All Things 80's...

Well, the two that jumped out the most were Berlin and The Cars.

Excuse me?

And the song mentioned for Berlin wasn't even their number one hit that won a Grammy and an Oscar....

But to me, who has a taste for independent labels anyway, a one-hit wonder is a very different thing, too...
I know, wtf? Though, I wasn't listening to America's Top 40 or the crap they played on KHTR. :rolleyes:
 
I had a pompadour for awhile, wore my hair like Adam... then in the mid eighties went glam since I used to travel up to the Sunset Strip with buddies and see bands at Gazzaris or hang out in the parking lot of the Rainbow. Dokken, Ratt, WASP, Keel, Warrant, Rough Cutt were all a part of that scene although Ratt and Warrant followed Crue to national attention.

I graduated in 85, Bel. My brother in 84. A mutual friend of ours was in a band throughout most of our years in high school. My brother was their "roadie" for a time before he had a falling out with a couple of the band members.

Didn't stop me from hanging out with the band though since I was friends with the lead singer's sister (still am to this day, too.)

Saw a lot of local bands in those days. Went to see them at places like Harpo's, The Ritz and the Studio Lounge. Bands like DC Drive, Rhythm Corps, Savage Grace (not to be mistaken for Savage Garden who came much, much later and weren't Detroit based if I recall), Strut, Bitter Sweet Alley and The Romantics.

One of our local radio stations here used to play only local stuff from like 8-midnight on Friday nights. A couple of the bands went nationwide, but most of them just faded into the background after a few years.

Oh yeah, I got to go see Ted Nugent once, too :D
 
*sigh* God, I miss the 80's.

Good know know I'm in good company in my sentiments. Saw some leg warmers in a store the other day and almost bought them.


I dont' remember if I saw it or not but wearing tons of bracelets, not just the jelly ones.

Oh and Revenge of the Nerds.
 
What about the things people said during the 80's?

The valley girl talk: "Oh my god! Gag me with a spoon!"

:rolleyes:

Everything was "awesome!" or "rad!" or "tubular!" and dumb people were "airheads."

And who could forget Judd Nelson's, "Eat my shorts!" ;)

And there was ET's "Penis breath." :D
 
I had this at 20. :D

This is pre-rat tail (and post "Sun-In"), taken the spring before I finished my undergrad degree.

Oh, and Flashdance... which inspires my "work wardrobe" to this day. ;)

OMG, Imp, that hairstyle was so >PERFECTLY< 80s! (And yeah, it would've been seriously, massively hot in context.)

Mind you, I happen to like the Flashdance style a lot, still.

Oh, here's something 80s I don't think anyone's mentioned yet:

Moon boots​
 
The 80's were better in the sense that anything went. Personally, I think the looks were a lot easier to pull off for most people than the skinny looks of the 90's and today. It was definitely cheaper for me to cut up a t-shirt and buy a vintage blazer back in the day.

*sigh* God, I miss the 80's.

There are a lot of things I miss about the 80s. Both my grandmothers were still alive and I really wish I had gotten to know about them because I've only discovered how fascinating they were since they died. :(

And I should've divorced my first wife 9 years before I did and married Kim. Damnit.
 
What about the things people said during the 80's?

The valley girl talk: "Oh my god! Gag me with a spoon!"

:rolleyes:

Everything was "awesome!" or "rad!" or "tubular!" and dumb people were "airheads."

And who could forget Judd Nelson's, "Eat my shorts!" ;)

And there was ET's "Penis breath." :D

Don't forget "TO-tally!"
 
When it comes to how I talk, I don't think I ever left the eighties...
 
How in the hell is it possible that NO ONE has mentioned The Transformers?

Have I taught you people nothing? Such ignorance must not go unpunished!!!

However...

I am le tired, and too lazy to do anything about it right now.

So a stern finger wagging will have to suffice. *wags finger furiously*
 
How in the hell is it possible that NO ONE has mentioned The Transformers?

Have I taught you people nothing? Such ignorance must not go unpunished!!!

However...

I am le tired, and too lazy to do anything about it right now.

So a stern finger wagging will have to suffice. *wags finger furiously*

Um, we were waiting for you? :D


I'm not sure when Transformers came out, but I think it must've been when I was older because I don't remember my step-brothers being into it. They were all about He-Man, Go-bots and Stomper 4x4's.
 
