Ask the Mouse your lingerie questions...

Yup. Although small doesn't always mean easier to size. Sometimes (often) I end up spending more, because I'm smaller busted.

I've posted this on another thread. I've found that the cheap bras that work best for me can be found in the "juniors" department of the Super Kmarts (the smaller ones don't have them). Those of you who have small busts might want to give them a try.

Average Breast Cup Size in the World - map

Interesting. I wonder how they collected the data.

Ohhhhh not even close.

Edited -

The reason I say "not even close" is that the average American woman thinks she's a 36C or D, more often than not. If the data was collected by sales figures, then the majority of bras sold would be a C or a D.

9 times out of 10, a woman who told me she was a 36C or D, was actually anywhere between a 30G and 34F.

The map also claims ALL of Asia is larger than a D. Seriously? The population of China has larger breasts than all of North and South America? WTH?

Last edited:
I wonder if they rendered the cup sizes to a "standard" band and that's how they got the average size. Like a 34D is more or less the same cup size as 36C and so on. If they didn't, the map doesn't make any sense at all. I can't remember how many times I've had to explain to people that the cup size letters are not standard measurements and it's impossible to compare them letter to letter.

I've always thought boobs here on average are larger than in many other European countries, and the map seems to confirm that.

Only Russia in Asia has larger than a D cup. The rest of the Asia has A or B cups, China has an A cup.

I wonder if they rendered the cup sizes to a "standard" band and that's how they got the average size. Like a 34D is more or less the same cup size as 36C and so on. If they didn't, the map doesn't make any sense at all. I can't remember how many times I've had to explain to people that the cup size letters are not standard measurements and it's impossible to compare them letter to letter.

I've always thought boobs here on average are larger than in many other European countries, and the map seems to confirm that.

Only Russia in Asia has larger than a D cup. The rest of the Asia has A or B cups, China has an A cup.

That's what I get for skimming the map. My bad. :eek:

I get the idea that they might have looked at the information from a standard band perspective, but that makes no sense - because the under wire is graded to each specific band size. I bet they simply put out a survey and asked women what size they wore... and alllllll that incorrect sizing went into the data pool.

That's what I get for skimming the map. My bad. :eek:

I get the idea that they might have looked at the information from a standard band perspective, but that makes no sense - because the under wire is graded to each specific band size. I bet they simply put out a survey and asked women what size they wore... and alllllll that incorrect sizing went into the data pool.

That's usually how penis surveys work as well. My friends and I had the bright idea to make a survey-site for males to input their penis and testicle sizes along with a vast amount of other statistics to gauge fertility, lifestyles, etc...etc...

Then we realized "dickbook" was already taken and lost interest.

Yes! I came across this thread from another thread and a proper bra fitting does WONDERS! Let me tell you how: I would get my bras from Fredricks of Hollywood and after a while, I realized that I'd still have boob spillage over the top so while talking to a friend she suggested I go to Nordstrom to get fitted. The sales lady took me to a fitting room and was on point. The moment she saw how my bra fitted, she knew what size I really needed.

I went from a 40DD at Fredricks to a UK 34G, I mostly wear bras by Freya and Fantasie. Then I lost weight and went back for another fitting but I was still the same size since I have one that's a little larger than the other. I do own 2 of the Freya sports bras that have underwire to them and I love them. (I've gained weight again so I could use another fitting but I'm broker than broke at the moment.)

I usually go to Nordstrom during their half yearly sales for women to pick up extra bras. And for the most part http://www.lindasonline.com/ has decent sales on their bras too.

ill just echo what mindlessfruit said: a true, proper fitting can do a world of difference! i think sometimes we girls get into our heads that we're "supposed" to be a certain bra size--whatever that means for each individual. to actually have a professional tell you their point of view is worth its weight in gold!

Ok so my mom always told me that I should never ever ever dry my bras in the dryer. I have little mesh bags that I was and dry them in so the straps don't get tangled around the rest of the laundry and stretched out, but should I really be line drying ALL of my bras? Even the cotton ones?

Ok so my mom always told me that I should never ever ever dry my bras in the dryer. I have little mesh bags that I was and dry them in so the straps don't get tangled around the rest of the laundry and stretched out, but should I really be line drying ALL of my bras? Even the cotton ones?

You really should be line drying anything fragile/delicate. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE having a dryer available...but I only use it for sturdy clothing and casual clothing (and towels and sheets and things like that).

