Capitalization question

madelinemasoch

Masoch's 2nd Cumming
Do you capitalize nicknames, especially that are multiple words long? If one character refers to another as "little loser boy" for example, do I capitalize that? Thanks.

Only if it's a repeated nickname. If a character just calls someone "little loser boy", that's not enough to warrant a capitalisation - but that's because it's not a nickname yet.

If it is repeated multiple times, then yes. Little Loser Boy.

I similarly capitalise titles for characters. Captain Smith becomes "the Captain". But on the other hand, Mr. Tanabe (a composer) is just "the composer" (not capitalised), because it's not a name or title for him - it's just a descriptor.

Do you capitalize nicknames, especially that are multiple words long? If one character refers to another as "little loser boy" for example, do I capitalize that? Thanks.

If it's just occasional, I wouldn't. If it's being regularly, effectively becoming a substitute name, then yes.

"Come here, little loser boy" - this to me reads more like an insult than a name, so no caps.

"Next week I'm going to have Little Loser Boy and Dave over for dinner" - this comes across more like a name.

I guess one rule of thumb might be: if you were saving this person's number in your contacts, would you use that nickname as their name?

In a D&S context there's also the "lower case to indicate submissive" thing. I don't go for that myself, but for those who do, that might be a reason to use lower case for something that would otherwise be capitalised.

Depends on the characters and their relationship. My recurring Female Main Character Lisa calls my recurring Male Main Character Doug Hero, I'll always capitalize that. If it's a girl of the story calling someone she just picked up dear or darling in the heat of the moment, I leave that uncapitalized. Come to think of it, I don't use a lot of nicknames. Hero for Doug, Lisa's sister Stephanie calls him Dougie, those are the only recurring ones. Huh.

If it's used as a direct substitute for a real name/person, then yes. (Chicago Manual of Style 16, 8:33)

Back