brits using ‘Mum,’ but I scratch my head over what may be tech terms or recent slang in the U.K., and I’m sure the converse is true. An exchange of PMs about a year ago, between me and Kumquatqueen, appeared to surprise both of us as we found that some terms we thought were universal turned out be local.

Here are a couple items with which I’ll start this:

* Is the British reference to ‘mains,’ apparently as an energy source, what a Yank would think of as ‘house current?’ As in, the electricity (110 or 120 volts?) available from a wall outlet, into which one would plug an appliance? (Yes, many dirty jokes are possible here, because this is a smut-writing site, but let’s deal with the literal meaning first.) Where I live, the term ‘water main’ is common, but ‘power main’ seems to have become archaic.

* I haven’t looked at this too closely, but is the difference in the endings of some abstract nouns (favor/flavour, colour/color) fading away? In the U.K., is the ‘-our’ ending falling out of, um, favor?

* Is the British reference to ‘mains,’ apparently as an energy source, what a Yank would think of as ‘house current?’
I've never once heard it referred to as "house current". It's just electricity or electrical service.

The electric company may call the distribution lines 'mains', but most people just call them power lines, since overhead lines are the most common way of transmitting and attaching to homes.

"Mains" has been UK usage to me since I was a wee lad, denoting a 240VAC wall tap. Wall outlet power in the US? Nothing consistent comes to mind, although "110V plug-in" seems to bubble up in product instructions and similar.

What makes you think that '-our' is falling out of favour? 😆 I have frequent correspondence with Canadian friends and they always use '-our', even one guy born and raised in the US. I read BBC news every day, and the US coverage always has '-our' even when it's apparently a US-based reporter.

I've never once heard it referred to as "house current". It's just electricity or electrical service.

The electric company may call the distribution lines 'mains', but most people just call them power lines, since overhead lines are the most common way of transmitting and attaching to homes.
It's the thingy on the wall you plug into.

Is the British reference to ‘mains,’ apparently as an energy source, what a Yank would think of as ‘house current?’

When I think of "mains" in reference to electricity, what comes to mind for me is circuit breakers, IE the main power switches.

Wall outlets are generally just "outlets," or even more commonly yet inaccurately, "plugs."

Americans disdain diphthongs

Actually, just dips in thongs...

* Is the British reference to ‘mains,’ apparently as an energy source, what a Yank would think of as ‘house current?’ As in, the electricity (110 or 120 volts?) available from a wall outlet, into which one would plug an appliance? (Yes, many dirty jokes are possible here, because this is a smut-writing site, but let’s deal with the literal meaning first.) Where I live, the term ‘water main’ is common, but ‘power main’ seems to have become archaic.

Where I'm from, it's usually just referred to as a "power line", either above ground or below ground. The standard house is wired for 120V 60Hz AC power. When I lived in Germany in the early 80's, we had to buy a drop down transformer (240V 50Hz to 120V 50Hz) for our American manufactured appliances and electronics. If you had a record player (turntable) you had to buy an adaptor for the mechanism that spun the platter to make up for the 10Hz loss in turntable speed. If you didn't, your records sounded funny.

Our house is wired for both 120V and 240V. 120V for the regular household appliances and 240V for an electric clothes dryer. I don't know if all houses are done that way, though.

As an aside, I've been told that the usual voltage reading is in the neighborhood of 117V AC, but I've never measured it myself. I guess they just rounded it up.

As an aside, I've been told that the usual voltage reading is in the neighborhood of 117V AC, but I've never measured it myself. I guess they just rounded it up.
It can vary up to 10 volts up or down from 110v. Doesn't really affect much.

It's the thingy on the wall you plug into.
Yeah, but it's a long trail from the plug back to wherever the generating facility is. Anything fails along the way . . . I've lived through three major blackouts in New York: 1965 (I was ten), 1977, and 2003. The last one was fun because I was stuck in a PATH train under the Hudson River. (All the lights remained on.) Eventually, we had to walk along the tracks to an emergency exit up to the West Side Highway.

Lorry/truck

boot/trunk

Tabling a bill in British Parliament is bringing it forward for consideration; tabling a bill in the American Congress is deadending it.

When I think of "mains" in reference to electricity, what comes to mind for me is circuit breakers, IE the main power switches.