You really should be line drying anything fragile/delicate. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE having a dryer available...but I only use it for sturdy clothing and casual clothing (and towels and sheets and things like that).

I check care tags and anything that calls for line drying, I will. The bras all say they're dryer safe on low heat except for the lacy ones, which I hang dry. My mom says though that the dryer will heat and warp the underwire and also destroy the elastic. I'm lazy and I don't have much hanging room in my apartment so I just wanted to see if she was telling me the truth or just being a mom.

I check care tags and anything that calls for line drying, I will. The bras all say they're dryer safe on low heat except for the lacy ones, which I hang dry. My mom says though that the dryer will heat and warp the underwire and also destroy the elastic. I'm lazy and I don't have much hanging room in my apartment so I just wanted to see if she was telling me the truth or just being a mom.

She was telling the truth. I'm lazy too so every once in a while when I'm in a rush I'll throw my bras in the dryer too but i'll try to do it on low heat. You're also supposed to hand was bras and I do that sometimes too. If I put them in the washing machine, I'll use my lingerie garment bags. Target sells them for super cheap. There are also soaps specifically for washing delicates. I have a powder version from Macy's and a liquid one from Nordstrom. I haven't decided which one I like better yet.

Even low heat in the dryer will deteriorate the elastic faster, reducing the life of the bra. Plus, the underwire tips are always dipped in plasti-dip to protect them from cutting through the fabric and into your skin... dryer heat = melted tips = broken bra.

You can machine wash in cold water (delicate cycle), in a lingerie bag, hooks closed, with wash designed for lingerie/ synthetics - no Woolite, no fabric softener.

Most lingerie departments should have their own branded wash, or the industry standard is a brand called Forever New.

I tend to wash everything in the machine, and air dry. Ideally they say you should hand wash, but I've never done so. (It really freaks people out to hear you put $150 panties in the washing machine. LOL)

I've ceased wearing bras with underwire because I've never been able to find one where the underwire didn't poke me in the ribs in some shape, form, or fashion. I've always just machine-washed and dried without abandon, but the washing machine and dryer are a lot kinder to wireless bras.

Even low heat in the dryer will deteriorate the elastic faster, reducing the life of the bra. Plus, the underwire tips are always dipped in plasti-dip to protect them from cutting through the fabric and into your skin... dryer heat = melted tips = broken bra.

You can machine wash in cold water (delicate cycle), in a lingerie bag, hooks closed, with wash designed for lingerie/ synthetics - no Woolite, no fabric softener.

Most lingerie departments should have their own branded wash, or the industry standard is a brand called Forever New.

I tend to wash everything in the machine, and air dry. Ideally they say you should hand wash, but I've never done so. (It really freaks people out to hear you put $150 panties in the washing machine. LOL)

I machine wash in cold on delicate (almost no agitation) and hang to dry and it prolongs the life of the bras and undies.

It does freak people out, though, so I don't talk about it. My mother taught me about laundry. She machine washed my wedding dress and hung in on the line to dry. :eek: All the buttons and trim would have dissolved in the drycleaning solution, anyway.

I've just realized I've only had two decent bras who fit in my entire life. To be fair though, I did spend a good deal of my adolescence having this weird allergy and all my dermatologists always told me to only wear cotton bras without dye. That and the fact that I've always hated under wire resulted in some crappy bras.

Cutie Mouse, I can't wear underwire do to scar tissue but really need the molded cups to compensate for some shape issues. Can you recommend a bra that is underwire free and doesn't look like something my grandmother would wear?

Cutie Mouse, I can't wear underwire do to scar tissue but really need the molded cups to compensate for some shape issues. Can you recommend a bra that is underwire free and doesn't look like something my grandmother would wear?

Scar tissue is a beast. :( The biggest challenge is that in order for a bra to fit properly, it has to really hug the chest wall - which means pushing against scar tissue.

Getting a non-grandma contour bra without a wire, may be difficult; how difficult depends on sizing. The most comfortable option I could suggest (if you are a D-ish or smaller) would be a racer back lace bralette by Cosabella or a non-underwire by Hanro. Neither will have a contour though.

The most success I've had with women in your situation, is to get rid of the contour, and use the engineering of a bra in your favor. It's almost miraculous what happens with the right cut and construction. Sometimes inserts need to be utilized to balance things out, but 9 times out of 10, I've been able to achieve the balance with just the right bra.