How in the hell is it possible that NO ONE has mentioned The Transformers?

Have I taught you people nothing? Such ignorance must not go unpunished!!!

However...

I am le tired, and too lazy to do anything about it right now.

So a stern finger wagging will have to suffice. *wags finger furiously*

LOL actually I figured you would be seriously overjoyed at the chance to talk Op..Opt....Opimotus...Opimaru...oh hell what was that name again? Oh yeah Megatron!
 
LOL actually I figured you would be seriously overjoyed at the chance to talk Op..Opt....Opimotus...Opimaru...oh hell what was that name again? Oh yeah Megatron!

*glares venomously*

Um, we were waiting for you? :D


I'm not sure when Transformers came out, but I think it must've been when I was older because I don't remember my step-brothers being into it. They were all about He-Man, Go-bots and Stomper 4x4's.

*Ahem*

The Transformers toy line officially began in 1984, utilizing toys from the Japanese Diaclone toy line that featured vehicles turning into robots. However, rather than having the vehicles/robots operated by humans as in the Diaclone line, Hasbro decided to make the machines themselves sentient, creating a story and personalities for each individual robot. Thus the Autobots and Decepticons were born. To coincide with this toy line, Hasbro also enlisted Marvel and Sunbow to create both a comic and cartoon based on the franchise. In fact, there were two ongoing Transformers comics, one based in America and the other in the UK.

However, Hasbro started to move away from it's original concept of having existing vehicles transform into robots, and instead started developing futuristic vehicles that had more realistic robot modes. This is what many (including myself) believe to be the downfall of the original Transformers line. This was further compounded with the release of Transformers: The Movie, in which many of the older robots were killed off in favor of the newer releases, including Optimus Prime. This created a huge backlash that they never quite recovered from. Towards the end of the toy's run, Hasbro developed many gimmicks which they hoped would renew interest in the line, and even went so far as to bring back Optimus Prime. However, the damage had been done, and the toy line soon came to an end in the US (with non-transforming Transformers no less. :rolleyes: )

This did not spell the end of the Transformers franchise however as it still had a significant following in Japan, which still continued to create Transformers series. The Transformers had a rebirth in the early 90's with Generation 2, and then moved into the Beast Wars/Machines era, Robots in Disguise, the Unicron trilogy (Armada, Energon and Cybertron), and recently Transformers Animated (which is in its final season). We've also had a live action Transformers move, with the second due out this summer. The comic has seen renewed life as well through the now non-existent Dreamwave Productions and IDW. The Toys are also doing well, with three major lines including Animated, Movie, and Universe.
 
How about a list of everything mentioned thus far ;)

