odor/taste issues - help!

raven7647

Virgin
Joined
Aug 19, 2002
Posts
22
Last night I went down on my girlfriend for the first time. In fact, it was my first experience with oral sex with anyone. So, you ask, what's the big deal?

Well, I can hardly stand her odor or taste. She gets extremely wet simply from kissing/fondling and her smell is extremely pungent (I can usually smell it when I kiss her tummy - even if she has clothes on). The smell isn't terrible, but when I get right up against the source it is a bit too pungent.

From what I've read, she could have an infection, but she just visited her gynecologist last month. She showers almost everyday and has good hygene. The smell isn't fishy - just extremely pungent.

I'm at a loss about what to do. I want nothing more than to make her feel great - but last night was not the best experience. I always imagined I would love performing cunnilingus, but suddenly I'm wondering if it was all just a fantasy. I constantly her men talking about how good their girl tastes.

I realize this can be a rather sensitive issue, so last night I handled it carefully by complimenting her and pushing through the bad smell/taste. But now I don't know what to do. Should I just hope I get used to it? Should I say something to her? We have great communication, so I'm not all that worried about bringing the issue up, but I don't want to jump the gun.

Have any of you out there had similar experiences? Women, how do you suggest I bring it up?

Thanks for reading!
 
Sorry, i cant come up with exactly how to bring the conversation up, but i thought i would drop my two cents in on a possible solution.

Many things can affect the way people taste/smell, if she smokes, it can come out in her secretions. another important thing is diet. For example, if someone eats cantelope, they can over the course of a week change their taste to slightly sweet. but on the other hand, if they eat a lot of citrus fruit and heavily spiced foods, it can be acidic, salty, you name it.

You might have to expiriment a bit to find the right combination, but it can help.
 
other then infection or the onset of her menstrual cycle I can't think of any reason why her vaginal lubrication should have an unpleasant taste or odor to it. I guess as graphic as this might seem it would be better if I knew exactly what pungent meant.

The only other thing I could think of might be the underwear she wears. If she isn't wearing undies witha cotton crotch that " breathes" and she's in tight jeans all day things may get a bit swampy down there even if she showers every day and has good hygiene.
Just to let you know, having just seen her GYN doesn't rule out infection at all. The infection may not have been present when she was seen, or she may not have any symptoms to complain of so no culture was taken to check for the presence of infection.

Other then her douching before you go down on her...there's a mood killer huh?- I don't know what to suggest to help. I wouldn't however encourage you to just " push through it". It will end up ruining what should be a great experience and mutually enjoyable to both of you. Since you have good communication I would see if the problem is still there the next time and if it is be honest and talk to her about it. Try asking her if she's maybe used a new body wash or something that might have left a lingering unpleasant odor.
Best of luck!
 
Maybe try showering together before sex? Tell her you want to get her squeaky clean before you dirty her up. That's only a possible temporary solution though - since if its an infection, or a result of diet, it's going to be there no matter what.

Since you've never performed oral on another woman, I gather you have nothing to compare the odor and taste to? That's unfortunate, because it would make it easier for you to know if there was a cause for concern. Quite simply, if this is going to be a problem for you, you may just have to discuss it with her. I have absolutely no idea how you broach that subject without making it insulting though. Best of luck!
 
Thanks for your kind advice mystic_Arrival! I knew diet had something to do with her taste/smell, but I didn't realize it could make that much of a difference.

She doesn't smoke and doesn't eat that many spicy foods. I heard something about cranberry juice being helpful. Anyone have any experience with it?
 
You all are amazing! I put up a post and 15 minutes later have three helpful responses.

Mskey- Okay, what I mean by pungent is an extremely musky scent - but not in a good way. It's kinda like the way I smell when I haven't showered for a while - but way, way stronger, almost overpowering. I know that isn't all the descriptive, but I don't have much to compare it to.

lilnymph28- Yeah, the fact that I haven't performed oral on another woman doesn't help the situation. I like the idea of showering together first.

Thank you all!
 
Also, eating pineapple is supposed to make it sweeter, and I even read somewhere that yogurt, either eaten or actually inserted, can make it taste really sweet. Don't know how much stock I put in that, though it could certainly make for some interesting foreplay. Best of luck!
 
Mskey- Thanks for the advice on infection. I'm really glad to be educated on this stuff. But how do I know if it really is an infection or just "normal"?

She also wears cotton undies that are breathable - so I doubt that is the issue.
 
raven7647 said:
She showers almost everyday and has good hygene.

ok, that could be your problem right there.
almost everyday is certainly not what i would call good hygeine!
some women, like myself, find they need to shower more than that (in my case, twice a day).
she should stop wearing any synthetic fabrics (no more closed nylons), ease up on the tight jeans, and maybe go bare once in a while (sans knickers!) to let things breathe a little!

other than that, she could try incorperating 8-10 glasses of water into her daily diet, as well as some acid fruits and vegetables, like pineapple, berries, stonefruits.
that may have an effect on the composition of her juices, and might help sweeten things up a little.

but definately start with the shower angle first.

good luck - eating a sweet pussy is one of lifes great joys!!!!
 
fabricator-

Wow, that was exactly the advice I needed. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Although I don't know if my girl and I are ready (and certainly don't have enough experience) to talk about this stuff completely honestly and openly. But, just hearing your words makes me feel much more confident and hopeful about dealing with this issue.

Thanks for the info and encouragement.
 
warrior queen-

Now that I think about it, last night she hadn't showered in probably 24 hours! I guess that could be a major part of the problem. Next time I'll do my best to encourage a shower first.

If that doesn't help enough, I'll try some of the other tactics you suggest.