Wall outlets are generally just "outlets," or even more commonly yet inaccurately, "plugs."
I never thought we'd spend so much time in AH discussing power supply. It's a weird place, indeed. Speaking of electricity, what would you could call this in Britain? (Manchester, in fact.)

https://www.railtechnologymagazine....ter_metrolink_TfGM_tram_c._George_Standen.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, but it's a long trail from the plug back to wherever the generating facility is. Anything fails along the way . . . I've lived through three major blackouts in New York: 1965 (I was ten), 1977, and 2003. The last one was fun because I was stuck in a PATH train under the Hudson River. (All the lights remained on.) Eventually, we had to walk along the tracks to an emergency exit up to the West Side Highway.
We have little blackouts in most winters. One town, Weatherford, was without power for a month or five weeks when I was a teen. The town I lived in was without power for a full week. Pop drove in every day to the theater, waiting for the power to come back on at the theater, and then came home at night. I wanted to go with him, but the theater was freezing, so he wouldn't let me. Oddly, we never lost power at our place, three miles outside of town. But we had a generator if we had and the theater had nothing. I was 14 or 15, don't remember which. It was my first or second winter with them. I think it was the second. I wasn't running away often by the time.

Cool idea for a thread. However, aside from the OP, very few posters are bothering to tell us where they are from as they express their opinions!

As an American, I always find it disconcerting to hear about someone studying "maths" in school. We just study "math" over here.

I never thought we'd spend so much time in AH discussing power supply. It's a weird place, indeed. Speaking of electricity, what would you could call this in Britain? (Manchester, in fact.)

https://www.railtechnologymagazine....ter_metrolink_TfGM_tram_c._George_Standen.jpg
The Metrolink is a tram service. The yellow thing is a tram, running on rails with overhead power cables.

Using my English English: Things can be battery-powered or mains-powered. (Vibrators, for example). You might mention needing to plug something into the mains, but generally only to specify that it's not running off batteries or a generator. Usually you'd say it needed plugging in at the wall or into a socket.

Tabling items meaning the opposite in US and UK English is a common source of confusion.

One big difference is Americans use the simple past more in speech, Brits use past participles more.

"Did you eat yet?" - probably American
"I ate already" - probably not a Brit

"Have you eaten?" -probably Brit
"I've had my dinner" probably not American

"You'll have had your tea" - stereotype of Edinburgh...

Phrase never uttered by Brits: "electric kettle" - a kettle (mains-powered) is such a default item in every home and hotel room that it doesn't need to be distinguished from a fish-kettle or the phrase "arse over tea-kettle" - the only time the word tea-kettle is used. A stovetop kettle is only for decoration nowadays. I've used one once in my life, in a holiday home, and by day 2 we went and bought a new kettle. Turned out previous guests had destroyed/stolen the old one.

Also kettles don't shriek or whistle when they boil - they bubble and switch themselves off like sensible appliances.

Cool idea for a thread. However, aside from the OP, very few posters are bothering to tell us where they are from as they express their opinions!

As an American, I always find it disconcerting to hear about someone studying "maths" in school. We just study "math" over here.
Oklahoma, where we have terms like yontto, oveyonder, thataway, aferpeice, and yestiday.

Is the British reference to ‘mains,’ apparently as an energy source, what a Yank would think of as ‘house current?
I've stayed with friends and ex's all over England.
From Liverpool to Birmingham to South-End to Dorset to Warwickshire, etc.
I've never once heard the term "Mains" to describe electricity. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I'm sure some people do, but I personally never heard that one before.

The obvious ones like....
"Mum" for "Mom"
"Fag" for "Cigarette"
"Bangers and Mashed" for "Sausage and Potatoes"
"Spaghetti Bolognese" for "Spaghetti"
"Fanny" for "pussy"

For the record.....I'm from the Great State of Ohio. (y) (y) (y)

Last edited:
Where I'm from, it's usually just referred to as a "power line", either above ground or below ground. The standard house is wired for 120V 60Hz AC power. When I lived in Germany in the early 80's, we had to buy a drop down transformer (240V 50Hz to 120V 50Hz) for our American manufactured appliances and electronics. If you had a record player (turntable) you had to buy an adaptor for the mechanism that spun the platter to make up for the 10Hz loss in turntable speed. If you didn't, your records sounded funny.
If you accidentally touch a 60Hz mains, your nervous system "grabs" the cable and you can't let go, and like as not, you're dead.

If you accidentally touch a 50Hz mains, the nervous reaction is the opposite, you "let go" and your hand flies away.

So you're more likely to die from electrocution in America, despite the mains voltage being only half that of most other countries in the world. That's engineers for ya ;).

The plural makes it sound like there were more of them. One was more than enough for me. I majored in English for a reason.
Math wasn't my strongest subject, no matter how many of them there were. Maybe I just forgot to add one, and it was maths the whole time.:oops:

We plug a thingy into a socket...

Back