I've had some luck with fitting around scar tissue, if additional felting is added to the under wire to create a thicker "cushion" between the wire and the scar tissue. I usually see craft felt used for this purpose, but I'd suggest micro-fleece, instead it'll be much much more comfortable than traditional felt.

Another option is to buy the proper fit/cut in a bra with an under wire and simply have a seamstress remove the wires. It'll change the shape and lift (you'll sit a little "wider" and slightly lower), but the support should still be better than a "make do" grandma bra.

Alright, this is a boob question and not a lingerie question, but it's worth a try:

Do you know anything about lipo breast reductions and have you seen results first hand?

I'm seriously considering it a few years down the road as a way to possibly help mitigate long-term tissue damage from chest compression. I want my to have my cake and eat it too-- boobs sometimes, flattish, 'uniboob' chest other times, so top surgery isn't appealing to me at all. I understand that wearing a good-fitting bra as often as possible will help, but do you know if smaller breasts are less susceptible to tissue damage and drift than bigger ones?

"Boob questions" are part of the territory. ;)

I have seen some horrendous breast reductions over the years. I've seen some excellent work, but (to be honest) I've seen far more bad work than good.

Now, that doesn't mean don't research it, or don't do it! But I do *strongly* suggest interviewing multiple surgeons, and walking into each meeting as educated as possible.

Plastic surgeons think of breast tissue in cc's - which can cause communication issues. I used to always suggest to clients that they book an appointment with me to "try new sizes" before talking to their surgeon. I'd grab a variety of contour bras (cup size) that matched their band (back) size, and we'd play. I'd put them in a properly fitted current size bra and a tank top, and we'd hold each smaller size up in profile, so they'd be able to visualize their "new" size.

We'd talk about the pros and cons of each option, and when they found the size they were most comfortable with, they'd buy that bra and take it to their surgeon as a visual aid in discussing their surgical goals.

The most common issue I saw in what I consider to be "bad" reductions, was that surgeons would reduce the tissue from the front (projection), but fail to deal with the side tissue. So a woman might start out a H, and be "reduced" to an F in the front... but still have the side tissue of an H. Difficult difficult fit. Because at that point the under wire has to have the depth of an H (to not hit breast tissue on the side/ cause discomfort), but the cup has to have the depth of an F.

Ask how the surgeon deals with that. Ask to see pictures of different stages of healing. What is the policy if you don't like something about the reduction? What size does the surgeon recommend you end up? Is it in line with what you were thinking about/ the contour bra size you liked best in your fitting?

As for smaller bust-lines suffering less from compression... ehhh... one can argue that there is less damage, or that there is similar damage (just not as obvious). Soft tissue atrophy is soft tissue atrophy, and ligament damage is ligament damage. I'd be really blunt in your surgical consultations about your goals - ability to bind when you feel like it, but minimize damage - and see what the surgeon's views are. They may suggest a slightly smaller end size than you'd considered, or feel it would be beneficial to do a lift instead of/ in addition to the reduction, etc.

Alright, this is a boob question and not a lingerie question, but it's worth a try:

Do you know anything about lipo breast reductions and have you seen results first hand?

I'm seriously considering it a few years down the road as a way to possibly help mitigate long-term tissue damage from chest compression. I want my to have my cake and eat it too-- boobs sometimes, flattish, 'uniboob' chest other times, so top surgery isn't appealing to me at all. I understand that wearing a good-fitting bra as often as possible will help, but do you know if smaller breasts are less susceptible to tissue damage and drift than bigger ones?

I am currently measuring a 38H (uk) I would really like to get a leather bra, but all the ones I see are halter neck or bikini in style which offer no where near the support I need.
Do you know anyone who makes one (or even fake leather)

Many thanks xxx

I am currently measuring a 38H (uk) I would really like to get a leather bra, but all the ones I see are halter neck or bikini in style which offer no where near the support I need.
Do you know anyone who makes one (or even fake leather)

Many thanks xxx

I'm not sure you're going to have much luck with that... the leather halter/ bikini style tops I've seen, are designed for augmentations and have ZERO structural support.

My best suggestion might be to have a seamstress use one of your current bras as a pattern, and have something custom made. I did a quick Google, and even the "plus size" things I came across, wouldn't fit anything larger than an F.

Back