Thanks so much!
 
another quick hint - maybe she could trim her pubes shorter.
i find that if i leave my pubic hair to go 'au naturale', then it kinda 'traps' any moisture and subsequent odour.
if she doesn't want to go completely bare (i don't) then a trim should do it.
 
I have to agree with others here - I picked up on the "almost daily" shower thing as well. I know I have to shower at least once a day (unless I'm camping, and then I feel "icky" until I can get under a hot shower head!). If I've showered in the morning and it's a hot summer day, I feel extremely uncomfortable if my partner gets his face anywhere near my pussy! He may say I'm okay, but I'm not comfortable.

I know the times when I'm sick with a flu and just don't have the energy to shower, sometimes I can smell myself and I don't think it's pleasant. (It's often what gets me out of bed to at least shower or sponge bath!)

Encourage her to shower daily - or at least before sex. I would say that is the first step.
 
Well, I'm definitely getting the shower message loud and clear. The reason I said "almost daily" is because she doesn't shower every morning like I do. She'll shower at random times in the day, whenever she feels like she needs one (which usually ends up being daily, but sometimes every-other-day).

Now the question is how to encourage her to shower without hurting her feelings.

Thank you all for your advice and encouragement!
 
raven7647 said:
Well, I'm definitely getting the shower message loud and clear. The reason I said "almost daily" is because she doesn't shower every morning like I do. She'll shower at random times in the day, whenever she feels like she needs one (which usually ends up being daily, but sometimes every-other-day).

Now the question is how to encourage her to shower without hurting her feelings.

Thank you all for your advice and encouragement!

easiest way to encourage her?

SHOWER SEX!!!!!

get in the shower with her, have fun with the soap (great foreplay - slippery, slidey washing eachother everywhere , hands going all over......mmmmmmmmm), then bend her over and take her from behind - fun, fun! - then wash eachother down again.........
...... you get the idea :D
 
warrior queen said:
easiest way to encourage her?

SHOWER SEX!!!!!

get in the shower with her, have fun with the soap (great foreplay - slippery, slidey washing eachother everywhere , hands going all over......mmmmmmmmm), then bend her over and take her from behind - fun, fun! - then wash eachother down again.........
...... you get the idea :D


Wow, you're getting me going just reading that. ;)
 
Great advice all round from the Board. My 2 cents to add to the pot. Ruling out infection etc, yes it can be nice to be fresh from the shower and yes unwashed people smell stronger than washed people..if you have never gone down on a woman, you may well be shocked and surprised at her scent. It's a peculiar, curious,musky animal scent isn't it? Not something a man is likely to smell everyday, at least not up close. It will shock you. It sometimes shocks us! The scent will generally get stronger or more apparent as she gets more aroused. It's a basic biological/chemical response and a good sign.

As earthy as is it sounds my sweet husband of 15 years would prefer me not to shower just before sex, and has told me that on numerous occasions. It's hard not to be deeply in love with a man who genuinely loves the way you smell.;)

As Fabricator says so eloquently, tread carefully, you sound pretty aware Raven, you know there's enough stuff in life for a girl to be hung up about and this is an extremely sensitive issue for lots of women. Try the shower sex or the pre sex shower but don't go overboard on the soap, it's not that great for a healthy pussy.

Good luck. :)
 
Last edited:
I've heard that eating onions leads to a woman being pungent down below. I would hope that my BF would tell me if I was icky down there, but he doesn't seem to care about it at all. He will expect me to suck his dick when he hasn't showered, and gets all offended if I tell him he's grody and needs to clean it. He even tried to get me to give him head read after we had anal sex once. When I told him he was out of his mind, he said, "Why? My ex wife did it all the time!"

:rolleyes:
 
I'll be honest...

although I've never had anyone say anything to me about my personal taste or smell, it is something I fear. I am always worried that I don't smell or taste good...I have good personal hygiene...I shave myself completely, take regular showers, make sure to get the girl nice and clean...still it is always a worry.

Girls hear so many jokes and things that guys make about a girl smelling or tasting bad...it's a sensitive topic. No one wants it to be them, but these things do happen.

I was thinking, if I was going to be told that I had a smell/taste problem, what would I want the person to say? I think it really comes down to the fact that there is no perfect way to say something or this nature. Try to be as nice and considerate of your gals feelings as you can.
 
does she smoke and drink alot of coffee? Was there a substantial change in her diet?

did she sneeze funny? is it a full moon?

... too many factors and reasons for a bad poot smell.
 
Thank you all for giving your two sense. For now I'm going to tread lightly and see how it goes. I suspect I'll start getting used to (even liking?) her taste/scent before long. If not, I can figure out a way to talk about it sometime down the road.

Our relationship is too important to me to get get hung up on her scent from one evening. A sampling of one is a very poor way to come up with statistics, so I'll have to take a few more samples. :D
 
BlueSugar-

No, she does not smoke or drink coffee and she hasn't had a major change in diet. But part of the issue here is that I have never tasted another woman, so I don't know what to compare it to. Furthermore, the other night was the first time I have tasted her. Like you said, way too many factors...
 
my girlfriend...

mine has the same problem as ravens so this thread is very helpful
 
My 2 Cents

Raven,

You said you heard something about Cranberries.

All around, cranberries are a WONDERFUL thing for women to eat or drink on a regular basis.

I'm not sure how much it will impact the taste if she is free of infections, but it wards off a lot of them.

You mentioned that she just went to her gyno. He may have not said anything because it was a very minor infection which may have progressed now. I know I've gone to the doctor and a week later, things may be totally different.

Yogurt helps too. Keeps all that funky bacteria at the right level.

And it is very important for her to keep up good hygiene.

I have very dry skin, and have tried going one day without a shower, and I couldn't bare to even let my bf touch me that day!
 
Back
Top