$1.00 gallon of gas
acid washed jeans
AIDS
Air Supply
airheads
Alf
And net T-shirts.
Atari 2600
awesome!
Babylon Five
Basic Instinct
Becoming a Star Trek TNG fan
Being educated about classic rock...thank God for that...
Berlin Wall comes down
Better Off Dead
BIG hair...unless it was brushing the roof of your car, it wasn't big enough.
Bill Blass
birth of the real art of Djing
Black Monday
Bottle tokes
Break Dancing
breakdance
Breakfast Club
Cabbage Patch Dolls
Cabbage Patch Dolls
Calvin Kleins
Calvin Klien
Care Bears
Challenger space shuttle
Charles Barkley
Cheers
Chernobyl
Chubbles God I loved this toy
Cindi Lauper
Clear Sodas
Cocaine
Cola Wars including New Coke vs. Coke Classic
Cosby Show
Cosmic
Countdown on Sundays
Creepy Crawlers!
crimped hair
Culture Club
Def Leppard
Dirty Dancing
Don Johnson was the Alpha Male.
Duran Duran
Dynasty
Eat my shorts!
Esprit
ET
Facts of Life
Fame
Family Ties
Farm Aid
Flashdance
Fraggle Rock
Frankie Goes to Hollywood
funny fashions all around!
Funny haircuts
funny suits
garbage pail kid stickers
Ghostbusters
GI Joe the movie
Girl bands like "The Bangles" (Susanna Hoffs is still cute)
Glam Rock
Glass Tiger
Going Live
graffiti that was ART
Gremlins
Gummi Bears
Hair
Hair Bands (Platinum Blonde, Ratt, Van Halen)
Having a rat tail
heat change t-shirts
High-top sneakers
Hill Street Blues
Hiphop
Home alone
Huey Lewis and the News
huge eyebrows
Iran Hostage Crisis
Iran/Contra
Jane Fonda's workout videos
Jellies
Jelly bracelets
Jimmy Z
Joe Montana and Jerry Rice were the top QB/WR tandem
John Matuzak (Raiders)
Karate Kid (Wax On, Wax Off)
Karl Malone
Ked's
Knight Rider (who didn't want that car, huh?)
L.A. Gear (had me a pair of black and white high tops with neon pink laces )
Lady Hawke
Large earrings
Larry Bird
Leg Warmers
Live Aid
Long hair on men
Luke and Laura's Wedding (General Hospital)
Magic Johnson
Married…With Children
Men in Tights
Miami Vice
Michael Jordan
Mini Skirts
Molly Ringwald
Monchichi
Moon boots
Moonlighting (Bruce Willis & Cybil Shepard)
Mortal Kombat
Mr. T (The A-Team)
Mt. St. Helens
MTV
Music Videos
my little pony w/translucent wings that flapped
New Coke
Night Court
Ninja Gaiden
Ninjas
One Crazy Summer
Osh Kosh Dungarees
Pac-Man
paisley prints
Paisleys
Parachute Pants
Patrick Ewing
Penis breath.
Pepsi Free (Remember that?)
permed hair
Phil Collins
pink lip gloss
Pitfall
polka dots
Polo
Post-It
preppies
Prince
puffy stickers
Ramones
Read my lips, NO NEW TAXES. - George H.W. Bush
Revenge of the Nerds
Romancing the Stone
Ronald Reagan.
Rubik's Cube
Samantha Fox, Ginger Lynn and Vanity.
satin duster coats
Scottie Pippin
Scratch n sniff stickers
Scratching
Scrunch socks
Scrunchies
Seeing Porkys 2 at the Drive In in a Datsun 120Y
Sesame Street
Sixteen Candles
Slap bracelets
Smurfs
snap bracelets
Spandex
Spiked Hair
Spuds Mackenzie
STNG
Street Fighter
Super Mario Bros.
Superman (Christopher Reeves)
Suspenders with jeans.
Swatch
sweater worn over the shoulder look
t-shirt rings
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Terminator
Tesla
The A-Team
The Alex P. Keaton look
the B-52s
The Brat Pack
The Eagles went to the Superbowl with Ron "Jaws" Jaworski
The Eurythmics
The first Star Trek movies
the Go-Gos
The Goonies
The MASH movie ending an era.
The murders of George Moscone and Harvey Milk
the rise of the MetroSexual,
The Simpsons (on the Tracey Ullman Show)
The War on Drugs
Thriller
Thundercats
Tiffany
Tight-rolling the cuffs of jeans
TO-tally
Top Gun
Trans-Ams
Transformers
Trapper Keepers
Trivial Pursuit
trolls
tubular!
Twisted Sister
Urban Cowboy
Valentino jeans! LOL
Valley Girl
valley girl talk
VCR's
VH-1
Vidal Sassoon
Walkmans
War of the Roses
Watching Dean Lukin win gold at the 84 LA Games
We Are the World (Ethiopia famine relief)
Where's the beef?
Whitesnake
Who shot JR?
Zeltser Seltser(sp?)
 
Trombonus... Dude. Look man, I graduated high school the year they were introduced. Transformers was behind me, man. I was totally into the first wave of Star Wars Toys and 12" GI Joes and Steve Austin....but that was the 1970's, not the '80s.

While you were thinking about Megatron I was only thinking about sex, drugs and rock & Roll. Pretty much in that order.
 
Trombonus... Dude. Look man, I graduated high school the year they were introduced. Transformers was behind me, man. I was totally into the first wave of Star Wars Toys and 12" GI Joes and Steve Austin....but that was the 1970's, not the '80s.

While you were thinking about Megatron I was only thinking about sex, drugs and rock & Roll. Pretty much in that order.

Well, I was 2 years old when they came out. o_O
 
Oh, sorry, I must've had my head stuck in my Barbie Dream House and missed all that. ;)

Oh, well allow me to post more then. I haven't even begun to scratch the surface of a fraction of my Transformers knowledge...
 
Goth
Game & Watch
Yuppies
Ghettoblasters
Speak n Spell
Sniglets
Max Headroom
 
Back
Top